What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I'm on the "Fire Hawkins" bandwagon now

I think this is very simple. The offense is better than last year--they scored points when they were trying hard--but we're still not a good enough team that we can score points simply by out-athleting a D1 opponent. This team doesn't have a power running game that can churn out 4-5 yards a carry when the other team knows we aren't going to pass. However, I thought the 82-yard drive was a good look at what this offense could be this year. We are going to spread the field and make defenses prepare for deep fly routes, quick bubble screens, crossing routes, and the run out of the shotgun once the defense is on the backpedal. We are not going to be able to line up and knock the other team off the ball when they know we want to run because we're up 24-0 and trying to kill the clock.
Good post.

I'm not making an excuse for executing poorly. Once again, and maybe this time it will be clear:

Issue #1: CU not opening up the playbook on Saturday.

I say that we did not open it up and this was the correct decision.

Issue #2: CU's execution on offense on Saturday.

I say this was poor and we've got some things to fix.

syko, you seemed to be arguing on point #1. That's where I disagree with you. Now you seem to be changing the subject to point #2, which I don't disagree on. In fact, I believe I was the first one who brought up point #2 within this thread.

Okay. I'm just looking for these quotes and soundbites...

The playbook and execution were better in the first half by a ratio of 17:7.

The problem appears to be with the depth and health concerns Hagan's RB's. CSU's QB was getting more confident as the game wore on. CU's offense was unable to execute any sustained clock-eating ground game in the second half. The team has flashes of potential, but did not show an ability to string together four solid quarters of offense.

I'm not making an excuse for executing poorly. Once again, and maybe this time it will be clear:

Issue #1: CU not opening up the playbook on Saturday.

I say that we did not open it up and this was the correct decision.

syko, you seemed to be arguing on point #1. That's where I disagree with you. Now you seem to be changing the subject to point #2, which I don't disagree on. In fact, I believe I was the first one who brought up point #2 within this thread.

Issue #2 is why I disagree with you on Issue #1. If you are having trouble getting your excecution down, then work on excecution during a blowout game. What better "practice" than to actually work on things in a game situation?

Issue #2 is why I disagree with you on Issue #1. If you are having trouble getting your excecution down, then work on excecution during a blowout game. What better "practice" than to actually work on things in a game situation?

I think #2 reinforces why #1 was a good decision. If you're not executing your base plays, work on them. Don't blow a team out with scheme and trickeration you may need later in the season when that blow out is completely unnecessary. It would have been counter-productive, imo, and would have created an obstacle to convincing these players that they've got a long way to go and a lot of work to do.

1) As Irv likes to say, everyone has the same plays, it's when you call them. If you have good players and competent coaches, it shouldn't ****ing matter if your future opponents get to see your entire playbook. Average fans put way too much stock into this concept. If that's really what we were doing yesterday, then it's just Exhibit No. 750 that our coaches are morons.

2) Did Dan Hawkins, or did he not, arrive in Boulder thumping his chest and talking about stepping on other team's throats and not letting up?? "Did Ghandi take a knee?" was the rhetorical quote I seem to remember......

I think #2 reinforces why #1 was a good decision. If you're not executing your base plays, work on them. Don't blow a team out with scheme and trickeration you may need later in the season when that blow out is completely unnecessary. It would have been counter-productive, imo, and would have created an obstacle to convincing these players that they've got a long way to go and a lot of work to do.

See. Thats why I'm a coach and you aren't. :lol:

2) Did Dan Hawkins, or did he not, arrive in Boulder thumping his chest and talking about stepping on other team's throats and not letting up?? "Did Ghandi take a knee?" was the rhetorical quote I seem to remember......

For Gandhi, ahimsa was the expression of the deepest love for all humans, including one’s opponents; this non-violence therefore included not only a lack of physical harm to them, but also a lack of hatred or ill-will towards them.

Thanks, Crash. You've provided the best explanation for the last 4 years.

The playbook and execution were better in the first half by a ratio of 17:7.

The problem appears to be with the depth and health concerns Hagan's RB's. CSU's QB was getting more confident as the game wore on. CU's offense was unable to execute any sustained clock-eating ground game in the second half. The team has flashes of potential, but did not show an ability to string together four solid quarters of offense.

This. There was a short period of time about midway thru the 2nd quarter that it looked like our offense was making it look easy, but that was pretty much the end of that. The 2nd half was a combination of poor execution and our inability to run the ball and grind it out. This may sound like a broken record of the past few years, but I expected a bit more domination out of our OL considering the opponent. The potential of Torres as more of a power back is encouraging though.

I have no doubt that the offense shut down in the second half, I just am not sure it was a decision made by the coaching staff instead of a simple continuation of the pattern we have seen the past four years.

How many times has this team played a game with two solid halves on offense. When we are solid on offense in the first half it seems to shut down even if the game is close or we are behind.

This is a big part of the problem with Hawk, this team has shown a distinct lack of ability to maintain any continuity over the course of a game, even against bad competition.

I've been gone all weekend, so i didn't to comment on this earlier.

I am pretty surprised that everyone is so down on a very solid beating of CSU. I must be crazy, but I thought the gameplan was great. Get the ball to the guys on the outside who are better athletes then what CSU has... rinse and repeat.

Should we have put up more points? Absolutely. Hansen missed some wide open throws that stalled drives, and penalties are still a problem.

I don't know.... I'm optimistic. I thought it was a great performance. The game was pretty much never in doubt.

I am pretty surprised that everyone is so down on a very solid beating of CSU. I must be crazy, but I thought the gameplan was great. Get the ball to the guys on the outside who are better athletes then what CSU has... rinse and repeat.

