What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Guess the Attendance: TCU

StormTrooper

Things Have Changed
Club Member
After an offseason that did its very best to destroy my soul, I have crawled out of hibernation to do my solemn duty. Because the moment I stop caring enough to post these is the moment I turn in my fan card.

Friday night. Late kick. Student section will show up very strong, but that won't impact the announced number. Friday night games typically do better than Thursday night games, but the 8pm kick might keep some elderly members of the community away.

Let's look at some recent CU season home openers!
2021 vs. UNC: 44,153
2019 vs. kNU: 52,829
2018 vs. UNH: 42,360
2017 vs. TXST: 43,822

Before Nebraska, the most recent home openers against a P5 team were ASU in 2014 (38,547) and 2011 against Cal (49,532).

The seat map looks...meh. I'm sure the stadium will end up looking fine in person but there are a lot of tickets still available. I think it will beat the UNC figure from last year, but I don't know by how much.

This is why Bohn scheduled CSU every year.

CU attendance sucks. The passion and hype is weak. Student interest is meh. Media coverage is an afterthought. None of this applies when we play CSU.

I don't know how it's possible to draw under 50k against a P5 opponent, but we regularly do. Even for home openers.

/endrant

CU attendance sucks. The passion and hype is weak. Student interest is meh. Media coverage is an afterthought. None of this applies when we play CSU.

I don't know how it's possible to draw under 50k against a P5 opponent, but we regularly do. Even for home openers.

/endrant

Even if they go 0-12 this year there will be major hype for the first two games of next season and Folsom will be sold out for both (and not entirely because of visiting fans).

/endrant

15 years of 0 marketing, 0 engagement, and pure futility.

I was on campus as a student from 2013-2017 and wouldn’t have known when the games were if I wasn’t working in the AD. Seriously 0 effort from the school, lots of kids didn’t know when our home games were. It’s actually shocking how weak the promotion was

Last edited:
Difference between actual attendance and tickets sold. I’ll go with 45,000 tickets sold, 40,000 actual attendance.

Difference between actual attendance and tickets sold. I’ll go with 45,000 tickets sold, 40,000 actual attendance.
A big student turnout will make the disparity between tickets sold and tickets scanned smaller. But even last year, with the biggest student turnout in history for the first game, that was only ~11,500/14,000 being used. Based on what I know from the past, I'd estimate for this game the scans will be ~10k less than the paid attendance.

I'll say 46,406 tickets distributed, 35k in the stands.

I was on campus as a student from 2013-2017 and wouldn’t have known when the games were if I wasn’t working in the AD. Seriously 0 effort from the school, lots of kids didn’t know when our home games were. It’s actually shocking how weak the promotion was
As a student section leader, marketing the games felt like fighting a losing battle a lot of the time. We had to do a lot of it ourselves. One positive change that's pretty undeniable is that since 2016 student attendance has stayed much higher than it was from 2012-15. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up this year if the team is as bad as we all think it's going to be.

/endrant

It's a small stadium. 49,999 is a near sellout....

This is what happens when you have Learfield Sports as your marketing arm. I'm in the marketing world and they don't get it, they don't care and never have. It is a copout and needs to be changed.

I get the lack of marketing being a source of frustration. I also can appreciate the fact that there’s not much of a product to market. Trying to market this program is the ultimate in turd polishing.

This is what happens when you have Learfield Sports as your marketing arm. I'm in the marketing world and they don't get it and they don't care and never have. It is a copout and needs to be changed.
That has been my understanding as well. The entirety of brand strategy and marketing has been fully outsourced to a cut rate service with 0 skin in the game.

My biggest suggestion to Rick is bringing some of that in-house instead of relying on the corpse of Dave plati. I wish I could convince Rick and get my hands dirty. Marketing the university could be great fun

That has been my understanding as well. The entirety of brand strategy and marketing has been fully outsourced to a cut rate service with 0 skin in the game.

My biggest suggestion to Rick is bringing some of that in-house instead of relying on the corpse of Dave plati. I wish I could convince Rick and get my hands dirty. Marketing the university could be great fun
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

I get the lack of marketing being a source of frustration. I also can appreciate the fact that there’s not much of a product to market. Trying to market this program is the ultimate in turd polishing.
I'd be banging my head against the wall as a social media or graphic design person trying to find photos or videos from last year to use for promotion that don't have any players who have transferred in them.

Back