What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Impressed by the coaching in Game 1

We are all happy to hear you say I told you so! A lot of good things happened on Sunday. However, I have never seen a first-game CU team this well prepared since old Mac. That is a very good sign.

I really hope our guys come out swinging on Saturday. Time to build some momentum.

Just think how much better prepared this team will look after a year in the system. I'm predicting a 52-3 RMS victory in 2014.

One of the things that excites me is that this kind of coaching that will surprise someone. I really believe we will upset one ranked team this year that doesn't take us seriously. After the past two years much of the PAC 12 has no respect for us and will overlook us. If we continue to play sound football and can produce sustained drives and minimize turnovers we can do it.

One of the things that excites me is that this kind of coaching that will surprise someone. I really believe we will upset one ranked team this year that doesn't take us seriously. After the past two years much of the PAC 12 has no respect for us and will overlook us. If we continue to play sound football and can produce sustained drives and minimize turnovers we can do it.

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I'm looking at that date with $C on November 23rd. They're coming off Stanford and they have UCLA the following week.

//Completely drunk on kool-aid.

Talking to some friends after the game, we saw USC as one of those games Timmy. They play us after Stanford and before their huge rivalry game with UCLA. That could be our huge upset. Assuming they aren't in the running for the NC at that point.

band kids think alike

Last edited:
I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I'm looking at that date with $C on November 23rd. They're coming off Stanford and they have UCLA the following week.

//Completely drunk on kool-aid.
After the **** we've had to endure the last 7-8 years, I'm binging!!!!! WTH...could be a bad hangover Saturday, but I'm living it up now!

I just loved the offense. First time in years I have seen an offense actually knowing what they want to do and actually following through.

Cannot say enough about sticking with the running game either. It is a mindset and you do not abandon a running game that is struggling.

The last time CU really dominated another team was Miami of Ohio. I can't think of a victory sense then when I've felt better about CU taking control of a game and keeping it. Ok. The third quarter was a mess due to kick coverage. But it was clear that CU was the better team all the way through.

It was nice to look down at the sideline and not see coaches yelling at coaches, or ripping the players every time they came off the field.

Have waited to post on the game and this seems like the best thread to do it in. After watching this program be mismanaged under the last two coaches, having MikeMac on the sideline is like waking up from a bad dream. I thought we had gotten a good one based on what I have seen, what I have read and the reports coming out of camp, and we did.

The players were where they were supposed to be. The understood how to flow and push a play to the appropriate gap on defense. There was a well thought out game plan. There was discipline. There was patience. There was sound improvement in all positions (save the special teams which will get better with film study and experience). Plays got onto the field effectively and efficiently. Few mind numbing penalties. QB development. Perseverance.

You get the point. I am not predicting 6 wins, but I will predict we will have a chance to win 6 games and may just find a way to get there. I can tell you this, the kids on the team think they can win again and that is a big start.

Thanks MikeMac for helping me to see some light at the end of a very long tunnel.

I was one of those who predicted a CU win and by more than a TD. As bad as we were last year CSU is flat out terrible and I knew that our coaching couldn't be as bad as it was last year when we would have won with any kind of coaching job.

Despite all that I was pleasantly surprised. Make a couple of tackle on the return game and this game was a blow out. I saw a completely different attitude and approach. I saw a team that was organized and got to the LOS quickly and confidently. I saw a team that had a plan and stuck to the plan with some minor adjustments, especially in STs as Nik mentioned. I saw a staff and a team that played the entire game despite a rough stretch at the beginning of the second half. They quit when the final whistle blew, not before it.

It's important that this wasn't a fluke win. It's important that they had a plan and won with it. It's important that the coaches coached and the players did their jobs. A game like this makes what gets said in practice and film room that much more credible, that much more believable, and that much more welcome by the players. This is a team that knows what it is like to suck, being a quality team with a quality win means a lot.

This game left zero room for a "Here we go again" attitude. We will lose games this year, some of them badly but the players and the coaches have gotten a solid glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a train this time.

Edit: And Brad thanks for setting up my final line. I was typing and putting kids to bed while you posted.

The impact of the coaching was on full display during Henderson's fumble return. Watch the video and listen to the post game interviews. When Henderson is about 20 yds into his return he takes the ball that was tucked away and pulls it even higher and tighter as if he was replaying their drills in his head and he says to himself, I'm not carrying the ball right.

That one subtle move said a lot to me.

All great comments. To add to them...

What I saw was a well conditioned team. Last year we always faded after the half. On Sunday we still had gas in the tank when winning time came around while the lammies had their hands on their hips and looked spent. It was so nice to once again see a buff team that had enough energy to stay focused in the 4th so we could win the game. I still think we have a way to go in the strength department before we can really play mean and nasty but at least we have the stamina to play a full game, and play it fast. That may be enough to steal an upset.

I still think we will be lucky to win 3 this year. CSU is a terrible team and we had to fight hard to put them down. I expect most of our opponents left on the schedule have a lot more to bring to the table than the lammies and our talent gap will show more and more (especially if we have injuries - and we will). We are off to a great start but what's broken at CU can't be fixed in one off season.

Too early for koolaid, I'm drinking reality ale.

I'm with ya, SJ. Not sipping the koolaid yet, but I'm very, very, very happy with the win. Lotsa great observations in this, and other threads. The team looks much more disciplined and that's a testament to both the coaches and the players.

