What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Grade the 2022 Recruiting Class

What grade would you give the 2022 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A-

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B+

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • B

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • B-

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • C+

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • C

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • C-

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • D

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • F

Votes: 8 6.2%

• Total voters
Stars don't matter. Can he play football or not? Don't care if you are a 1 star or a 5 star.
You do realize there is a correlation between the number of stars the recruit has and his ability to, you know, play football? That’s what those stars mean. Were you not aware of that? I mean, that’s the whole reason for the stars in the first place. Seems like you’re having a tough time making that connection.

It is not an exact science. Not every so called 5 star can play. Not every 1 star is a bad player. So why should I usew such a flawed system to evaluate players. It is like saying the number one pick in the NFL draft is going to be a hall of famer. What really matters is can he play or not. Not some star rating made by journalists.

It is not an exact science. Not every so called 5 star can play. Not every 1 star is a bad player. So why should I usew such a flawed system to evaluate players. It is like saying the number one pick in the NFL draft is going to be a hall of famer. What really matters is can he play or not. Not some star rating made by journalists.
1. MOST 5 star players can play
2. MOST 1 star players can’t play at the P5 level
3. They aren’t journalists. The people doing the ratings are football scouts who have been doing this for a long time. They go to the games, they attend the camps, they talk with their HS coaches, they talk with the college coaches recruiting them, they use a combination of their own eye test and a stop watch, and they look at the programs pursuing them. They take all of that data and create a rating.

There are highly rated guys who don’t live up to their rating and can’t play, but there are a lot more lowly rated guys who can’t play. These are facts. This isn’t hard to understand and has been proven over decades of recruiting data.

Do you accept that experts in player evaluations are the ones who do the ratings?

As long as there are one or two 2* players who outperform, the “stars don’t matter” crowd will always ignore historical data and trends and point to these exceptions to validate their (wrong) opinion.

here is a list of #1 overall picks that are in the NFL hall of Fame:

OJ Simpson, Terry Bradshaw, Earl Campbell, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning. Eli Manning has a good chance once eligible. Does being the number one overall pick guarantee you a spot in Canton? No. Based on percentages alone, you stand a better chance of being in the NFL hall of Fame if you are a number one overall pick, though.

In addition, both starting quarterbacks in this years Super Bowl were overall #1 picks in the NFL draft. Do you think that’s just some kind of weird coincidence?

You seem to be arguing that there are guys picked in the 6th round who made the Hall of Fame, so why bother with a first round pick? Do you see the fallacy in that logic? The same thing holds true for recruiting rankings. While being a 5* recruit does not guarantee success, the historical percentages definitely point to recruiting rankings being a predictor of future college football success. Saying “it’s an inexact science” is bull****. Just because you have a 25% chance of washout as a 5* recruit doesn’t mean you should concentrate on guys who have a 50% chance of failure, but might be “good guys”.

…And like the nimble swallows returning to Capistrano or the pillow white snow geese completing their harrowing journey to the newly thawing tundra, in a pattern as predictable as the sunrise, Allbuffs completes the annual cycle in early February by broaching the topic “Do stars matter?”

Soon after all of the Allbuffs have opined, the topic will gracefully morph to “Why can’t we have a spring game like everyone else?” And the biorhythm will start anew.

…And like the nimble swallows returning to Capistrano or the pillow white snow geese completing their harrowing journey to the newly thawing tundra, in a pattern as predictable as the sunrise, Allbuffs completes the annual cycle in early February by broaching the topic “Do stars matter?”

Soon after all of the Allbuffs have opined, the topic will gracefully morph to “Why can’t we have a spring game like everyone else?” And the biorhythm will start anew.

Beautiful.

Wait! There was a National Signing Day? I missed it! I used to look forward to the first Wednesday in October. I’d have the radio on listening to a guy like John Regal discuss it. Usually the CU and CSU coaches would make there rounds on the talk shows discussing the class. This year I didn’t even realize it had happened.

Jesus Christ, I'm at a loss for words. **** it, I'll just take the high road today. That's my high 3* or low 4* response. :D

Few debates are ever settled here, in spite of the “full stop” language that is often tossed around. Still, I honestly thought we had moved past the “stars don’t matter” debate. I guess we have with the exception of one poster.

I'm smart enough to have avoided this thread. That gives me a leg up on a lot of you!
Rare Ltd Dog GIF by Sea of Thieves

The first and only poster I've put on ignore. The problem is, he still fills my feed with the "you're ignoring the content of this member" message. Like prolifically. Then all you yahoos respond to him and the cycle begins again. There's no escaping BB2!
The worst downgrade the AllBuffs admins implemented was the quote replies having the ignored content listing. Bring us back to full ignore when a poster is typing into the wind!

The first and only poster I've put on ignore. The problem is, he still fills my feed with the "you're ignoring the content of this member" message. Like prolifically. Then all you yahoos respond to him and the cycle begins again. There's no escaping BB2!
He's the gift that keeps on giving!

BB2 is an allbuffs treasure. I’ll never put him on ignore. It’s like watching a slow motion train wreck. It’s nearly impossible to avert my eyes.

Back