What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How every 5* from the 2019 class panned out

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member

I think this is pretty fascinating - as people debate the value of 5* guys

My takeaway is that most of these guys becomes stars, with the floor as solid contributors to their teams. A few flame out (Alfano for example) - but even the guys who suffer a lot of injuries still are huge contributors.

I think this is pretty fascinating - as people debate the value of 5* guys

My takeaway is that most of these guys becomes stars, with the floor as solid contributors to their teams. A few flame out (Alfano for example) - but even the guys who suffer a lot of injuries still are huge contributors.
Yeah. A 5* is basically a prospect my mother could watch a minute of film for and think it's obvious he's a man amongst boys, next level athlete. If they don't pan out, something went sideways outside of natural ability.

Yeah. A 5* is basically a prospect my mother could watch a minute of film for and think it's obvious he's a man amongst boys, next level athlete. If they don't pan out, something went sideways outside of natural ability.
This is why our history with 5*'s is so painful at CU

Alfano, Scott, Marcus Houston, Ochs.

Feels like Ryan Miller is the only guy who worked out.

This is why our history with 5*'s is so painful at CU

Alfano, Scott, Marcus Houston, Ochs.

Feels like Ryan Miller is the only guy who worked out.
Alfano was the only one that had some real issues that prevented him from being the real deal, at least as far as we think he would have been.

Scott, Houston and Ochs just weren't that good

Alfano was the only one that had some real issues that prevented him from being the real deal, at least as far as we think he would have been.

Scott, Houston and Ochs just weren't that good
Scott didn't GAF.

Houston was really good. His injury changed him, and he became JAGy. Before the injury, you could see that he was on a different level athletically. His vision was still good enough that he grinded out a decent career at CSU even though his legs wouldn't do what he wanted them to do. He essentially had to become a big back, but he was a racehorse before the injury.

Ochs was really talented, but a bit of a head case. I do wonder what his career would have been like if he didn't play for CU and Barnett in the midst of the recruiting scandal stuff.

Scott didn't GAF.

Houston was really good. His injury changed him, and he became JAGy. Before the injury, you could see that he was on a different level athletically. His vision was still good enough that he grinded out a decent career at CSU even though his legs wouldn't do what he wanted them to do. He essentially had to become a big back, but he was a racehorse before the injury.

Ochs was really talented, but a bit of a head case. I do wonder what his career would have been like if he didn't play for CU and Barnett in the midst of the recruiting scandal stuff.
IIRC Houston had 100 yards in each of his games prior to the knee injury, a devastating injury which cost him both his speed and his ability to cut. Who knows how his career would have turned out but he looked like the real deal before getting hurt.

Scott may have been one of those guys who was so good in HS that he never learned how to step up his level of effort to become a college level player.

Ryan Miller was a whole different level of athlete on the OL. Physically he was a man among boys even against top teams. Sadly and we never heard nor paid attention to this at the time no matter how big and strong you are your brain is still a delicate organ. In recent years we have become much more aware but while not documented it is reasonable to think that Miller's head injuries started at CU before really coming to kill his career in the NFL. https://www.ralphiereport.com/2017/...s-football-lineman-opens-up-about-head-trauma

was Yuri Wright a 5* ?
I feel like a few guys were 5* at one point but dropped down before signing day (Wright, Bryce Givens, Jon Major, Lynn Katoa). Not sure on all those guys, but pretty sure Katoa and Major were 5* early on.

I feel like a few guys were 5* at one point but dropped down before signing day (Wright, Bryce Givens, Jon Major, Lynn Katoa). Not sure on all those guys, but pretty sure Katoa and Major were 5* early on.
When Major was able to actually go, there were a couple times he flashed and I was blown away with how he closed. He was the real deal.

100% this- the takeaway from the link that @dio posted should be that a 5* recruit generally has a floor of a mid-to-late round draft pick, and should be productive in college. There are exceptions, and generally speaking CU has ended up with those exceptions. Hopefully the law of averages turns things around for us soon.

100% this- the takeaway from the link that @dio posted should be that a 5* recruit generally has a floor of a mid-to-late round draft pick, and should be productive in college. There are exceptions, and generally speaking CU has ended up with those exceptions. Hopefully the law of averages turns things around for us soon.
The sample size for CU over the past two decades has been to small to be statistically valid, we haven't been pulling in 5* (or even 4*) guys like Georgia or Ohio State.

That said for the most part our highly rated recruits have generally come with flaws.

The services can assign a rating but they don't get to know the kids like the coaches do. They can't as easily pick up on character flaws like Scott being a lazy overeater or Katoa being out of control violent. A lot of schools still wanted Scott but some had also backed off. Katoa had been committed to Oklahoma and then they backed off, that wasn't because he became a bad football player.

The other big group of highly rated guys were guys who fell to CU after suffering the kind of injuries that gave schools reason to be concerned about being physically able to perform at a high level or even at all. Guys like Moretti who was solidly committed to Ohio State before suffering a knee injury that resulted in him spending the next 3 years taking up a scholarship but never contributing a lot on the field. Also guys like Yuri who had amazing skills as a HS Soph and Jr., good enough to get schools all over the country interested but he just stopped getting bigger and never developed physically like expected.

Big difference we are seeing with the guys that Prime is bringing in is that these guys don't have the ifs, buts, or maybes. These guys aren't "falling" to us, they are guys we are taking from teams that will still end up with top 20 recruiting classes.

The sample size for CU over the past two decades has been to small to be statistically valid, we haven't been pulling in 5* (or even 4*) guys like Georgia or Ohio State.

That said for the most part our highly rated recruits have generally come with flaws.

The services can assign a rating but they don't get to know the kids like the coaches do. They can't as easily pick up on character flaws like Scott being a lazy overeater or Katoa being out of control violent. A lot of schools still wanted Scott but some had also backed off. Katoa had been committed to Oklahoma and then they backed off, that wasn't because he became a bad football player.

The other big group of highly rated guys were guys who fell to CU after suffering the kind of injuries that gave schools reason to be concerned about being physically able to perform at a high level or even at all. Guys like Moretti who was solidly committed to Ohio State before suffering a knee injury that resulted in him spending the next 3 years taking up a scholarship but never contributing a lot on the field. Also guys like Yuri who had amazing skills as a HS Soph and Jr., good enough to get schools all over the country interested but he just stopped getting bigger and never developed physically like expected.

Big difference we are seeing with the guys that Prime is bringing in is that these guys don't have the ifs, buts, or maybes. These guys aren't "falling" to us, they are guys we are taking from teams that will still end up with top 20 recruiting classes.
“too small”. You had a chance to use to, too and two in the same sentence and blew it!

When Major was able to actually go, there were a couple times he flashed and I was blown away with how he closed. He was the real deal.
Major had all the tools in the box man, but damn, dude just couldn't stay healthy. Pretty sure that's what it was unless I've got him mixed up with somebody else?

Back