What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Grade the 2022 Recruiting Class

What grade would you give the 2022 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A-

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B+

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • B

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • B-

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • C+

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • C

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • C-

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • D

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • F

Votes: 8 6.2%

• Total voters
Yes he can. He’s the guy that shows up with his own eye balls and a stop watch
This is BS. The ranking is based on total points. Total pts that are based on # of recruits in the class. We had the highest # in the conference. The same ranking has USC sitting 10th because they only had 8 recruits. 5 of which were 4 stars or higher. All of their recruits are better than ours. If you take their star averages, they rank 1st in the conference going away. Our average total puts us 11th. That's the metric you want to look at and use.

Depends on if the player can actually play or is a good fit for Colorado. Would you swap a 4 star that will flunk out of school or have other character issues for a 3 star?
Yes, because there is the same likelihood that happens with the 3* recruits that CU brings in.

Depends on if the player can actually play or is a good fit for Colorado. Would you swap a 4 star that will flunk out of school or have other character issues for a 3 star?
You seem to flunk out of this board everyday and we're keeping you around. And you're not even a good fit.

Now, go stand in the corner.

This argument is older that ****, and we cannot always turn the 2 stars into Brian Iwuh(s). But to label this class a bust, or underwhelming is ridiculous.

Sneed, Brown, and Jefferson were great transfer pickups. Dixson, McCown, Smith, Venn, and Page are quality recruits who could see the field soon.

and this year specifically, I believe CU did a good job identifying players with circumstances that limited some recruiting exposure.

WR Tyson, switched schools (dude should be a 4 star)
S Salave'a, America Samoan who starred in the Poly bowl, has the lineage
S Smith, Changed positions senior year, played and excelled at a high level
RB Hankerson, (I don't know his circumstances or how we got this kid, but damn he's legit!)

This argument is older that ****, and we cannot always turn the 2 stars into Brian Iwuh(s). But to label this class a bust, or underwhelming is ridiculous.

Sneed, Brown, and Jefferson were great transfer pickups. Dixson, McCown, Smith, Venn, and Page are quality recruits who could see the field soon.

and this year specifically, I believe CU did a good job identifying players with circumstances that limited some recruiting exposure.

WR Tyson, switched schools (dude should be a 4 star)
S Salave'a, America Samoan who starred in the Poly bowl, has the lineage
S Smith, Changed positions senior year, played and excelled at a high level
RB Hankerson, (I don't know his circumstances or how we got this kid, but damn he's legit!)
I agree, but I am concerned about DL. I truly hope they are trying to bring in a few transfers after Spring

Somehow Bama's 4* players can't play? Good fit for Colorado? What the furk? I would take a 4* athlete with character issues over a 3* athlete with the same issues.

Your good character, comes from a great family, looks you in the eyes when shaking hands is the same recruiting BS that was started by DII Dan and that was the beginning of CU's demise.

Is that code for sure he in only a 2* athlete, but he tries really hard? Gets his ass kicked by bigger, stronger and faster players, but comes from a great family? I don't care how well a player is doing in school if he gets his ass kicked every Saturday on the field.

The majority of recruits are 3 stars. Programs like Utah, Wisconsin and Boise state do a good job of player development. Star rating doesn't matter. The best player will play.

The majority of recruits are 3 stars. Programs like Utah, Wisconsin and Boise state do a good job of player development. Star rating doesn't matter. The best player will play.
Do you know how many players are rated at 3 stars? Of course there are more in the NFL. Maybe you should look at percentages rather than numbers because percentages tell the real story. Stars do matter, quit being so good ignorant.

Do you know how many players are rated at 3 stars? Of course there are more in the NFL. Maybe you should look at percentages rather than numbers because percentages tell the real story. Stars do matter, quit being so good ignorant.
Barking up the wrong tree there man. :D

So I guess that Georgia and Alabama and Michigan and in prior years Ohio State and Clemson and other schools being in the National Championship Playoff had nothing to do with those guys they recruited being 4* and 5* players.

They must win because they get guys who are good fits and try really hard.

Outside of a guy like the WR Tyson this year (which 247 even admitted was a low ranking based off what they saw), very few people get missed by the multi million dollar machine that is college football scouting. Stars matter, there’s exceptions to the rule, but weird to see anyone generally denying it

Outside of a guy like the WR Tyson this year (which 247 even admitted was a low ranking based off what they saw), very few people get missed by the multi million dollar machine that is college football scouting. Stars matter, there’s exceptions to the rule, but weird to see anyone generally denying it
Whaddya mean? You’re saying that playing the lottery isn’t a sound retirement strategy?!

Hey genius, where’s that analysis on adding hockey and converting Coors into an ice rink that you said was coming over a week ago?

