What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If we got Chris Ball would there be excitement in Buffland?

Reaction if we were to hire Chris Ball

• Sweet hire, as good or better than D Gibbs

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Pleasantly surprised and nice upgrade

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • Ho-hum

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Not a fan

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Just want this thing over with, period

Votes: 15 17.9%

• Total voters
I am not ignoring his ASU stint at all. He seems to be a quality DB coach. I do not know if that equips him to be a solid DC or not. The one time he was given some control over a defense, there were three really bad years and one slightly better year. What is my overall takeaway given those factors? Ball would be an okay hire with some upside. Sorry that offends you, never knew you were such a big fan.

I am not ignoring his ASU stint at all. He seems to be a quality DB coach. I do not know if that equips him to be a solid DC or not. The one time he was given some control over a defense, there were three really bad years and one slightly better year. What is my overall takeaway given those factors? Ball would be an okay hire with some upside. Sorry that offends you, never knew you were such a big fan.
This is more a bigger picture debat (IMO) about how to evaluate performance of coaches. Your original comment completely ignored a mention of his ASU teams and only expressed concerns based on his WSU teams. I was objecting to this logic.

He was only given the co-DC tag this last year. The other years he was just a position coach. And lets be real here, Graham is the DC for that team and has a right hand man that he hauls around with him from stop to stop in Paul Randolph (the other co-DC). Giving Ball as much credit as you're trying to for ASU's success is iffy at best imo.

And why are you assuming we have some massive advantage over those Wazzu teams in the talent department? I'm not an expert on those teams other than they were awful, but I'd put money on us being a whole lot closer in talent to them than we are to the current ASU team.

Ok. Let's try an analogy.

In the business world. Let's say you worked as a co-sales manager in a poor performing Wal-Mart store (was poor before you got there) from 2007-2010. Your performance showed improvement year over year, but was not special compared with sales at better stores around the country.

You eventually became co-sales manager at a better Wal-Mart from 2011-2014. Your performance was quite good and ranked amongst the best in your region and on some stats, you were #2 in the country.

Now, I am looking to hire a sales manager for my Wal-Mart which has shown recent potential to become a good performing store (and historically was amongst the leading stores in the nation). Would I as the hiring manager for my store, focus on your performance at the 1st store from several years ago, or from your most recent performance?

I am not saying I wouldn't consider your earlier performance but I would weight more heavily your most recent performance. And I certainly wouldn't focus only on your numbers from the 1st store at the expense of your more recent performance. Maybe that is just me.

For the sake of accuracy, he was only the co-sales manager at the better Walmart for the last 2 years, he was a sales assistant the first 2 years.

I'm angry at myself for humoring that analogy.

It looks like he's bounced back and forth between position coach and co-DC at some schools with decent defenses and others with sh**ty defenses. It feels kind of re-tready to me, but all I know of him is from his ASU bio.

Last edited:
Like Buffnik has posed, does MM need to go Co-Coordinator? Right now, he's trying to act like a football CEO, delegating all the play calling to the coordinators. Maybe he needs to step back in and do what got him to the head coaching level and start calling the D.

This is more a bigger picture debat (IMO) about how to evaluate performance of coaches. Your original comment completely ignored a mention of his ASU teams and only expressed concerns based on his WSU teams. I was objecting to this logic.
And your posts have basically absolved him of all blame for Wazzu. You got excited because you saw his ASU tenure, took the rosiest outlook possible, and then threw a fit when someone disagreed with you. We have seen this before.

Glad there's a new thread. Really inconvenient to have all the info in one place. Can he recruit? And if not, who's on his tree that can?

Good job guys, one slightly positive poster and everyone jumps him. This is getting closer to Az and buff scoop.

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=209400761&Q_SEASON=2014

:lol:

So ASU had.. 3 DCs this last year? Not even including Graham. Looking at their coaching staff is hilarious.

They have an assistant head coach in Chris Thomsen, a deputy head coach in Mike Norvell, and a senior associate head coach in Paul Randolph. Todd Graham so funny.

Probably has more to do with giving people titles to appease them.

I remember tad talking about that but in his case it was to help make his staff more marketable. Tad wants to build his own coaching tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably has more to do with giving people titles to appease them.

I remember tad talking about that but in his case it was to help make his staff more marketable. Tad wants to build his own coaching tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's definitely what it is, but it's still hilarious. I'm sure the titles come with raises too.

80% voted "nice upgrade" or "ho hum". But hey, your assertion is dead on.

I'm shocked that less than 2% so far is reacting negatively to "if Ball is hired." Are we coming together? Seriously, I don't know what dbnoffs is getting at.

Wait and see for me. He will have a lot of learning to do from MM and will need to show progress in improving the D. Jury out.

I've got nothin. At least as far as predicting success or failure. But, hopefully, we all get better at our jobs over time. I'd venture to say that most successful people have either failed or at least not had great success in a prior job.

My my question is, "How do you succeed with, maybe, limited talent compared to your opposition?" Personally, I think we will need to be aggressive with, maybe, more blitzes and different looks. One thing for sure, we will need to tackle a helluva lot better. We had a lot of missed tackles last season.

Wait and see for me. He will have a lot of learning to do from MM and will need to show progress in improving the D. Jury out.

I think he's the type of guy we are going to wind up with....and I think he's been around a long time.....As far as the "learning", I think you might have let him run his own show defensively if you want him-I don't think he would come here for the secondary coach and a DC or co-DC title given his background.....He's got that in a better situation at ASU right now.

I have no idea if he will be successful here, but yes I would be excited if we hired him. I had expected we were going to get some kind of LB coach from a lower tier school. This guy has been a co-DC in our conference, has shown improvement apparently every season he has been in that role and in his most recent performance (which I insist is usually more important than dated performance) has been pretty impressive.

Just the turnovers he has gotten, 2nd only to D Gibbs' team (but in the PAC) are exciting. And his team's performance against the pass in a very pass-happy league is also quite impressive. I get why there are some concerns but we knew almost for sure there was no full on slam dunk hire left. It is not a reach to imagine him performing well at CU, and a magnitude better than Baer.

If we get him, it is on him to show a quick turnaround similar to what Lindgren has done on the offensive side of the ball. In fact, I think he has more to work with on the D than Lindgren has on the O.

The highest he finished in the country was 95th in scoring defense in 2011. Wazzu finished dead last in the Pac-10 from 2008-2010, by at least five points in each of those years. Obviously not all on him, but fair to question if he just a good DB coach and not much else.

Greg Brown 2.0?

Back