What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I'll believe it when I see it

When Hawk was doing what he wanted at Boise he built his offense around the running game. The reputation was as a passing team because they made a lot of big plays that ended up on the highlight shows but he made them work by forcing teams to respect the run game. He also didn't change the run/pass mix much even if they were way ahead so the blowouts didn't skew the statistics.

As stated earlier our O-line is lighter than some simply because we are so young. Givens lost a bunch of weight due to his health issues but has been putting it back on at a solid pace. I would be surprised if he doesn't come into next season at a minimum of 295. Diet and the weight room should put at least 10-15 on each of the others and suddenly we go from being light to being huge. I actually worry about getting to big because one of the strengths of our line is the athleticism. We have five guys who can move with linebackers and who can get out in front of the play wide or downfield.

CSU has a real strength in their size and experience. On the other hand I have not seen any real indication that they have any kind of quickness and mobility. Last year they had a lot of problems with teams that had fast front sevens. If some of our young D-Linemen step up they could cause some real problems. A few big plays off of penetration putting CSU in bad down and distance and their weaknesses start to show through. There is also a difference between a big guy and a fat guy. Are the CSU lineman 300+ pound guys or are they 270 pound guys with a big gut, we know that CUs guys are big men not fat men.

I'll say it again, 6'6" and 300 lbs is NOT SMALL. Can we please stop with the talk about how this is a small line? :wow:

i tend to agree with valdez in the original post. i hear/see the word "smashmouth" a heckuva lot more from fans than coaches.

i also think the popular fan theory that our downhill/power run game will overpower defenses built to be finesse-y and stop the spread O's in the conference is vastly overstated.

now, when we are churning out 300+ on the ground and dominating the LOS in the 4th Q, i'll eat my crow. :thumbsup:

Kiesau did say in a spring/summer interview to throw out the word "finesse". He believes in attacking a defense. Denver Johnson also prefers coaching to an aggressive blocking scheme and talked about moving the line of scrimmage in earlier interviews. We will never see a return of option football and it's not the "I" formation, but this is definitely going to be power football.

Kiesau did say in a spring/summer interview to throw out the word "finesse". He believes in attacking a defense. Denver Johnson also prefers coaching to an aggressive blocking scheme and talked about moving the line of scrimmage in earlier interviews. We will never see a return of option football and it's not the "I" formation, but this is definitely going to be power football.
Most people would be happy to see less shotgun. Me included.

You just can't run that without a fairly mobile QB. Hansen would do well in that offense imo.
Hansen is gonna do GREAT in this offense. More importantly than even him, is that our RBs and Oline will do better as well, and our biggest weakness (WR) will be limited.

Hansen is gonna do GREAT in this offense. More importantly than even him, is that our RBs and Oline will do better as well, and our biggest weakness (WR) will be limited.
Hansen is a question mark when it comes to passing the ball. For some stupid reason, they didn't really let him toss the ball much last season. I know he had some good throws, but not enough to get a real feel for his arm.

Hansen is a question mark when it comes to passing the ball. For some stupid reason, they didn't really let him toss the ball much last season. I know he had some good throws, but not enough to get a real feel for his arm.
that was one part sunshine pumping on my part, and the rest was honest opinion.

From the throws I saw it looked to me like he had a strong enough arm, but the accuracy seemed like it was still a work in process... :huh:

From the throws I saw it looked to me like he had a strong enough arm, but the accuracy seemed like it was still a work in process... :huh:
:stupid:

That plus footwork/general pocket presence and read progression are his issues... lets hope they are solved.

I'll say it again, 6'6" and 300 lbs is NOT SMALL. Can we please stop with the talk about how this is a small line? :wow:

Especially when they are in shape and don't have spare tires dangling down below their belts. Our guys are in shape.

You just can't run that without a fairly mobile QB. Hansen would do well in that offense imo.

The Pats would disagree with that statement. They have playmakers though, but never an awesome RB and they do have a slow QB (who makes good reads too).

You seem to ignore CU's recent history. The last time they won the Big XII championship, they did it with C Brown and Bobby Purify, while the QB was the cement-footed B Pesavento, hardly anyone's ideal of a mobile QB!:lol:

Now, about Pesavento's mouth, however...........

You seem to ignore CU's recent history. The last time they won the Big XII championship, they did it with C Brown and Bobby Purify, while the QB was the cement-footed B Pesavento, hardly anyone's ideal of a mobile QB!:lol:

Now, about Pesavento's mouth, however...........
errrrr what? he was talking about the spread or perhaps spread option offense.

errrrr what? he was talking about the spread or perhaps spread option offense.

Valdez asserted that a team could not have a solid running attack without a fairly mobile QB. Based on CU history, this is an incorrect assertion, since they used a grandfather clock to time Bobby Pesavento's 40 times!

Valdez asserted that a team could not have a solid running attack without a fairly mobile QB. Based on CU history, this is an incorrect assertion, since they used a grandfather clock to time Bobby Pesavento's 40 times!
I believe he meant that in the context of the spread offense. No mobile QB = No running game IN THAT OFFENSE. nobody would state you need a mobile QB to run the ball in a traditional offense, that is just silly.

If it's about the running game out of the spread, then the Patriots are a terrible counterpoint. They can't run the ball for sh!t.

If it's about the running game out of the spread, then the Patriots are a terrible counterpoint. They can't run the ball for sh!t.
I know they aren't good at it but given how much they pass are they really that bad? What is their YPC average?

I was talking about running the spread.

2008 - 4.4 average
2007 - 4.1
2006 - 3.9
2005 - 3.4

Really impressive how they improved that. I didn't realize they'd been so good last year and made such strides over the past 4 years.

2008 - 4.4 average
2007 - 4.1
2006 - 3.9
2005 - 3.4

Really impressive how they improved that. I didn't realize they'd been so good last year and made such strides over the past 4 years.
This is the Pats rushing average?

I know the Pats aren't the best running team, but I always thought they were decent. I'm not that big on the NFL though.

I believe he meant that in the context of the spread offense. No mobile QB = No running game IN THAT OFFENSE. nobody would state you need a mobile QB to run the ball in a traditional offense, that is just silly.

Go back and read his original quote and take into account the context of this thread, which he started! I agree, its silly!

Again. I was referring to running the spread.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post.:confused:

Still, I'm of the opinion Hawkins has been and will be a run-first type of O coach, he just has not had the horses up front to do it! That, combined with the technique-instead-of-toughness emphasis of the departed, yet unlamented, Grimes, set back the ground game.

Back