What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I hope in state recruits listen to Joey O'Conner

I think the whole "Boulder is Great" is blown so far out of context by fans as it relates to recruiting it is ridiculous. The whole Boulder experience is an supporting criteria when people are making a decision. If you lack the primary criteria then the supporting criteria makes not one iota of difference as demonstrated by results over time.

A coach is going to have to come into CU and sell recruits and their families that being part of CU Football is going to be something you do not want to miss out on. Then he is going to have to deliver on that promise. Players have to believe in the program even if it has not been successful recently. Right now that is not the case.

James Franklin at Vanderbilt is a great example, he has been able to step up recruiting in spite of Vandy's poor history on the field. They are pulling recruits that have offers from the other SEC schools.

But CU has to believe in itself first and I am not seeing that.

I don't think this recruit is a good example of why CO HS kids should be staying in-state. His dad mentioned O'Conner not enjoying college life with "metropolitan kids". Read whatever you want into that "metropolitan kids" remark.

My take is you have to leave the farm sometime in life. Or not.

There is always culture shock in college, but that's part of why you go to college, to experience life outside of your hometown neighborhood. And to nail some hotter pussy.

I agree that going out of state instead of to Boulder isn't always the best move. But I disagree that recruits should be fearful of culture shock.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/preps/2...nor-leaves-ohio-states-football-program/8490/

He would probably be just as uncomfortable at CU as he was in Columbus.

Personally, I don't think it's a big thing if he wants to go somewhere else due to the culture shock, I've been there (although not to the same extent as O'Connor, I'm sure) and it's pretty strange. It's harder then you think getting along with people that you have nothing in common with.

Tini, you can Google with the best of them. Can you explain to me how CU recruiting well in 1992 has any relevance to 2013?

I half expect your response to include our facilities are not "that bad". Don't let me down.

Tini, you can Google with the best of them. Can you explain to me how CU recruiting well in 1993 has any relevance to 2013?
Sigh...way to try to put words in my mouth, I would like for you to point out where I said that however Jaximus said that when we are competing for championships, like we were in the 90's, we shouldn't expect to recruit in the top 10. Why not? In our only period like that, we were recruiting at a very high level and finished in the top ten 50% of the time. Why couldn't we expect something similar? If anything social media would help us out in that regard. Sure we'd have to win recruiting battles over USC and those schools but if we are a championship caliber team then we should expect to win some of those battles. Or with the 2008 class. Went to a bowl game and finished with a top 20 class (regardless of the "character risks"). Since this is all hypotheticals, the only thing we can look at is history and that would suggest that we can recruit at a very high level if things are rolling.

The only thing we can look at is history... when it is beneficial to the argument and you only look at CU football in a vacuum.:lol:

Yowzers, two years ago I would have never thought to say it, but... 'tini-slapped!

How are people arguing against this? Of course the best recruits go to the most successful schools. Aside from the, ahem, lack of success we also have issues with facilities that we didn't have in the early nineties, but assuming we can take care of that in a few years is there any questions whether we can consistently draw top classes?

Please explain what you are talking about! I honestly have no idea. For starters, are you referring to Louisiana or Los Angeles? I assume the latter, but I honestly have no idea what you are saying!
:lol: Neither do I. Yeah, LA. What I'm trying to say is that a Colorado kid who stays in Colorado will have better opportunities after college than a California kid who plays at, say, USC. I have no proof that this is true. Just a gut feeling.

My only point is that a local kid, not just in Colorado, needs to factor in the benefits of leaving vs staying. Sounds like O'Conner underestimated the benefits of staying home. For some kids, leaving may be a good fit. My other point is that one benefit is name recognition in your home town. The kid who stays home has a good chance of being considered kind of a "home town hero."

No substance to your response...yet again. Shocking.

Because it is not just about record. It never has been. You are basically saying CU just needs to win games and then we will just start plucking elite players out of California, Texas, Louisiana, and even the Midwest. In an era of glitzy facilities, uniforms, and mega TV deals no less?

It cannot be just the record that propels CU to an elite recruiting power. It's the whole damn package! Why did we waste so much damn time talking about assistant coaches? Why do we spend so much damn time talking about facilities? About damn uniforms?

It is like CU fans want us to give every other major team in the country a significant head start and we will just overcome it by getting to bowl games, pictures of the Flatirons, and vague bull**** positivity from university leadership.

Offer the new head coach a big salary pool for assistant coaches, hope for the best, and settle for somewhere in the middle (hopefully). Sounds good.

:lol: Neither do I. Yeah, LA. .

LA didn't answer the question, as it's the postal code abbreviation for Louisiana. I'm sure you know that, but then again I'm not so sure. Anyway, you made it clear with your USC comparison.

Because it is not just about record. It never has been. You are basically saying CU just needs to win games and then we will just start plucking elite players out of California, Texas, Louisiana, and even the Midwest. In an era of glitzy facilities, uniforms, and mega TV deals no less?

It cannot be just the record that propels CU to an elite recruiting power. It's the whole damn package! Why did we waste so much damn time talking about assistant coaches? Why do we spend so much damn time talking about facilities? About damn uniforms?

It is like CU fans want us to give every other major team in the country a significant head start and we will just overcome it by getting to bowl games, pictures of the Flatirons, and vague bull**** positivity from university leadership.

Offer the new head coach a big salary pool for assistant coaches, hope for the best, and settle for somewhere in the middle (hopefully). Sounds good.
You're right, I am assuming, but not with the current staff. For us to get to that level again we are going to need a Gee like president and a AD that is able to sell a vision and all that other good stuff. But hey, continue to try to put words in my mouth (your whole third paragraph). You seem really eager to jump on stuff that I haven't said at all.

Yowzers, two years ago I would have never thought to say it, but... 'tini-slapped!

How are people arguing against this? Of course the best recruits go to the most successful schools. Aside from the, ahem, lack of success we also have issues with facilities that we didn't have in the early nineties, but assuming we can take care of that in a few years is there any questions whether we can consistently draw top classes?
He did help coin the term.

Why would a big time football recruit invest 4-5 of his prime years in a school that won't invest in the program? Boulder is a great place, and everything being equal (facilities, support, coach, tradition) then maybe a kid might pick Boulder over some other major college town.

Back