What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I get constructive criticism but...

And like WR says, let's see some consistentcy before we go overboard. A couple more November performances like last night and I will believe it is real tangible progress. If we lay eggs the rest of the rest of the way, last night does not look as good.

Being better than last season has always been a near certainty.
Fair enough, however I would say that the UCLA game is not the only game this year we have seen real improvement. But absolutely if it is true we are seeing progress, it should be consistent and we should see a trend line in the right direction. I can accept that the jury is still out on how much progress is being made and that we can answer that better at the end of the season.

I call a spade a spade. The theme of the board this week is "celebrate progress". I am neither pissed nor on board with the company line.

It was a loss, just like many of us predicted. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to hang your hat on the progress theme, knock yourself out.

It was a loss. It was not like the ASsU loss. Or the Oregon State loss. Or the Oregon loss. It was not like most of the losses we've seen on the road against ranked teams the last several years. If you see no difference, you really need to find better illegal streams. Yes, it is just one game. They need to repeat it, over and over. And they need to turn it into wins.

But the fact is that we are in a DEEP hole. We aren't going from the bottom of that hole to the top of the conference. Bury your head in the sand and wish for that all you want, but this is going to be a long process. It is going to be measured many times, especially here at the start, in terms of playing better in losses. To ignore that is to ignore where this program is and what is going on with it. And will be for a while. Some of us don't wish to do that. That doesn't mean we're acting like CU won the national championship last night.

It was a loss. It was not like the ASsU loss. Or the Oregon State loss. Or the Oregon loss. It was not like most of the losses we've seen on the road against ranked teams the last several years. If you see no difference, you really need to find better illegal streams. Yes, it is just one game. They need to repeat it, over and over. And they need to turn it into wins.

But the fact is that we are in a DEEP hole. We aren't going from the bottom of that hole to the top of the conference. Bury your head in the sand and wish for that all you want, but this is going to be a long process. It is going to be measured many times, especially here at the start, in terms of playing better in losses. To ignore that is to ignore where this program is and what is going on with it. And will be for a while. Some of us don't wish to do that. That doesn't mean we're acting like CU won the national championship last night.

:yeahthat: Keep fighting Buffs! uCLA can say whatever, but starters were there at the end. This game tarnished their momentum. Betcha recruits noticed also.

Fair enough, however I would say that the UCLA game is not the only game this year we have seen real improvement. But absolutely if it is true we are seeing progress, it should be consistent and we should see a trend line in the right direction. I can accept that the jury is still out on how much progress is being made and that we can answer that better at the end of the season.

Maybe I was just being a homer, but weren't there signs of progress in year 1 of Embree? We almost beat Cal who had just gone in dry the year before. We bent over Arizona, which was nice. Then, we won a freaking road game. Remember how big that was? We finished off the year with a big road game victory against a rival. Then.. 2012.

Mac isn't Hawk or Embree, though. He has a much better pedigree than either of those, so I get that you have faith. I just don't have complete faith. When things suck, I post about it. When things are good, I post about it.

Come on, man. You are totally overboard. That sort of ridiculous optimism gets us nowhere.

Last edited:
November has been a month of progress for the Buffs before.

When Brian Cabral took over from Hawkins, there was progress with two fun wins over Iowa State and Kansas State.
in the first year under Embree, CU closed out the season with a satisfying victory over Utah.

it's not that I don't see a difference in the UCLA game. I do. But I'm not going to be doing back flips over it.

You need to quit telling me what I need to be thinking or what streams I need to be watching. Your smarmy shtick about progress leading to wins is straight out of the pages of Captain Obvious and your assumption that my head is buried in the sand is flat wrong. I know exactly where this program is right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
November has been a month of progress for the Buffs before.

When Brian Cabral took over from Hawkins, there was progress with two fun wins over Iowa State and Kansas State.
in the first year under Embree, CU closed out the season with a satisfying victory over Utah.

it's not that I don't see a difference in the UCLA game. I do. But I'm not going to be doing back flips over it.

You need to quit telling me what I need to be thinking or what streams I need to be watching. Your smarmy shtick about progress leading to wins is straight out of the pages of Captain Obvious and your assumption that my head is buried in the sand is flat wrong. I know exactly where this program is right now.

Look who is telling who what they need to be saying or thinking. If you don't want somebody telling you that progress leads to wins, don't say things like "what difference does progress make?" Because somebody might just answer you. That's not the time for you to try to act offended.

Look who is telling who what they need to be saying or thinking. If you don't want somebody telling you that progress leads to wins, don't say things like "what difference does progress make?" Because somebody might just answer you. That's not the time for you to try to act offended.

Well let me clarify by asking "what difference does progress seen during the UCLA game amount to in the big scheme of things?" The hole that CU is digging itself out of isn't materially less deep today. I could have been more clear.

Carry on.

Maybe I was just being a homer, but weren't there signs of progress in year 1 of Embree? We almost beat Cal who had just gone in dry the year before. We bent over Arizona, which was nice. Then, we won a freaking road game. Remember how big that was? We finished off the year with a big road game victory against a rival. Then.. 2012.

