What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I dare you not to get chills

I've had about 10+ CSU fans come to games in Boulder for various Big XII match-ups or OOC games - never once have I heard any of them say that CSU has the same experience. One of my friends came to the CU/Florida State game & sent me a text saying "So... this is why you love college FB so much - I get it now". And her family has season tix to CSU. Come on now - your hatred for CU is understandable as a CSU fan but not owning up to the fact that our gameday atmosphere is better is pure spite.

i dont have hatred... im still waiting for someone to tell me that they do differenty... a friend saying" So... this is why you love college FB so much - I get it now" isnt showing me anything... what do you do to make it sooooo good?

lol... instead of a flyover,
AF is shoulders above CU and CSU as far as pageantry goes

Watch what you say about flyovers goatherder - I radioed in a formation of F-18 Hornets from the top of the stadium (east side) for the Mizzery game in 2007.

That was definitely the highlight of the day - game itself on the other hand...:puke:

The AF games are OK. The cadets could give a damn about the game, and the fans are real old, so it seems pretty quiet there. I think the location of the stadium, probably the most spectacular in all of football, how historic it is, the best mascot, lots of energy in the stadium, makes Colorado's experience better. I don't hate CSU. I don't understand the inferiority complex they have, and if their own fans could get excited about CSU games, it would make it far more tempting to go to Ft. Collins for a game. But if their fans don't care, it must not be a great experience. I went to a Wyoming AF game at Wyoming, and it was just depressing. I've always pictured CSU games being like that.

thanks for your response. this complex people say is non existent... you guys come to our board to smack talk... we come to yours... its an equal thing... you make up the complex, its just a rival thing to do, I understand that.

your right, CSU is behind CU and AF in terms of gameday experiance, I never once argued it wasnt(i was jsut saying AFs was better then CUs(which I believe)).. CSU is probably somewhere between CU and Wyoming.. Wyomings is just pitiful.. but you can get funnel cakes(inside joke on RN). CSU is just building what will become traditions right now.. it was so bad in the 70s and 80s that what we have not is a 180deg change, but its being worked on.

Watch what you say about flyovers goatherder - I radioed in a formation of F-18 Hornets from the top of the stadium (east side) for the Mizzery game in 2007.

That was definitely the highlight of the day - game itself on the other hand...:puke:

not sure what you mean.. I never said anything bad about them :fragez:

i dont have hatred... im still waiting for someone to tell me that they do differenty... a friend saying" So... this is why you love college FB so much - I get it now" isnt showing me anything... what do you do to make it sooooo good?

this argument started between our two schools. of course there are places across the country that put on a more impressive game day than us. however, between our two schools i would say the fact that a) our stadium is on campus b) thousands more show up c) we as whole care a lot more about football than you guys makes it a better gameday atmosphere.

this argument started between our two schools. of course there are places across the country that put on a more impressive game day than us. however, between our two schools i would say the fact that a) our stadium is on campus b) thousands more show up c) we as whole care a lot more about football than you guys makes it a better gameday atmosphere.

thanks for the response

not sure what you mean.. I never said anything bad about them :fragez:

You made it sound as if CU didn't do them - I was making a point. My bad on misinterpreting brain is functioning too well right now. Thinking too much about the start of the season...:smile2:

Add in that the players march through campus towards the stadium in a tunnel of fans on gameday, we have the best live and costume mascot in college sports (chip is a 2 time national champion), we are considered one of the best tailgating schools in college football on one of the most beautiful campuses and backdrops in the country. And last we have a winning history.

You made it sound as if CU didn't do them - I was making a point. My bad on misinterpreting brain is functioning too well right now. Thinking too much about the start of the season...:smile2:

no worries... Flyovers at CU dont happen often do they?... ive been to 7 games probably(starting in 1988(?) probably against Illinois and Jeff George)... i had not seen one.

thanks for your response. this complex people say is non existent... you guys come to our board to smack talk... we come to yours... its an equal thing... you make up the complex, its just a rival thing to do, I understand that.

your right, CSU is behind CU and AF in terms of gameday experiance, I never once argued it wasnt(i was jsut saying AFs was better then CUs(which I believe)).. CSU is probably somewhere between CU and Wyoming.. Wyomings is just pitiful.. but you can get funnel cakes(inside joke on RN). CSU is just building what will become traditions right now.. it was so bad in the 70s and 80s that what we have not is a 180deg change, but its being worked on.

