What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How I think this all plays out

Occam’s razor. There’s a reason KD hasn’t been fired yet. RG doesn’t want to fire him. We’re stuck through at LEAST this season. And honestly, I’m already getting ready for the end of year press conference where RG says “yeah, we went 0-12 but we were one of the youngest teams in the nation. I was really pleased with Owen’s progress through the season and having the QB position locked in, with an entire offseason to build continuity after a few years of turbulence will really make a difference. And check out these sweet Nike’s I stole from the 8 year old outside!”

McCown will enter the portal two days later - partially for his own career and partially because he doesn’t feel safe living in a city where his cousin had his shoes stolen in broad daylight.

I wonder what the contract for a new coach will look like after this fiasco? It would make sense for a lesson to be learned and the next contract be incentive laden with specific buy out reductions, but would that actually deter a candidate who is actually qualified and has options? Oh the irony
That's why the contract has to be commensurate with the candidate. Any great candidate should require a significantly guaranteed contract, knowing that CU has been a coaching graveyard for the last twenty years.

You may be able to get an up and comer (who doesn't have a history of repeated failure) without debilitating guarantees at a high salary. If he fails, he can point to the university, and maybe his coaching career isn't torpedoed.

Occam’s razor. There’s a reason KD hasn’t been fired yet. RG doesn’t want to fire him. We’re stuck through at LEAST this season. And honestly, I’m already getting ready for the end of year press conference where RG says “yeah, we went 0-12 but we were one of the youngest teams in the nation. I was really pleased with Owen’s progress through the season and having the QB position locked in, with an entire offseason to build continuity after a few years of turbulence will really make a difference. And check out these sweet Nike’s I stole from the 8 year old outside!”

McCown will enter the portal two days later - partially for his own career and partially because he doesn’t feel safe living in a city where his cousin had his shoes stolen in broad daylight.

Bingo! At the UCLA game, the unaware fool was begging to donors in the Flatirons Club to "be patient" with Dorrell. I can promise you that RG's overriding concern is his own self-preservation. At this point, his extraordinary failures as AD means he has lost all confidence from donors, the University administration and the BOR.

He's ****ed, but lives in a bubble and is so focused on himself that he does not see just how horribly bad it is. I know he was at least considering retiring this winter, but a completely undeserved salary of $1 mm per year for 5 years (which he negotiated for himself in the fall of 2021, in case things went terribly wrong as they have) is near impossible to walk away from, especially since he wants to reside long-term in Boulder. I think CU will have to terminate him, too, and then negotiate a settlement.

Last edited:
Bingo! At the UCLA game, the unaware fool was begging to donors in the Flatirons Club to "be patient" with Dorrell. I can promise you that RG's overriding concern is his own self-preservation. At this point, his extraordinary failures as AD means he has lost all confidence from donors, the University administration and the BOR.

He's ****ed, but lives in a bubble and is so focused on himself that he does not see just how horribly bad it is. I know he was at least considering retiring this winter, but a completely undeserved salary of $1 mm per year for 5 years (which he negotiated for himself in the fall of 2021, in case things went terribly wrong as they have) is near impossible to walk away from, especially since he wants to reside long-term in Boulder. I think CU will have to terminate him, too, and then negotiate a settlement.
Dear Lord I'm about done with this ****ing university if that's true.

Be a man, Rick. Admit you botched the Dorrell hire.

Sad. RG had a solid reputation before this. Now he will go down as the guy who destroyed the program, and sold his reputation for 30 pieces of silver trying to make smear lipstick on the leprous pig.

RG had a solid reputation before this..
Did he? Honestly? I know I'm biased, I know I'm a broken record, but it seems like all people point out when talking up the job he did is that he got the Champions Center done. But how much of that was RG actually getting it done and how much of it was a voice other than Bohn - who through his own failures and being blackballed by the B4L crowd - that people were willing to pay?