We need a sarcasm font. You think I have time to produce a report lol.
So when you said this…
Give me another day.
What, you were just completely full of s**t? If you’re just not going to try or you’ve determined it’s not really possible, that’s fine just own up to it. But you’ve had some really awful takes and when you’re challenged on those takes don’t run and hide.

So when you said this…

What, you were just completely full of s**t? If you’re just not going to try or you’ve determined it’s not really possible, that’s fine just own up to it. But you’ve had some really awful takes and when you’re challenged on those takes don’t run and hide.
To be honest, when he said “give me another day”, I kind of assumed he was being a smarmy dick who had no intentions of backing up his ridiculous assertion

I was pretty sure he’d never actually deliver the goods but I’m not letting that bulls**t off the hook. Saying stupid things then not standing behind it is chicken s**t.
Mark Wahlberg Chill GIF

You’re letting bigbang beat you.

There are times when I think BB2 genuinely means everything he posts here. Then he posts some totally absurd **** that is just so out there that no sane person with half a brain could actually believe. It’s at those times when I come to the conclusion that this is the biggest trolling job in the history of fan sites anywhere.

Why do you consistently use Boise as an example? If CU's goal is to be Boise, we should join the Mountain West. If Boise played in a P5 conference they would get beat more times than they would win. Wisconsin and Utah's 2022 classes are rated higher than CU. You say those schools coach up the players, but they start with better players.

Count the number of four/five star players who get regular playing time and are in this year’s Super Bowl. Then, get back to us.
Well, I don't have time for a player by player analysis. And I am not getting into 4 stars, because my post was about 5 stars only. But an article on the internet (thus true) suggests there are only 6 players who were graded 5 stars, including Stafford. Burrow was not. Cooper Kupp played for Eastern Washington,so..... Bleacher report says that 39% of 5 stars are "retained" in the NFL after being drafted.

Well, I don't have time for a player by player analysis. And I am not getting into 4 stars, because my post was about 5 stars only. But an article on the internet (thus true) suggests there are only 6 players who were graded 5 stars, including Stafford. Burrow was not. Cooper Kupp played for Eastern Washington,so..... Bleacher report says that 39% of 5 stars are "retained" in the NFL after being drafted.
Why does any of that matter? As a CU fan, I care how those players did in college - if they have a long NFL career great, but that’s not my concern when I’m looking at recruits.

Tim Tebow won 2 national championships. Vince Young had one of the greatest college football seasons ever - ditto Reggie Bush, Robert Griffen III, Jamarcus Russell and on and on. The fact that none of them had much NFL success doesn’t take away from them being highly rated recruits who were elite college players.

Why does any of that matter? As a CU fan, I care how those players did in college - if they have a long NFL career great, but that’s not my concern when I’m looking at recruits.

Tim Tebow won 2 national championships. Vince Young had one of the greatest college football seasons ever - ditto Reggie Bush, Robert Griffen III, Jamarcus Russell and on and on. The fact that none of them had much NFL success doesn’t take away from them being highly rated recruits who were elite college players.
I'm pretty sure all those players you mention would not have been "good fit for Colorado".

So….unrated players are just as likely to play in the NFL than 5 star players?

This is BS. The ranking is based on total points. Total pts that are based on # of recruits in the class. We had the highest # in the conference. The same ranking has USC sitting 10th because they only had 8 recruits. 5 of which were 4 stars or higher. All of their recruits are better than ours. If you take their star averages, they rank 1st in the conference going away. Our average total puts us 11th. That's the metric you want to look at and use.
Definitely an asterisk to how classes will be ranked going forward with the immediate transfer portal now.

It seems to me that Dorrell is wanting to go full classes every year, whereas a lot of programs will only recruit 12-20 each year and fill the roster with half immediate transfers. Either way, I think recruiting ratings will be hard to judge because of this. You can still use the averages, but that doesn't include transfers (at least I don't think it does).

MSU will be a good case study to see if they continue the large transfers into the program or go back to a traditional sized class.

1. There are not many 5-star players every year. Using your BR numbers… The fact that 39% of 5-stars are “retained” (whatever that means in this context) in the NFL with a 3-6 year gap between their evaluation and going to the NFL is astoundingly good.
2. The distinction between 4-star and 5-star players is blurry since the rating sometimes depends upon the service in question. Analyzing 4-star and 5-star player outcomes gives you a MUCH better assessment of top end players. I suspect you don’t want to talk about 4-stars because a) 4-stars wash out at CU plenty and b) you’d notice that the best players in the NFL are more likely to have been 4-star or 5-star players coming out of HS. This is particularly true of the last 10 years when the internet has made scouting more players possible.

Exceptions like Cooper Kupp do not prove the rule. There are hundreds of thousands of unrated/low rated guys who played FCS ball who are working regular jobs. That one guy made it doesn’t prove that all of the other 25-30 4-5 star players who dominate are worthless.

Back