What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How I think this all plays out

CU firing KD today and firing KD in January is exactly the same financially. You either pay him to coach or pay him not too, assuming you don’t give the interim coach a pay raise (and why would you)
True, what you pay Dorrell doesn't change, but hiring a new coach adds a few million to expenses which, as of today, CU can't do. If they fire him now, the interim would be in place not only for the remainder of this year, he would be in place next year too until they can secure the funds for a new coach. A multi-season interim would be weird. From what I've been told, KD has been given assurances from the AD his job is currently safe.

This talk of CU not being able to pay is pure bull****. They may not want to pay for their mistakes, but they most certainly can.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

CU can absolutely afford to fire KD and eat the rest of his contract. Schools that care about football find a way to make it work. CU clearly does not care, and therein lies the crux of the issue we have been dealing with for 20 years.

True, what you pay Dorrell doesn't change, but hiring a new coach adds a few million to expenses which, as of today, CU can't do. If they fire him now, the interim would be in place not only for the remainder of this year, he would be in place next year too until they can secure the funds for a new coach. A multi-season interim would be weird. From what I've been told, KD has been given assurances from the AD his job is currently safe.
A multi year interim coach is an absolutely horrible idea and will not happen.

How does that change if they wait until January? They will need to work to find money for a new coach no matter when they fire KD.

This talk of CU not being able to pay is pure bull****. They may not want to pay for their mistakes, but they most certainly can.
CU won't give the AD the money and neither will boosters. Its a matter of willingness. Both parties have said no so the AD has no money to bring on a new coach.

pump up Sanford for how he's getting the offense turned around,

I am pretty apathetic when it comes to CU football these days, but holy ****ing **** if they try this I will do my best to mount a campaign to combat that messaging.

CU was 130/131 last year in YPG (257.4) and 122 in scoring (18.8 ppg). This year they're 126 in YPG (261.2) and 129 in scoring (11.8 ppg)

Even if they wanted to say "hey, look at the offense since Owen McCown came in" and just focus on the UCLA game, 309 YPG would rank 112 (right above GT, who just fired their coach), and 17 PPG would be 120.

I would not consider an offense that's still a bottom 10 offense to be any sort of appreciable improvement; this falls into the "don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining" category

agreed. and that is why they won't fire KD during the season
I don’t really understand what you’re suggesting. CU is paying KD no matter when they dump him so they need to decide if they want (and have the funds/political will) to bring in someone new before next season or if they’re willing to tolerate ineptitude for another year. If it’s the latter, we may as well close up shop.

I'm a little worried for this week. Arizona's defense is awful, and could make our offense look a lot better than it really is. If McCown has a nice day, they're going to push the "well now we've got QB figured out and things are turning around" narrative which would buy him time.

At least the November schedule is so brutal it's going to be tough to keep KD when you lose all those games by 50 points

I'm a little worried for this week. Arizona's defense is awful, and could make our offense look a lot better than it really is. If McCown has a nice day, they're going to push the "well now we've got QB figured out and things are turning around" narrative which would buy him time.

At least the November schedule is so brutal it's going to be tough to keep KD when you lose all those games by 50 points
Let's just say that the best (actually worst) case scenario is CU winning a track meet this week 38-35 or something. They aren't winning another game and when they lose each of their November games by 40-50 points each, any kind of shine from the Arizona game will be a distant memory. I want KD to be fired now, but it makes little difference if it's now or 11/27/22.

I don’t really understand what you’re suggesting. CU is paying KD no matter when they dump him so they need to decide if they want (and have the funds/political will) to bring in someone new before next season or if they’re willing to tolerate ineptitude for another year. If it’s the latter, we may as well close up shop.
I'm only repeating what I've been told by someone in the program:

CU has told the AD they will not fund a new coach, this season or next. If they fire KD now, they would need to have a multi-season interim coach which they do not want to do. That is why they wait until after the season to dump KD. As of today, they are willing to ride out the ineptitude. Its possible with a few more losses a booster will come in and save the day but as of now, they can't even get a call back.

