What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Here is a geat idea for the Cal game!

Remember the party scene on the train in the film Trading Places? Looked like a blast!

Gotta love Hollywood, but reality is the bar car is like a small cafeteria, where you can drink with a couple of blue hairs and the pussies who hate flying. You'll sleep in a chair and be without a shower for 40 hours after delays.

DC to NYC train = Very good idea
CO to SF train = Very bad idea

Nnijy? Ninjy umboku from camaroon?
Yes?
Its meee lionel joseph from the african education conference
LIONEL WE HAD BIG FUN AT THE PAVILION MUHAL MUHALA MUHALA ABA MUHALA MUHALA MUHALA ABA AHAHAAHAHAH

FROM MEMORY BITCHES

OK, so the idea sucked. I thought you could reserve a party car or something.

No it didn't. Your idea was fine. Just oldfashioned...

I rode the train when I was a kid. Particularly going east, but more than 24 hours was common.
I took my kids for a ride from Albany to Chicago once, thinking I could rekindle that spirit. One got motion sick and threw up in the compartment, the other was bored.

I just remember the VistaDome and staring out the window at glimpses of other lives, you know, a cow here and there, someone's laundry on the line, once in a while a little kid waving back.

But life moves too quickly now. People don't know how to block out 33 hours to do nothing.

Coach seats on the Zephyr aren't too bad...I took it in 2006 from Lincoln to Denver on my way back from the Fusker game that year (along with about 100 other Buff fans who had the same idea since the train left Lincoln around 12:30 AM)...the seats are like domestic first class airline seats, only with a lot more recline (they don't go fully flat obviously but its a decent recline), and a lot more legroom...if you're in a window seat you can get out to the aisle easily without disturbing the person in the aisle seat...

Come on DBT. Do it. Be the social director. Screw those privacy invading TSA hacks.
I'm packing my two goats, four chickens, 5l Grey Goose, and 9 inch survival knife and coming aboard.

Here's what I want you to do. Hire a trip historian who says cool factoids like, "On your left on that thar hlll lies the tombstone of Doc Holiday," or "We are now passing over the site of the famous golden spike that first connected the east and west coast rail networks, making transcontinental train trips possible," or "papa Donner munched on his nephew on that saddleback knotch over yonder in order to survive that horrible blizzard of '46"

Then schedule lots of activities. A checkers tournement. Dominos. An all nite poker game. A murder mystery. A swingers club.

Hire a club car staffed with fine full service massage and reflexology.

The breakfast menu must have belgian waffles, eggs benedict, chocolet covered strawberries, scrapple, and mimosas.

Nothing but the finest top serloin and lobster for lunch and dinner, with an all you can eat salad and dessert bar.

Speaking of bars, the club car is always open and staffed by a former Miss Sweeden. She is stacked and her bar is stocked with beer, wine, whisky, rye, whiskey, bourbon, and more beer. Frozen fruity blender drinks and tequilla, too.

There must be wifi access with free internet service, satellite HDTV on 60" plasma, and the best gaming equipment combinded with the the latest new releases.

Bring your own drugs.

Let's hop aboard the party train. Choo-oo-woo!

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what? I bet if there was a way to turn it into a 33 hour Madden or NCAA tourney that there'd be some interest in taking the train. :lol:

Come on DBT. Do it. Be the social director. Screw those privacy invading TSA hacks.
I'm packing my two goats, four chickens, 5l Grey Goose, and 9 inch survival knife and coming aboard.

Here's what I want you to do. Hire a trip historian who says cool factoids like, "On your left on that thar hlll lies the tombstone of Doc Holiday," or "We are now passing over the site of the famous golden spike that first connected the east and west coast rail networks, making transcontinental train trips possible," or "papa Donner munched on his nephew on that saddleback knotch over yonder in order to survive that horrible blizzard of '46"

Then schedule lots of activities. A checkers tournement. Dominos. An all nite poker game. A murder mystery. A swingers club.

The breakfast menu must have belgian waffles, eggs benedict, chocolet covered strawberries, scrapple, and mimosas.

Nothing but the finest top serloin and lobster for lunch and dinner, with an all you can eat salad and dessert bar.

Speaking of bars, the club car is always open and staffed by a former Miss Sweeden. She is stacked and her bar is stocked with beer, wine, whisky, rye, whiskey, bourbon, and more beer. Frozen fruity blender drinks and tequilla, too.

There must be wifi access with free internet service, satellite HDTV on 60" plasma, and the best gaming equipment combinded with the the latest new releases.

Bring your own drugs.

Skiddy's got the right idea here.

Bring your own drugs.

put this together and i'll fly from socal to denver just to take the train to sf! woooooooooooooooooooooooooo woooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Well, the train thing may not be worth doing, but I think the sack family will make it out there for the game.

Who wants to golf at Half Moon Bay links with me?

Bring your own drugs.

Oh, and DBT.... we expect tickets to be less than $100 per person, round trip... Now, make it happen!!!! :smile2:

It would be a fun trip to take with Rebecca Demornay.

You could celebrate her birthday a week late, she's turning 50 in August.
Born August 29, 1959.

I hate to break it to me, but that means she already hit 50 a little over 4 months ago.... :sad:

Cheapest air fare, round trip, with tax, right now, is $235. That would be to either San Fran or Sacremento. Oakland is higher, for some reason.

That's weird, I 'm flying out to Sacramento in March and I was quoted $192 RT by several airlines on Orbitz. Not that different than $235, but at least covers a dinner.

You can take public transportation from Oakland Airport to Berkeley but it's a hassle and nowhere near as easy as hopping on BART at SFO. I'm considering taking the train from Glenwood with a few fellow CU alums but also might just drive and make it a fun road trip. And whoever said 33 hour Madden tournament is a genius.

That's weird, I 'm flying out to Sacramento in March and I was quoted $192 RT by several airlines on Orbitz. Not that different than $235, but at least covers a dinner.

You should never pay more than $200 to fly into Sac from Denver. Seen it a bit lower but as long as it isn't Christmas or Thanksgiving. Look at fares on Southwest, too, since they aren't covered by Orbitz and the other comparison sites.

Also not a bad idea to fly into Sac for the game if you are planning on renting a car and spending a bit of time in NorCal. While the city itself isn't all that flashy as a tourist, it's a great base to do stuff in Northern California because it is halfway between the Bay Area and Tahoe.

Regards Amtrak, it's a good idea only if you have a lot of reading material, handheld games, need time to think, etc. as the chances of your train being QUITE delayed are endless.

These poor folks were delayed by weather and THEN hit a pickup truck on the tracks in Iowa. And the train passing the opposite direction was 23 hours delayed.

amtracklines.jpg

I actually like trains, but I have not yet found anyone under the age of <<mumble mumble>> who shares my enthusiasm. People just want the destination, not the journey.

... not trying to be profound or anything, but that's exactly the reason why folks can't view 24 hours of scenery on a train as worthwhile.
They just want to get there. Now.
You have to accept sleeping in a chair, and being around people you don't know, and weird food choices and no showers, etc. in exchange for seeing things you won't see otherwise.

Back