It seems like most Colorado fans pull for CSU when they aren't playing each other, but I encounter way more CSU fans who hate Colorado with a passion ALL the time. I don't get it. I don't know if it will ever be possible for CSU to have an exciting atmosphere, with a tiny stadium outside of town. Maybe they could expand to a 75,000 seat stadium and sell tickets for 5 bucks. I'm not sure what CSU can do.

no worries... Flyovers at CU dont happen often do they?... ive been to 7 games probably(starting in 1988(?) probably against Illinois and Jeff George)... i had not seen one.

They do not happen often but occasionally. I actually agree with you on AFA. I love the pageantry. I still prefer game day at Folsom but that is because I root for the Buffs. If I was impartial I'd probably go with AFA.

Add in that the players march through campus towards the stadium in a tunnel of fans on gameday, we have the best live and costume mascot in college sports (chip is a 2 time national champion), we are considered one of the best tailgating schools in college football on one of the most beautiful campuses and backdrops in the country. And last we have a winning history.

thanks for the response.. I do hear often from CU fans about the tailgating... not sure why, but I dont like it.. seems like im tailgating in some office parking lot, or a parking garage near the foam dome... not fan friendly at all IMO... but I think thats a personal prefrence. I do agree its a pretty campus

It seems like most Colorado fans pull for CSU when they aren't playing each other, but I encounter way more CSU fans who hate Colorado with a passion ALL the time. I don't get it. I don't know if it will ever be possible for CSU to have an exciting atmosphere, with a tiny stadium outside of town. Maybe they could expand to a 75,000 seat stadium and sell tickets for 5 bucks. I'm not sure what CSU can do.

That is one of my theories on why their attendance sucks balls. I truly think that about 75% of CSU fans are just buff haters. The other 25% are casual fans. I get the impression State is in the 75%.

thanks for the response.. I do hear often from CU fans about the tailgating... not sure why, but I dont like it.. seems like im tailgating in some office parking lot, or a parking garage near the foam dome... not fan friendly at all IMO... but I think thats a personal prefrence. I do agree its a pretty campus

Dude, CSU sucks. Go Buffs!

I love the stadium and the enviromment.. right up against the hills and horsetooth. on campus becomes a cluster f u c k if you ask me... I dont think CSU(or CU or AF) will ever get to 75,000 fans... the distance from denver limits alums for some reason, and it is probably a big factor in not getting people there... I bet if CU was in FC and CSU was in Boulder, CSU would have 15000 more fans a game, and CU would have 15,000 less.

They do not happen often but occasionally. I actually agree with you on AFA. I love the pageantry. I still prefer game day at Folsom but that is because I root for the Buffs. If I was impartial I'd probably go with AFA.

same with me and CSU.. I would guess its the same with ND games, Navy games, Michigan, Ohio St...etc

That is one of my theories on why their attendance sucks balls. I truly think that about 75% of CSU fans are just buff haters. The other 25% are casual fans. I get the impression State is in the 75%.

naw, im not a hater.. if I was, I wouldnt give you guys the time of day... I would think the CU game is not a rivalry, I wouldnt give a damn about CU. I like to beat good teams, so I want CU to be good

The pageantry of AF games is awesome, no doubt. That is why GameDay has been there at least once. But don't hate on Ralphie, undoubtedly and unobjectively the greatest mascot in college sports. For example, my wife, who could give a **** about CU football except I'm a dick when they lose, says "we can't miss the beginning of the game, or we'll miss Ralphie running!"

The pageantry of AF games is awesome, no doubt. That is why GameDay has been there at least once. But don't hate on Ralphie, undoubtedly and unobjectively the greatest mascot in college sports. For example, my wife, who could give a **** about CU football except I'm a dick when they lose, says "we can't miss the beginning of the game, or we'll miss Ralphie running!"

I always enjoy watching the flashing cameras from the visiting section when ralphie runs by them.