CU has told the AD they will not fund a new coach, this season or next. If they fire KD now, they would need to have a multi-season interim coach which they do not want to do. That is why they wait until after the season to dump KD. As of today, they are willing to ride out the ineptitude. Its possible with a few more losses a booster will come in and save the day but as of now, they can't even get a call back.
So you do think KD gets fired after this (2022) season, but they name an interim HC for all of 2023 and then go on a real search for a permanent HC after the 2023 season?

So you do think KD gets fired after this (2022) season, but they name an interim HC for all of 2023 and then go on a real search for a permanent HC after the 2023 season?
Yes, I probably worded it all strangely hence the confusion. I think the search for a permanent will happen during the 2023 season with someone new being named either late or immediately after.

This is NOT what I think should happen fwiw...

CU won't give the AD the money and neither will boosters. Its a matter of willingness. Both parties have said no so the AD has no money to bring on a new coach.

we’re not even competitive in games. If they won’t fire the coach, shouldn’t the AD be fired for getting us to this place? If we knew we would be stuck with a coach and not able to make a change, it means that it was even more essential to get the coaching hire right. The grade there would be an F. It clearly wasn’t the right choice sittiing at 0-4 and setting records as worst team in many statistical categories.

I don't think even CU is this clueless. I'll take Brian Howell saying after the Minnesota loss that he thinks CU makes a move with 2 more blowouts over this nonsense, dude.

You're full of ****.

Last edited:
20 years of promising steak and serving up turd sandwiches will do that.

we’re not even competitive in games. If they won’t fire the coach, shouldn’t the AD be fired for getting us to this place? If we knew we would be stuck with a coach and not able to make a change, it means that it was even more essential to get the coaching hire right. The grade there would be an F. It clearly wasn’t the right choice sittiing at 0-4 and setting records as worst team in many statistical categories.
I'm with you on this...100%. Hopefully a unicorn booster comes in and says enough is enough. Take everything I said with a grain of salt...I don't claim to have high level connections. The person I spoke with is in the AD but he's not a LC/RG level person. I believe him when he tells me the current state of affairs but even he said a few more bad losses could change the calculus of the situation.

In all honesty, it wasn't the comments about KD that bothered me, it was the sentiment to join the G5.

Reactions: dio
Yes, I probably worded it all strangely hence the confusion. I think the search for a permanent will happen during the 2023 season with someone new being named either late or immediately after.

This is NOT what I think should happen fwiw...
Really looking forward to having an interim coach during a season with a compelling home slate - should really get fans excited.

Really looking forward to having an interim coach during a season with a compelling home slate - should really get fans excited.
Yeah, that's definitely not going to happen. A low level AD source having knowledge about Dorrell being fired after the season, an interim coach being made for an entire season and, CU dropping to the G5. Yeah, sounds like a legit source. Pretty sure Costa Rica Buff is trolling.

Yeah, that's definitely not going to happen. A low level AD source having knowledge about Dorrell being fired after the season, an interim coach being made for an entire season and, CU dropping to the G5. Yeah, sounds like a legit source. Pretty sure Costa Rica Buff is trolling.
I've been on this board a lot longer than you and never once trolled anyone. All I did was repeat what I was told is the current sentiment.

I've been on this board a lot longer than you and never once trolled anyone. All I did was repeat what I was told is the current sentiment.
I’m just saying nothing you’ve said makes logical sense on any level. The one thing that would be worse than keeping Dorrell for 2023 is doing what you’re describing so it makes it hard to take what you’ve been told seriously.

I’m just saying nothing you’ve said makes logical sense on any level. The one thing that would be worse than keeping Dorrell for 2023 is doing what you’re describing so it makes it hard to take what you’ve been told seriously.
Think about it for a second.

Can you honestly say there wouldn't be anything more in line with Phil's CU than the Athletic Department being told: "Unless you can come up with a booster who will pay for a coaching change, you either have to keep him or you could fire him and not have a HC until 2024"?

We have one of the worst teams, if not the worst team, in the country. This is occurring during all of the discussion of realignment, when we should be positioning ourselves to be in the discussion to join the best conference we possibly could. in my opinion, how this is all happening and playing out is not at the level you would expect from a P5 team/program. So I don’t know that it’s all that crazy to have a rumor about going G5. I think with Boulder, our campus, the denver market and all that we SHOULD be in the discussion for the Big 10. I don’t see any actions that would impress them (or even the big 12) right now.

Back