What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I Do Not Get It

Before we all anoint Jim Leavitt to Vince Lombardi status can we at least wait and see what he does with all those 4 stars that he has inherited up at Oregon. I'd say a top 3rd P12 defense this upcoming season followed with a top 10 BCS defense the next.

Do that and even I'd admit he is a true man of genius. Still doesn't mean he can recruit though. Poaching others hard work is not the same as recruiting.

7 wins, and win a bowl game. Top 25 recruiting class for 2018.

I won't be calling for Mac's head if we fall short of that goal, but I do want to see us parlay the success of 2016 into some sustained momentum for this program rather than it being a blip. Since the end of November it has felt like we were losing all momentum. I hope closing out this recruiting class strong will give us another shot in the arm heading into spring.
I would suspect you are in violent agreement with most on this board, myself included.

The difference may be I don't feel the need to complain everyday about this or that because I believe MMac has earned the leeway to manage the program unless he fails to live up to the expectations you outline above.

Concern and healthy discourse can be warranted, but this place has been a ****show the two weeks with all the freaking out and complaining.

Last edited:

I won't be calling for Mac's head if we fall short of that goal, but I do want to see us parlay the success of 2016 into some sustained momentum for this program rather than it being a blip. Since the end of November it has felt like we were losing all momentum. I hope closing out this recruiting class strong will give us another shot in the arm heading into spring.

7 wins means 4-5 in conference. I hope the success is sustained at a greater level. Seven this year was great. Four next year seems too low to call that sustaining success.

7 wins means 4-5 in conference. I hope the success is sustained at a greater level. Seven this year was great. Four next year seems too low to call that sustaining success.
Going 5-4 in conference would be something we can point to in terms of staying in the top half of the conference in a defensive rebuilding year for both players and coaching staff.

I'd be very happy with 7 wins on the heels of a top 30 recruiting class. Damn, I thought I was the hard ass.

Mac isn't real charismatic. He's bit awkward in interviews. He's just not a real dynamic personality. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with how people view him or not. One thing for sure. He has taken to crap programs in a row and built to 10 win seasons. Now the test comes. Can he sustain it and build upon it. Time will tell.

As for the fickle nature of fans toward a coach, just check out the Basketball forum.

I would suspect you are in violent agreement with most on this board, myself included.

The difference may be I don't feel the need to complain everyday about this or that because I believe MMac has earned the leeway to manage the program unless he fails to live up to the expectations you outline above.

Concern and healthy discourse can be warranted, but this place has been a ****show the two weeks with all the freaking out and complaining.
It really hasn't. There are a couple threads discussing the DC hire, and there are some legitimate concerns being discussed there - complaining and sunshine pumping are yin and yang, get used to it, there's room for both here.

I never understood people complaining about other posters raising concerns about this staff - if you don't want to read it, go to the thousands of other threads on other topics. By starting a thread complaining about other posters you are exacerbating the very problem you are complaining about.

It really hasn't. There are a couple threads discussing the DC hire, and there are some legitimate concerns being discussed there - complaining and sunshine pumping are yin and yang, get used to it, there's room for both here.

I never understood people complaining about other posters raising concerns about this staff - if you don't want to read it, go to the thousands of other threads on other topics. By starting a thread complaining about other posters you are exacerbating the very problem you are complaining about.

I don't think it's the critiques or concerns that bother most people. Speaking only for myself, that doesn't bother me at all and I like the debate. Makes the board much better.

Where I get annoyed is when I start feeling that someone has blinders on. We have some people who have made up their minds that MacIntyre can't recruit, can't motivate, can't scheme, and can't make good hires. So then to fit that narrative they have to come up with a theory that everything that's going well has to be due to someone other than MacIntyre. Therefore, George & Carl must have forced the hiring of Leavitt & Chev and then those 2 guys were solely responsible for all improvements to the team in spite of MacIntyre. One theory even going so far as to say that RG is on his way out the door as the way to explain why he would have signed off on hiring Eliot.

We have the same thing in the basketball forum where, I swear, there are people who post that Tad can't recruit, doesn't run a good system, doesn't have good assistants, doesn't develop players and is a bad game manager... so I can only assume that him going to the Dance and averaging 20+ wins a season means that he's the luckiest mother****er on the planet. :ROFLMAO: That kind of stuff gets tiresome to the point of infuriating, especially when they only show up to post after something negative has happened.

To me, the hires have been a mixed bag. Yes, there is Leavitt and Chev but there was also Baer and Neinas and there continues to be Bernardi. I believe that all of the hires were MacIntyre's completely but is this a case of learning and getting better or just luck? For DC's, MacIntyre is 50%. For as good as Leavitt was, Baer was awful. The Eliot hire may turn out to be great but it's pretty uninspiring on the surface.

