What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

GT: Hampton Inn (4-4) @ Colorado (9-1)

I think Tad may have gotten a bit carried away comparing him to Linas Kleiza, but I'll take 8 points as a good sign based on what we had seen glimpses of.

I was at the game tonight. I know it was supposed to be a blowout.. But damn, this looks like a complete team. I think we really have the chance to make some noise in the conference season this year.

We played very solid D, good half court passing, and an opportunistic transition game.

I know that Hampton decided not to play defense or rebound on the offensive glass much. But we really owned them tonight.

Josh Scott is looking great. Miller was a force. King and Fortune knocked down some shots. Our guards set up plays and didn't turn the ball over.

Such a fun game to enjoy tonight.

Watching him against Nichols it was pretthy obvious that he is not a Pac player. He was not athletic and could not get up and down the floor without being gassed. His feet were slow and he couldn't cover anyone. This was a miss from what I have seen unless there is huge improvement somewhere.

He's a better athlete than some of the big lugs who have been effective against us in the past. He isn't as athletic as Wes but few big guys are.

He has decent feet and a big strong body, in limited time he has shown the coordination to dribble and move some and to get off some varied shots. At worst I'd put his ceiling at a solid PAC back-up big man and he could go higher. As DBT mentioned big guys often develop late, even more-so if their growth has been recent. If you use the Nicholls game as a game half our guys don't belong in the RMAC much less the PAC12.

This Hampton team is also one that has been in the tourney recently and while definitely not P5 level they have some decent big bodies on the front line. We did well against them, even before they got into foul trouble. After last nights debacle it looks like Tad got their attention.

http://www.hamptonpirates.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Last edited:
CU just overwhelmed Hampton tonight. Very strong frontcourt coupled with guys hitting from three point distance. I think Hampton got two offensive rebounds all night. When you're cold, you better get a rebound or two or you will have what happened tonight. CU looked like they were toying with those guys.

Flushed Nicholls and took care of business.

Sounds like Hampton might have been road weary / dead legs, so they didn't give their best effort in this one. But it wouldn't have mattered if they had. Buffs weren't going to let Friday's performance turn into a trend.

Flushed Nicholls and took care of business.

Sounds like Hampton might have been road weary / dead legs, so they didn't give their best effort in this one. But it wouldn't have mattered if they had. Buffs weren't going to let Friday's performance turn into a trend.

Hampton has played 1 home game the entire season (November 20). They've basically been on the road nonstop since and the travel was harsh. For instance, they were already out west playing Grand Canyon and NAU earlier this month. They finally have some home games now. I expect to see them settle in and challenge for a Dance bid.

Guz is raw and barely gets any minutes off the bench. Hard to look impressive in that situation. He's obviously got work to do, but definitely no need to write him off. We don't need him this season anyway.

Guz is raw and barely gets any minutes off the bench. Hard to look impressive in that situation. He's obviously got work to do, but definitely no need to write him off. We don't need him this season anyway.

Guz came into Boulder very out of shape. He's just now getting into respectable game shape and as he's gotten there I've seen him improve. Last night was his best performance for sure, he looked a little more athletic than I've seen which I think is the product of him having more energy. He's got a long way to go but, like you said, shouldn't be written off yet.

Also, whoever said he shouldn't shoot threes, he's 2/4 from out there! Let it fly!

Also, whoever said he shouldn't shoot threes, he's 2/4 from out there! Let it fly!
Hey, all I saw was him miss everything on a 3. He was lucky to hit the court. But I will say, his free throw stroke is very nice. I think he is better than Brad thinks. Or, will be.

Yep, I am not impressed. We will see over time but he will not get off the bench when real competition starts in the Pac. Hope Rugged and RK are right about next year or future.

Wes' injury and Guz not being able to contribute immediately at a Pac-12 level (I believe that he will get better, he has a decent offensive skill set, just needs to work on finishing), really shows how Tad should have been testing out the small ball lineup a little more with Fletch/King at the 4.

Seems like the major defensive adjustment we'd have to make is helping/doubling in the post. Our off the ball defensive rotation is a bit slow right now.

Eh I'm not projecting positive or negative. Just saying we haven't seen enough to decide either way.