Mac isn't Hawk or Embree, though. He has a much better pedigree than either of those, so I get that you have faith. I just don't have complete faith. When things suck, I post about it. When things are good, I post about it.

Yep, there have been positive signs before. I don't think anybody disagrees that they have to repeat this, and its far from guaranteed that they will. But does that mean we shouldn't comment on it when it happens, or automatically dismiss it? If so, how long do we have to wait to mention the positive things that happen in a loss?

Well let me clarify by asking "what difference does progress seen during the UCLA game amount to in the big scheme of things?" The hole that CU is digging itself out of isn't materially less deep today. I could have been more clear.

Carry on.

Had you said that, I wouldn't have seriously disagreed. Alas, you didn't. You said that you saw no progress, and that progress doesn't matter.

I can only respond to what is actually posted.

Yep, there have been positive signs before. I don't think anybody disagrees that they have to repeat this, and its far from guaranteed that they will. But does that mean we shouldn't comment on it when it happens, or automatically dismiss it? If so, how long do we have to wait to mention the positive things that happen in a loss?

Pointing out positives is different from claiming progress. The sample size based on just UCLA is too limited to call a trend.

By all means we should. I don't have a problem with that. This thread, however, doesn't seem to be doing that. It seems more like some people aren't completely bought in, it has upset boyd's life philosophy, and here we are.

Had you said that, I wouldn't have seriously disagreed. Alas, you didn't. You said that you saw no progress, and that progress doesn't matter.

I can only respond to what is actually posted.

To be a stickler for the truth, I said "Yes, I see progress. What is so important about progress?"

You are wrong to claim I didn't see progress. And you misinterpreted my words by equating the importance of progress with it not mattering.

I'm glad we got that cleared up.

Moving on.

2 missed Field Goals and that idiotic fumble on the kickoff really killed us. Some questionable playcalling inside the redzone didn't help either, but we definitely played hard and looked like a team that was sick of being pushed around. I will be at the game here in Seattle Saturday and I am just looking for the Buffs to play hard again and keep it competitive. The Dawgs lost Kasen Williams for the year so that will help us but they better load up and be ready for about 35 carries from Bishop Sankey. Kieth Price is pretty brittle at this point of the year too so some pressure will be needed too.

2 missed Field Goals and that idiotic fumble on the kickoff really killed us. Some questionable playcalling inside the redzone didn't help either, but we definitely played hard and looked like a team that was sick of being pushed around. I will be at the game here in Seattle Saturday and I am just looking for the Buffs to play hard again and keep it competitive. The Dawgs lost Kasen Williams for the year so that will help us but they better load up and be ready for about 35 carries from Bishop Sankey. Kieth Price is pretty brittle at this point of the year too so some pressure will be needed too.
Sankey is a great back...I look for UW to pound the ball. KP will keep the Buffs honest with some passing, but if I were UW I'd run Sankey and dump to Sefferian-Jenkins all day.

Here's my glass 3/4 full...

Hopefully we have just one more pounding before three competitive games!!

I think all of us here have seen progress and want to see more W's, but what would their record be now with JE or Talkins as HC? Probably win less with no progress, and getting blown out even worse in their losses.

8/17 on third down is pretty good. It would be better if we didn't simultaneously give up 6/11 on defense. Make that 6/14 and the game would have been a lot closer, IMO. Defensive third down efficiency is a big deal to me. That's an area where we still need a lot of work.

AllBuff fans we are close. After watching and re watching, we are close. 1 or 2 plays would have changed the game even more. Not saying we would have won, but those few plays could have swung the momentum or game in our favor.

Nice to see that many (not sure if it is a majority or not) of ABers are able to be objective and notice that there is real progress happening with this team-giving us some hope for the future-something we haven't really had in a while.

If HCMM is able to get some of these JUCOs to plug some holes than I might reassess my estimate on when we could go bowling (currently I believe 2015).

The USC game has become a huge deal. Not only is it an opportunity to show that we are able to compete with the true powerhouses in college football, but we have quite a list of recruits visiting. We need those recruits too. These are not "It would be nice to have" kind of guys. Would instantly transform our depth problems.

A win over USC shows the fan base we are turning the corner. It shows our recruits that we are turning the corner. Could be a corner stone victory and a logical one to add to the wall. Maybe one along the bottom, so we can build upon it.

I asked about a signature win awhile back, USC didn't seem like it would be at the time. They've looked much better the last few games. Still be a tall order to beat them. If we can follow the same blueprint as last week, minus the mistakes, we can at least be in games. Figure out how to finish in the red zone, maybe we can steal a game or two. This team has no wiggle room so that is a must to take advantage when they are in position to do so.

I asked about a signature win awhile back, USC didn't seem like it would be at the time. They've looked much better the last few games. Still be a tall order to beat them. If we can follow the same blueprint as last week, minus the mistakes, we can at least be in games. Figure out how to finish in the red zone, maybe we can steal a game or two. This team has no wiggle room so that is a must to take advantage when they are in position to do so.
If CU plays Cal like they did against UCLA, minus the fumbled KO, I think they probably win. They would need a couple of additional breaks against Utah, but I am afraid beating $C is a pipe dream at this point. They seem to have gelled after Kiffin took his hair gel out of the locker room.

Back