That's probably true. It's too bad. If they would pack their stadium and go crazy and start owning their conference and then start trying to bring in some bigger teams for non-conference, more often, they could lure more people up from Denver, even Colorado fans, and get something going. The venom they spew at Colorado will never help them. I worked with a bunch of Colorado division of wildlife people with csu degrees, and CSU I believe is a good school for natural resource type degrees, and even these guys got completely defensive when CU came up. It's kind of amazing. My brother married a michigan state grad, and she and her msu people act exactly the same way about michigan.

Exactly. I think our stadium being on campus is probably the #1 thing that sets us apart from CSU. You may think our tailgating sucks because we're not in one huge lot outside of Hughes, but that to me is a huge part of the college atmosphere - being on campus. I hate tailgating at Invesco - whether it's a Bronco game or the RMS - there's no atmosphere - just concrete. Wherever you walk in Boulder around campus on a Fall Saturday, there are people tailgating - Franklin Field, Kittridge, Farrand, business school, Sewall Beach, practice field lots/Boulder Creek. Yep, maybe we don't do it in a huge group, but our surroundings help make it special.

Like 'leash mentioned, our team walking off the bus, through a tunnel of fans, past the buffalo & into the stadium is cool. I've only gotten to be a part of it a couple of times but it's actually pretty impressive.

The band walking around the different tailgating areas & playing the fight song. Again cool. Yes, I guess they could do that at CSU but again, being all around campus to me is a big difference of what makes Boulder a great gameday atmosphere.

The way the team comes out onto the field (especially night games) is awesome. Coming out of the tunnel, through the fog machine, following Ralphie - pure awesomeness.

The student section can be absolutely incredible (when they show up on time). For some of the big-time games - OU '07, the FSU, WVU & I expect the Georgia game, they are color-coordinated, fired up, LOOOUUUDD & very much a part of the experience too. When the students are fired up, the alums are fired up.

I think it's a combination of all I stated above. Our fanbase has it's share of bluehair, ho-hum fans that yell at you to sit down, that sit on their hands, that get mad when it's too loud, etc. But I think that overall, we have a larger number of fans that share a love of football, a love for their alma mater (or for 67% - their favorite school they didn't attend), a love for Boulder & it's surroundings, and a love for the gameday atmosphere that makes the Boulder experience pretty special.

Exactly. I think our stadium being on campus is probably the #1 thing that sets us apart from CSU. You may think our tailgating sucks because we're not in one huge lot outside of Hughes, but that to me is a huge part of the college atmosphere - being on campus. I hate tailgating at Invesco - whether it's a Bronco game or the RMS - there's no atmosphere - just concrete. Wherever you walk in Boulder around campus on a Fall Saturday, there are people tailgating - Franklin Field, Kittridge, Farrand, business school, Sewall Beach, practice field lots/Boulder Creek. Yep, maybe we don't do it in a huge group, but our surroundings help make it special.

Like 'leash mentioned, our team walking off the bus, through a tunnel of fans, past the buffalo & into the stadium is cool. I've only gotten to be a part of it a couple of times but it's actually pretty impressive.

The band walking around the different tailgating areas & playing the fight song. Again cool. Yes, I guess they could do that at CSU but again, being all around campus to me is a big difference of what makes Boulder a great gameday atmosphere.

The way the team comes out onto the field (especially night games) is awesome. Coming out of the tunnel, through the fog machine, following Ralphie - pure awesomeness.

The student section can be absolutely incredible (when they show up on time). For some of the big-time games - OU '07, the FSU, WVU & I expect the Georgia game, they are color-coordinated, fired up, LOOOUUUDD & very much a part of the experience too. When the students are fired up, the alums are fired up.

I think it's a combination of all I stated above. Our fanbase has it's share of bluehair, ho-hum fans that yell at you to sit down, that sit on their hands, that get mad when it's too loud, etc. But I think that overall, we have a larger number of fans that share a love of football, a love for their alma mater (or for 67% - their favorite school they didn't attend), a love for Boulder & it's surroundings, and a love for the gameday atmosphere that makes the Boulder experience pretty special.

well said.. good post

Game day in boulder is special because the stadium right in the middle of campus.

It's not some drive out to some distant satellite location with dirt parking lots.

When you watch CU, you are seeing the dorm and the library and walking to the hill for a sloppy slice of pizza and strolling to the sink.

