What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Has Mike Bohn Dropped the Ball Again?

Has Mike Bohn dropped the Ball?

• Total voters
Facts are that CU FB has endured its worst stretch of ineptitude under Bohn's watch. Don't give me some bull**** about the coach hiring being either a) a widely regarded great hire at the time (Hawkins), or being forced on him by B4L because he can't make his own decision (that's his JOB BTW) and has testicles the size of pees (Embree).

If you chose to look at this as a win by Bohn because he has brought money, facilities, et al to this coaching search, fine. But I say this, how is it that a guy can have all of those great tools at his disposal, along with being able to sell a GREAT school and awesome town to any potential coaching candidates, and yet whiff like a 3 yr old swinging at a fast ball?

Bohn is ****ing TERRIBLE at his job (at least the HR aspect of it anyway), and how people continue to apologize for him blows my mind.

Last edited:
1) Embree is no longer the coach
2) Facilities improvements are apparently coming
3) CU is prepared to spend enough $ to attract a decent coach

Offseason is already a success in my book.
Agreed. Not to mention a big budget for the coaching staff.

This was messy, as these things can be, but nothing that will give CU a permanent black eye or anything.

Things are going in the right direction. We will get a good coaching staff in here soon and be relevant again.

Get MacIntyre or Mason in here ASAP and let's get rebuilding the mighty Buffs!!

Facts are that CU FB has endured its worst stretch of ineptitude under Bohn's watch. Don't give me some bull**** about the coach hiring being either a) a widely regarded great hire at the time (Hawkins), or being forced on him by B4L because he can't make his own decision (that's his JOB BTW) and has testicles the size of pees (Embree).

If you chose to look at this as a win by Bohn because he has brought money, facilities, et al to this coaching search, fine. But I say this, how is it that a guy can have all of those great tools at his disposal, along with being able to sell a GREAT school and awesome town to any potential coaching candidates, and yet whip like a 3 yr old swinging at a fast ball?

Bohn is ****ing TERRIBLE at his job (at least the HR aspect of it anyway), and how people continue to apologize for him blows my mind.

MB should have been fired for extendign Hawlk, but, aside from that, what specifically has he done wrong and how should he have done it differently to have the outcome you desired? Let's talk specific examples of what he should have done.

It seems that some of the posters don't have any personal experience operating in the real world. Deals go sideways. Decisions don't work out. Happens all the time. You move on and keep plugging until you get to end zone. The important thing is that CU has shown a willingness to play in the big leagues.

MB should have been fired for extendign Hawlk, but, aside from that, what specifically has he done wrong and how should he have done it differently to have the outcome you desired? Let's talk specific examples of what he should have done.

That is like saying, let's dissect why a coach failed....we think we know, but really no one knows because they they have never actually done the job. But what we do know is that a coach is a success, or a failure based on his record. The record says that MB is terrible at hiring FB coaches....period.

Last edited:
I say **** socks!

bohn is using this beautifull smoke screen to secretly get golden on board.

announcement today

MB is doing excellent in this coaching search. All he has shown candidates is that the school and AD will be supportive.

You need money to hire good assistants - done
You need facilities to help recruit - done
You need time to make your decision - done

Let's face it, CU is a crappy an unattractive job right now and so far everything that Bonn has done to try and attract a new coach has been the right move.

That is like saying, let's dissect why a coach failed....we think we know, but really no one knows because they they have never actually done the job. But what we do know is that a coach is a success, or a failure based on his record. The record says that MB is terrible at hiring FB coaches....period.

To be more specific, he is 0-2. How does that compare to other ADs? I see a lot of big schools that have whiffed on a lot of head coaches. What is considered a good batting average? How many trips to the plate does an AD get?

To be more specific, he is 0-2. How does that compare to other ADs? I see a lot of big schools that have whiffed on a lot of head coaches. What is considered a good batting average? How many trips to the plate does an AD get?

He is 0-3. Tom Cable almost had a worse record at Idaho than Embree had here. Lighting doesn't strike THREE times. Bohn can't hire a FB coach to save his life. I don't give two sh!ts about his fundraising ability anymore. He sucks at hiring football coaches.