The man has made 1.5 good hires - and I might be being generous as one (Tucker) left at the first chance and the other (Payne) still hasn't fully proven herself. The AD is running on a shoestring budget, while he himself is getting $1M a year. He has completely ruined community outreach and dismantled the one good thing Bohn did in building donors for the future (the same donors that, coincidentally, could provide the money that RG is now lacking if he actually did want to fire Dorrell).

As I’ve understood it, KD keeps his job a while longer, Chris Wilson will be the first to go.
Buying KD and RG both another year.

Same Old News GIF by MSNBC

As I’ve understood it, KD keeps his job a while longer, Chris Wilson will be the first to go.
Firing Wilson at this point is beyond absurd. The offense is just as bad as the defense. Why not fire the offensive coordinator too? Oh, wait...

If Dorrell fires Wilson, all the stuff we have heard about Dorrell being a "good" man is a farce. It would be like me firing my foot because my brain told it to step on my dick.

Did he? Honestly? I know I'm biased, I know I'm a broken record, but it seems like all people point out when talking up the job he did is that he got the Champions Center done. But how much of that was RG actually getting it done and how much of it was a voice other than Bohn - who through his own failures and being blackballed by the B4L crowd - that people were willing to pay?

The man has made 1.5 good hires - and I might be being generous as one (Tucker) left at the first chance and the other (Payne) still hasn't fully proven herself. The AD is running on a shoestring budget, while he himself is getting $1M a year. He has completely ruined community outreach and dismantled the one good thing Bohn did in building donors for the future (the same donors that, coincidentally, could provide the money that RG is now lacking if he actually did want to fire Dorrell).
I was trying to be generous.

His performance tailed at UVA. Does he really want to coach?

Both of these issues must be addressed anywhere he goes.
He took a personal sabatacle... He's said he needed to get away and refocus... I know I'm a foreigner here .. but he would be a respectable hire that would deffinetly turn things around and build a strong foundation/culture... Imo... He would be a HR hire for y'all's

I'm 43 and retired. Me thinks my education served me well....
I’m not sure it did. Exhibit A:
He took a personal sabatacle... He's said he needed to get away and refocus... I know I'm a foreigner here .. but he would be a respectable hire that would deffinetly turn things around and build a strong foundation/culture... Imo... He would be a HR hire for y'all's

Firing Wilson at this point is beyond absurd. The offense is just as bad as the defense. Why not fire the offensive coordinator too? Oh, wait...

If Dorrell fires Wilson, all the stuff we have heard about Dorrell being a "good" man is a farce. It would be like me firing my foot because my brain told it to step on my dick.
How many times do you let the HC fire coordinators before you look at that individual and be like "Maybe its you......"?

No more than 2. Karl has already dumped the two coordinators he had during his first year.

Yes, he loves riding his horses.

No doubt, he would be a respectable hire but I’d make damn sure he has the fire to do what it takes in today’s environment at a challenging place like CU.

CU needs more more low energy HCs.

Yes, he loves riding his horses.

No doubt, he would be a respectable hire but I’d make damn sure he has the fire to do what it takes in today’s environment at a challenging place like CU.

CU needs more more low energy HCs.
On the HCU podcast, Bronco explained it. Unplanned. Youngest son had finished HS and was going on his mission. He and his wife had become empty nesters. After 17 straight years as a HC and, as a player or coach, he'd been part of a team during football season every year since kindergarten.

He and his wife decided to take a year to prepare their relationship for the next stage of their lives, gain perspective on who he was without all the money and celebrity, and recharge for the planned return to coaching.

I expect that after that he's got more fire than he did his last year at UVA. Sounds like he wants to rebuild another program.

I don’t think he’s doing anything because RG ****ing sucks at his job (see HCKD and contract).
I generally agree-but this institution did act the last time we were this bad (2012). I'll keep hoping for the same and start being more vocal about staying away from games (and encouraging other people to do the same) until CU takes action.

Obviously assuming this game plays out like the first four and Karl Dorrell is a CU employee on Monday.

Last edited:
Back