As far as this past season goes, I'm very happy with it and willing to give him some slack based on the results. I also lived through 2007 and prematurely believing that we had turned the corner. This year was great but MacIntyre needs to back it up.

Where did I start a thread on this topic?

Keep in mind, you and I have roughly the same expectations for next year.

Feel free to bitch about everything for the next 8 months if it makes you feel better though - knock yourself out!

I don't think it's the critiques or concerns that bother most people. Speaking only for myself, that doesn't bother me at all and I like the debate. Makes the board much better.

Where I get annoyed is when I start feeling that someone has blinders on. We have some people who have made up their minds that MacIntyre can't recruit, can't motivate, can't scheme, and can't make good hires. So then to fit that narrative they have to come up with a theory that everything that's going well has to be due to someone other than MacIntyre. Therefore, George & Carl must have forced the hiring of Leavitt & Chev and then those 2 guys were solely responsible for all improvements to the team in spite of MacIntyre. One theory even going so far as to say that RG is on his way out the door as the way to explain why he would have signed off on hiring Eliot.

We have the same thing in the basketball forum where, I swear, there are people who post that Tad can't recruit, doesn't run a good system, doesn't have good assistants, doesn't develop players and is a bad game manager... so I can only assume that him going to the Dance and averaging 20+ wins a season means that he's the luckiest mother****er on the planet. :ROFLMAO: That kind of stuff gets tiresome to the point of infuriating, especially when they only show up to post after something negative has happened.

MM has struggled with attracting coaching talent. Many of us thought that was in the past. Then Eliot is hired. Hmmmmmmm. Makes one pause for sure.

The story is not told, however. MM has one, likely two, more hires to make on D and perhaps one on O. Then a 10th assistant some day.

I hope they engender more enthusiasm than this DC hire.

I'd be very happy with 7 wins on the heels of a top 30 recruiting class. Damn, I thought I was the hard ass.

I don't really care about OOC wins.

I care about conference wins and playing for championships. Dropping to four league wins next year would be concerning, to me.

I am on board with these expectations and you came up with the same number of wins I did. If he falls short, I will not be calling for his head but that will open the door up for a lot of conversations about one hit wonder and fluke. I get that and was never saying that we should not question the direction. But many want do not want to give him much credit for what he has done and how he has done it. It is always someone else pulling the strings, be it RG or JL and Chev. I think that is utter crap and I am pretty freaking happy we have him right now. We will see how the next 3 years play out like Duff mentioned above. We will all know if he was the guy, just a stop gap for a bigger and better coach or a pretender.

Before Chev and Leavitt Mac floundered. They get here we saw improvement. Also, Mac didn't hire Leavitt, RG did. So this hire makes me wonder bc what has Mac done alone? Nothing. This will send cu football back years, sit back and watch.

My concern is that our 2016 season starts to look like Arizona's 2014 season in the rear view mirror. Yes, there are a ton of differences between the programs. Call it battered Buff syndrome.

That's fine, but those people seem to be a very vocal minority and are easy to ignore if it bothers you that much. Life's too short to spend time being upset over internet banter.

Exactly.

Before Chev and Leavitt Mac floundered. They get here we saw improvement. Also, Mac didn't hire Leavitt, RG did. So this hire makes me wonder bc what has Mac done alone? Nothing. This will send cu football back years, sit back and watch.

Just a few posts later...lol

Here I am trying to make the case that criticising Mac doesn't make a poster a whiny b**ch, then this guy comes along and ruins my whole argument with one awful post.

I would like to hear analysis of play calling.... how a certain left tackles technique is improving, and why. How our cornerbacks match up to the other team's wide receivers. How the press is working more often then when they play man to man. How the coaches are working with the players and how the players are reacting to them.

I really don't care if someone who has no inside knowledge feels about someone they don't know. Come on gus, educate me, don't entertain me. I want a documentary, not a comedy! :ROFLMAO::notworthy::rolleyes::confused::p:barefoot:

I don't really care about OOC wins.

I care about conference wins and playing for championships. Dropping to four league wins next year would be concerning, to me.
You had better care like crazy about OOC wins next season. If we don't win all three of those games, you won't want to be around here for the meltdown that will occur!