AFA's stadium is also on campus. But that campus is huge. It's not got the proximity of a creek, a stadium, and a beautiful consistent architecture.

CU's stadium is intimate. The sidelines are narrow, bringing fans really close to the action. The endzone seats are great because of the team entrances on either side. Plus the pure awesomeness of the ralphie run, an event that is unique in D1 football.

Tailgating in Boulder is fun. The same great Colorado weather spoils all three campuses. But Boulder has it's signature Flat Irons looming in the distance.

I wish CU might someday play a home and home series with AFA so that Buff Fans can get a chance to see our favorite team play in a classic college setting.

That would lend me an opportunity to tell you if AFA has drinking establishments on par with those in Boulder, as judged by proximity and quality.

Game day comes together in Boulder. There's a reason CU always appears in lists of best game day atmosphere.

Plus, when CU plays our conference foes, it actually has implications on who will play in the mNC game.

@State. Any more questions?

I love the stadium and the enviromment.. right up against the hills and horsetooth. on campus becomes a cluster f u c k if you ask me... I dont think CSU(or CU or AF) will ever get to 75,000 fans... the distance from denver limits alums for some reason, and it is probably a big factor in not getting people there... I bet if CU was in FC and CSU was in Boulder, CSU would have 15000 more fans a game, and CU would have 15,000 less.

I bet that if your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.

Game day in boulder is special because the stadium right in the middle of campus.

It's not some drive out to some distant satellite location with dirt parking lots.

When you watch CU, you are seeing the dorm and the library and walking to the hill for a sloppy slice of pizza and strolling to the sink.

AFA's stadium is also on campus. But that campus is huge. It's not got the proximity of a creek, a stadium, and a beautiful consistent architecture.

CU's stadium is intimate. The sidelines are narrow, bringing fans really close to the action. The endzone seats are great because of the team entrances on either side. Plus the pure awesomeness of the ralphie run, an event that is unique in D1 football.

Tailgating in Boulder is fun. The same great Colorado weather spoils all three campuses. But Boulder has it's signature Flat Irons looming in the distance.

I wish CU might someday play a home and home series with AFA so that Buff Fans can get a chance to see our favorite team play in a classic college setting.

That would lend me an opportunity to tell you if AFA has drinking establishments on par with those in Boulder, as judged by proximity and quality.

Game day comes together in Boulder. There's a reason CU always appears in lists of best game day atmosphere.

Plus, when CU plays our conference foes, it actually has implications on who will play in the mNC game.

@State. Any more questions?

"It's not some drive out to some distant satellite location with dirt parking lots."... i guess yo uhavent been to a CSU gm,.. the stadium is a 5min drive if that from campus)... "Strolling to the sink".. i feel like im going to hit my head every time I go there.. no thanks. "CU's stadium is intimate."... well, you are right on top of the field I guess.. but from the visitor section you have to turn your head 90deg to the right, it sucks... Hughes has great views from everywhere.... good post though.

Was CSU's stadium modeled after the Stutler Bowl?

Oh, my bad there is a difference. The Stutler Bowl is on campus.

Was CSU's stadium modeled after the Stutler Bowl?

Oh, my bad there is a difference. The Stutler Bowl is on campus.

actually very similar to the sun bowl(yes I know you continue to try to degrade CSU, but ive heard it all, I have plenty of CU grads in my family)
Sun_Bowlcp.jpg

"It's not some drive out to some distant satellite location with dirt parking lots."... i guess yo uhavent been to a CSU gm,.. the stadium is a 5min drive if that from campus)... "Strolling to the sink".. i feel like im going to hit my head every time I go there.. no thanks. "CU's stadium is intimate."... well, you are right on top of the field I guess.. but from the visitor section you have to turn your head 90deg to the right, it sucks... Hughes has great views from everywhere.... good post though.

I attended CU's last apperance at Hughes. There were definately dirt parking lots back then. If the CU-CSU game were to go back to FoCo, I'd make a point to return and see the urban development that sprang up around the old cow pasture.

The best part of my Hughes stadium experience was the "pass out." We got tickets to exit at half time. It was fun marching back to the tailgates with half the fan base and recharging the buzz with an other few beers, and then staggering back to the seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back