Yeah, not saying he's going to be a big time player or anything like that, but he is slowly but surely trending upwards.

Guz is a modern day version of Ben Mills, albeit with a little more meat on the frame. Same skill set.

I have to ask, are you high?

Not at the moment.

They're both plodding big men who come off the bench to produce very little. They're not highly gifted basketball players. That's my impression, anyway. I wouldn't count on Guz to produce much for us.

Not at the moment.

They're both plodding big men who come off the bench to produce very little. They're not highly gifted basketball players. That's my impression, anyway. I wouldn't count on Guz to produce much for us.

I wouldn't describe Guz as "plodding." I think he can learn to play defense and rebound in the Pac 12--better than Mills could defend or rebound.

Yeah, Guz and Mills are nothing alike in style other than the fact they're both tall and white.

I was high on Guz heading in to this year, and so far I've been very very wrong. But like many have said, it could just be him trying to get in to shape and he is showing a little bit of progress. I did hear from someone that he hit a couple of 3's in the scrimmage against SMU, and we've seen him show some range so far this year. So there are at least elements. The key is going to be him getting into shape and seeing what he can do. Considering the rotation we're running with right now, he's not going to be needed much this year barring injuries anyway, so let's let him play in to shape.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a stretch 4 with the bulk to bang in the paint. Not giving up on Guz, but I've been disappointed in his fitness and slow pickup of things. Potential to be a nice piece, though.

Last big off the bench. Just like Mills. That's the correlation. Or one of them, at least. Stating the obvious that they don't look alike is, well, obvious. My point is that I think we can expect about the same level of production.

Last big off the bench. Just like Mills. That's the correlation. Or one of them, at least. Stating the obvious that they don't look alike is, well, obvious. My point is that I think we can expect about the same level of production.
doesn't sound like what you said, but ok.

On a different note, the more I see Yaz, the more I like him. Kid is pure hustle. That blocked shot was a thing of beauty. He never gives up on a play.

On a different note, the more I see Yaz, the more I like him. Kid is pure hustle. That blocked shot was a thing of beauty. He never gives up on a play.

Loved that play too, albeit he got lucky blindly throwing his arm around, a foul would have been "ok" in that sitch as opposed to a wide open 3.

Loved that play too, albeit he got lucky blindly throwing his arm around, a foul would have been "ok" in that sitch as opposed to a wide open 3.

True he got lucky, but it also shows a degree of court awareness. I think that as he gets more comfortable here Yaz is going to be one of those point guards who you can use to get things under control when they aren't going right.

I have been critical since Tad got here of our long stretches, sometime 8-10 minutes where we are futile on offense and out of control on defense. By the time we get out of them there has been a 10-15 point swing on the scoreboard. Yaz may develop into the kind of guy who can come off the bench and take control breaking up those dead spots for us. If he is it will win us some games.

True he got lucky, but it also shows a degree of court awareness. I think that as he gets more comfortable here Yaz is going to be one of those point guards who you can use to get things under control when they aren't going right.

Zili is straight up Belgian ninja. He's the guy on the team who kills flies with chopsticks while blindfolded.

Except that they're completely different players. Mills is confined within 5 feet of the hoop and Guz is more of a stretch 4 like 'Nik said. If you're going to straight up compare production, the better match would be Eli instead of Mills.

I don't have signatures enabled, but I really hope Sacky doesn't still have the "knower of all" included in his.

Except that they're completely different players. Mills is confined within 5 feet of the hoop and Guz is more of a stretch 4 like 'Nik said. If you're going to straight up compare production, the better match would be Eli instead of Mills.
Except Eli is the furthest thing from a big.

If you want to point all the ways they're different, go right ahead. The fact remains that they're both the last big off the bench and "maybe" are worth 2-4 points per game in games that matter. Which was my point all along, but the allbuffs hoops mafia has insisted on showing me how incredibly different they are. I'm sure JGisland will chime in soon with some obscure statistic showing how they are completely different players. And I'll simply point out - again - that they're both the last big off the bench and aren't going to give you much production. Are you going to argue that point or simply let it go? Is it THAT important for everybody to know how smart you are?

Back