To me, the hires have been a mixed bag. Yes, there is Leavitt and Chev but there was also Baer and Neinas and there continues to be Bernardi. I believe that all of the hires were MacIntyre's completely but is this a case of learning and getting better or just luck? For DC's, MacIntyre is 50%. For as good as Leavitt was, Baer was awful. The Eliot hire may turn out to be great but it's pretty uninspiring on the surface.
I agree...his initial staff was a poor P5 staff, and I think he brought them over en masse cuz they knew his system and he didn't want to waste time getting a new staff up to speed. His hires since have been great IMO. No idea if Eliot will work out but I'm trusting Mac.

If you think that RG hired JMFL and Chev with tremendous input from Mac you sir are delusional. And yes, all alone, Mac can't do squat, therefore, he hires a talented group of assistant coaches. Fairly simple to understand.

I think it is interesting the comments we are seeing about MM in various threads. . Folks do not think he was responsible for hiring JL and it was all RG. He cannot recruit. Cannot close. Does not manage the game well. Is too emotional. Is too nerdy. Success due to anyone else on staff besides MM. I am sure other things have been said that I am forgetting and leaving out.

So many have doubts about the guy who came in and in 4 years got CU to be playing for a conference championship. Not sure why there is so much negativity and where it is all coming from. How many predicted that this season would go the direction it did? Is he Saban, no he is not. Is he perfect, no he is not. But he is the first coach to come into this dumpster fire of a program and actually turn it around.

Right now I am damn happy to have him around and glad he is our coach. Love how he represents the University and seems to be doing it the right way. We are back to winning, actually have expectations of getting back to bowl games regularly and being ranked.

Is he methodical and have a vision for what he wants in his coaches and program? To me it appears he does. Does he move as fast as we would like him to on hires, apparently not. Has he completely blown the opportunity given to and now, in my opinion, earned by him. No he has not.

Bottom line, I think MM has earned a bit of latitude by getting the Buffs back into relevancy and playing well. We will not win 10 every year but we are going to be winning more than we lose and there will be more meaningful games played in November and December in the years ahead. The future is bright for the Buffs and while it is not all due to MM, he has had a hand in it, a big one. For that I am grateful to him and glad that he is in Boulder.
I appreciate the spirit behind this initial post. Personally I'm not on board with the pessimism already surfacing in the offseason either. Though I can understand it a little bit from the perspective of 'battered buff syndrome,' as another stated. Really though, I've seen MM as a heck of a motivator for his players, and wields some great accountability. To me, @SINKRATZ, whether you think MM has more to do with our recent rise or less, he clearly knows how to keep those below him (players and staff) and those above him (key stakeholders) accountable. Still can't believe what great facilities we have and great season we had--worst to first--and in part we have MM's holding the players and stakeholders accountable to thank for that. I think that accountability across the whole program is what can/will make it great over a longer period of time than just this past season. Kind of wish the pessimism would be withheld until we have future results to warrant it.

I appreciate the spirit behind this initial post. Personally I'm not on board with the pessimism already surfacing in the offseason either. Though I can understand it a little bit from the perspective of 'battered buff syndrome,' as another stated. Really though, I've seen MM as a heck of a motivator for his players, and wields some great accountability. To me, @SINKRATZ, whether you think MM has more to do with our recent rise or less, he clearly knows how to keep those below him (players and staff) and those above him (key stakeholders) accountable. Still can't believe what great facilities we have and great season we had--worst to first--and in part we have MM's holding the players and stakeholders accountable to thank for that. I think that accountability across the whole program is what can/will make it great over a longer period of time than just this past season. Kind of wish the pessimism would be withheld until we have future results to warrant it.
I'm not quite sure why this was directed at me, but I appreciate that Mac tries to keep people accountable, I hope that means we've seen the last of Bernardi.

wrong-gif.gif

I'm not quite sure why this was directed at me, but I appreciate that Mac tries to keep people accountable, I hope that means we've seen the last of Bernardi.
I agree, Bernardi should be replaced by someone more effective, hopefully Mac has a better solution for that position. Was directed at you because after looking at your first post on this thread, I was like 'damn, that perspective seems way off.'

I think you understate the give and take relationship here amongst MM, Lance Carl, and Rick George.

I think you understate the give and take relationship here amongst MM, Lance Carl, and Rick George.

Yep.

The thing I don't think most people get is that it's a really good working relationship.

Carl and George are football guys who have very valuable insights and their own Rolodexes of good people who are in the coaching profession. MacIntyre welcomes their input, involvement and support because he respects them and they respect that it's his program and his neck on the line so the ultimate decision is his. RG makes it clear that MM is accountable for results (as he should) and with that allows him to be responsible for the decisions that determine his results (as he should) along with the most support and open communication he can through Carl as a de facto "Associate AD for Football". For some reason there have been fans who want to push a narrative of an adversarial or strained relationship where there isn't one.

Back