Should we have put up more points? Absolutely. Hansen missed some wide open throws that stalled drives, and penalties are still a problem.

I don't know.... I'm optimistic. I thought it was a great performance. The game was pretty much never in doubt.

I think, after kind of defending Hawkins for the last 9 months, I had my hopes a lot higher. Hansen was OK, but, like you said, missed on several passes. Our running game, 115 total yards, was pedestrian at best. I hope this "vanilla game plan" stuff is true. However, I don't think Hawkins should even consider vanilla game plans at this juncture in his career. But, maybe, hopefully, there is some sort of method to his madness.

It seems to me like everyone that was at the game came out happy and everyone that watched it on TV is disappointed.

I think Pterodactyl cam is to blame.

i'm happy with the performance.

the work inside on offense was effective, we have some good movement at the tailback position that will improve as the season progresses.

we have some speed on the outside that will open up the playbook (assuming we have a playbook).

we have good containment on the defensive line of scrimmage and good backup to fill the gaps.

we need to stop making the mental mistakes on offense.

we need bring it on defense more frequently.

we need to get the tight end in the game.

we need to get our heads out of our ass on the coaching side of the ball and use our talent effectively.

those are the little things...

The game was never in doubt because CSU is THAT ****ing bad. They are an awful, awful team right now. Given our clear talent advantage, we should have scored at least two more TDs. The second half performance by the offense was downright pathetic, and completely in line with Hawkins-coached teams here for the past 4 years. CU should have been blowing through them in the second half. Instead, we limped along.

I was very pleased with the run defense; however, the continued lack of pass rush, even when we blitz, has got to change. The true freshman QB was looking a lot more solid late in the game. The next three QBs we face won't make nearly the mistakes petey-boy made without a lot of heat.

Here's why I was disappointed.

CSU's freshman qb completed 75% of his passes.
CU running game generated barely 100 yards.
CU offense only able to generate roughly 300 yards against perhaps the worst defense we'll face this season.
Too many dumb penalties. Illegal formation. False start. Etc. 10 penalties for 100+ yards is terrible.
24 points against CSU??
Team still has no killer instinct, mean streak, etc. Looked like they just went through the motions after getting up.
Much to work on as the season continues.

Wow, what a thread, I was offline all weekend, but I'm flabbergasted DBT has seen the light. Miracles never cease.:smile2:

I will always be happy with a three TD *****slapping of the goats.

A few things to consider though:

1. Hopefully first game jitters, but 10 penalties for 105 yards smacks of the same sloppy play we've seen 4 years running.

2. 3-15 on 3rd down is pretty poor and will kill CU against a quality opponent.

3. How many more line drive punts are we gonna see?:wow:

4. Patterson is the real deal, as is Clemons

5. TH looked good, not great, but good and it was nice to see the ball go somewhere other than the flat, if you know what I mean.

6. Run game remains shaky.

7. BLock got blown up tying to pass block.

8. OL still shaky at times.

Say what you want, but the goats do have a quality QB in the making, Thomas will be good.

The game was never in doubt because CSU is THAT ****ing bad. They are an awful, awful team right now. Given our clear talent advantage, we should have scored at least two more TDs. The second half performance by the offense was downright pathetic, and completely in line with Hawkins-coached teams here for the past 4 years. CU should have been blowing through them in the second half. Instead, we limped along.

I was very pleased with the run defense; however, the continued lack of pass rush, even when we blitz, has got to change. The true freshman QB was looking a lot more solid late in the game. The next three QBs we face won't make nearly the mistakes petey-boy made without a lot of heat.

They dont play to win, they play not to lose. I dont have a lot of faith in Hawkins teams to win if things get close.

They dont play to win, they play not to lose. I dont have a lot of faith in Hawkins teams to win if things get close.

This. What we saw Saturday was an average win over a very poor team. I think the D is fine, but I don't see this season going well if the offense can't score more than 24 against the worst defense it will see all season.

People that think that this is the worst defense that we will see did not watch the Hawaii vs USC game.

This is a funny thread after a win. If we talk like this after a win, we are going to run out of things to say after losses.

I still don't know how to feel. It was just a "blah" win. The encouraging thing is how wide open our receivers were. Tyler was OK but he needs to be sharper. He also needs to get over the happy feet. I just don't see Dan Hawkins being a perenial 9 or 10 win coach. At least we look like we have a defense that will keep us in most games and we have some game breakers, potentially, on offense.

Tyler was OK but he needs to be sharper. He also needs to get over the happy feet.

This and penalties are what killed any offensive continuity. I expect TH to be less amped up for Cal. He should come out at Cal loose as there is no pressure on him in that game. Whether the penalties go away remains to be seen. However, this was the first game and under most coaches execution improves greatly from Game 1 to 2. Let's pray that will finally happen under Hawk.

Sorry. The bandwagon is full. You'll have to wait for the next one. It left California around 5PM today.

Geesh! Cu beats CSU with authority and gets the %$it kicked out of them by Cal (as most expected) and now everyone wants Hawkin's head on a stick after just 2 games. Neg rep me all you want but it's only been 2 games into the season.

No one is going to fire Hawkins just yet so get behind the Buffs and lets see if they can win some games.

Good Luck in the 12-Pac!

Geesh! Cu beats CSU with authority and gets the %$it kicked out of them by Cal (as most expected) and now everyone wants Hawkin's head on a stick after just 2 games. Neg rep me all you want but it's only been 2 games into the season.

No one is going to fire Hawkins just yet so get behind the Buffs and lets see if they can win some games.

Good Luck in the 12-Pac!

Actually we wanted his head on a stick since last fall

Back