For those of you who follow Twitter (I don't really), apparently Bruce Feldman from CBS has a tweet about Bohn.

For those of you who follow Twitter (I don't really), apparently Bruce Feldman from CBS has a tweet about Bohn.

Here it is: "Colorado spent past two weeks spinning wheels on coaching search. Should've spent it looking for a new AD."

Amazing! Lets hope the local media catches on, but very doubtful with our three ring circus disguised as journalists.

reality is messy. Look around, even michigan, the cream of the cream in terms of institutional prestige, went through all kinds of crap with lloyd carr/r rod. Go down any list of schools and you can find a mess:

Tcu - half the players kicked off the team for dope...starting qb in rehab
texas tech - coach is locking players in a utility closet and is suing the school...continuous basketball fiasco
texas - muschamp head coach in waiting fiasco....power play fight between ad and boosters between brown & barney
wvu - r rod fiasco
osu - vest fiasco
psu - don't need to go there
usc - ad fired, scandals, head coach bolts before sanctions, lk hire?
Ucla - new coach ever two years
notre dame - resume fiasco
wisconson - ad letting everything slip away
a&m - two football hc crap decisions before sumlin...massive underperformance given size, location and resources
baylor - basketball murders
tenn - countless coaches turning them down...big underperformance given location, size and resources
fsu - embarrassing situation with bb
auburn - rampant cheating

etc.
All of those teams win, we don't

Bohn failed in letting this drag out. He should of moved on after Monday.

Bohn is not very good in a lot of ways. He is not a leader and he should not be leading the AD at CU.

I missed this tweet by him earlier. Well I guess we aren't completely irrelevant.

"Thing abt the CU vacancy: Can someone turn it back into a "destination" job after 15 yrs of neglect/lack of upkeep?"

This coaching search has provided exponentially more entertainment than the FB season if nothing else.

Certain things are under your control. Certain things are are not under your control. You can't make someone take the job. You can't control your ex-coach of 20 years ago from going full retard. You can't control the guy you just fired from going full retard.
You can - not put the emotionally unstable ex-coach in front of cameras 24 hours after he is fired

You can - deflect any charges of racism by saying (and repeating) that the decision was performance based, period (not about "trajectory" or "shovels")

You can - form a search committee to help you in the process

You can - negotiate with a coach with the understanding that you/they will not release 1) the fact that you are interviewing them; 2) any details (nor will they) of the offer - or you publicly deny it and pull the deal

on and on and on

We need to see how football does over the next couple of seasons. If the new coach is having the same trajectory as Embree in year two, it's time to cut Bohn loose. I have been very supportive of Bohn but if we need a new AD in a couple of years, I'll support that.

Mike I still got your back baby! Find us a football Tad!!!!

Look kids, Bohn fired Embree which is what we all wanted. Either Butch was approached by us but since he also was approached Purdue its safe to say he was "in the market". Maybe he wanted it, maybe he wanted more from Cincinnat, and they stepped up enough. I dunno. It's a free market and that's the way the ball bounces sometimes. Guys sometimes just say no despite posturing that they'd say yes.

As someone else pointed out; Pete Carrol was not USCs first choice. And Mac was not Crowders first choice either. Stay calm people. Stay calm.

Mike I still got your back baby! Find us a football Tad!!!!

Look kids, Bohn fired Embree which is what we all wanted. Either Butch was approached by us but since he also was approached Purdue its safe to say he was "in the market". Maybe he wanted it, maybe he wanted more from Cincinnat, and they stepped up enough. I dunno. It's a free market and that's the way the ball bounces sometimes. Guys sometimes just say no despite posturing that they'd say yes.

As someone else pointed out; Pete Carrol was not USCs first choice. And Mac was not Crowders first choice either. Stay calm people. Stay calm.

Ha ha! Eddie's first choice was Chuck Shelton from Drake, who beat Fairbanks' Buffs twice. Shelton later flamed out at Utah State.

Ha ha! Eddie's first choice was Chuck Shelton from Drake, who beat Fairbanks' Buffs twice. Shelton later flamed out at Utah State.
And his second choice was Osborne, who had already been at kNU for almost a decade and had a handful of top 10 finishes already.

It took a while to get to Mac...

Back