3 wins is doable; anything more is just icing on the cake, and it bodes very well for the future.

The impact of the coaching was on full display during Henderson's fumble return. Watch the video and listen to the post game interviews. When Henderson is about 20 yds into his return he takes the ball that was tucked away and pulls it even higher and tighter as if he was replaying their drills in his head and he says to himself, I'm not carrying the ball right.

That one subtle move said a lot to me.

You noticed that, too! Great! I thought the same thing when Hendo pulled that ball higher. Also, did you note all players ran into the end zone. No funky slow down steps or posing. Just business-like football. Now, if Hendo'll just tackle on STs!

And I'm getting more than a little tired of all the "wait and see" potential bandwagon jumper-pussies complaining about lack of talent. The talent is there, it just needed to be coached up. This team is not only fit and stronger, but knowledgeable as well. And as HCMM syas, "Knowledge = playing faster". This staff has a plan, they executed it from the beginning and they teach well, without screaming obscenities or pouting or looking confused or disgusted. If the opponent makes a play, so be it. This bunch just encourages their guys to make one more play themsleves.

To me, the one series that defined this staff's approach was the Prich second TD call. The Buffs got the ball back with six-point lead, with just more than 5 mins. to go in the game. Our past staffs would likely have tried to eat some clock with conservative running plays on the first couple of downs. Not these guys! They went right after another score with that pass call to PRich, then smartly went for and got two after the TD. That sequence spoke volumes about this staff.

Another point about the coaching is that they're all doing a fantastic job of managing the depth chart. Redshirts have been kept available for nearly all the frosh and even some of the sophs who could use the extra year. Gets me excited about the future and how we'll have a bunch of 5th year seniors and 4th year juniors giving leadership in a few years.

You noticed that, too! Great! I thought the same thing when Hendo pulled that ball higher. Also, did you note all players ran into the end zone. No funky slow down steps or posing. Just business-like football. Now, if Hendo'll just tackle on STs!

And I'm getting more than a little tired of all the "wait and see" potential bandwagon jumper-pussies complaining about lack of talent. The talent is there, it just needed to be coached up. This team is not only fit and stronger, but knowledgeable as well. And as HCMM syas, "Knowledge = playing faster". This staff has a plan, they executed it from the beginning and they teach well, without screaming obscenities or pouting or looking confused or disgusted. If the opponent makes a play, so be it. This bunch just encourages their guys to make one more play themsleves.

To me, the one series that defined this staff's approach was the Prich second TD call. The Buffs got the ball back with six-point lead, with just more than 5 mins. to go in the game. Our past staffs would likely have tried to eat some clock with conservative running plays on the first couple of downs. Not these guys! They went right after another score with that pass call to PRich, then smartly went for and got two after the TD. That sequence spoke volumes about this staff.

As much as I would love to give full credit to the staff for this play, that is not the way I heard it happened. From what I have gathered it was just a great read by Connor. He read the defense and went away from where the play was intended and as soon as the safety bit, all he had to do was play catch. In a way I think that shows even greater ability by the coaching staff. They have taken a downtrodden player with a broken ego and made him believe in himself again. I can't wait to see how far Connor goes.

Another point about the coaching is that they're all doing a fantastic job of managing the depth chart. Redshirts have been kept available for nearly all the frosh and even some of the sophs who could use the extra year. Gets me excited about the future and how we'll have a bunch of 5th year seniors and 4th year juniors giving leadership in a few years.

5th year seniors.... I... I dont even remember what a team with those guys sprinkled around on both sides of the ball even looks like.

As much as I would love to give full credit to the staff for this play, that is not the way I heard it happened. From what I have gathered it was just a great read by Connor. He read the defense and went away from where the play was intended and as soon as the safety bit, all he had to do was play catch. In a way I think that shows even greater ability by the coaching staff. They have taken a downtrodden player with a broken ego and made him believe in himself again. I can't wait to see how far Connor goes.

Good point. Especially when you consider they brought in Gehrke for competition, in a late, semi-Webb-like way. But in the end played that perfectly, adding to depth without destroying Wood's confidence.

Shoot! I'm comfortable that Stevie Joe could do the job if called upon, after watching the Wood miracle.

He's still not ruling out Jordan Webb potentially coming back, at least publicly. I'd like to move on...

He's still not ruling out Jordan Webb potentially coming back, at least publicly. I'd like to move on...

What if it allowed Gehrke and Sefo to redshirt? We'd then have a redshirt QB in each class for 2014. It wouldn't be the worst thing.

As noted by many of you. After watching the game for like the 6th time last night (feels good to want to re watch finally, not just hit the red button and delete as soon as it is over)
I noticed a team that was very business like, methodical, finished plays, ran hard, very focused, great team support/spirit. Seems as though the team wanted no chance for an error and let the rams sneak back up on em?

That was the impression I got was that the 2nd TD to P rich was supposed to be a short underneath throw with P rich supposed to be pulling the safeties deep.... Connor saw the safety bite and decided to go deep. To me this says 2 things...... first of all good play call. Gives you a good chance for an underneath completion on a fairly safe play, but also gives the option to exploit D if they tried to cheat up. Second shows the staff coached connor well and he knew what he was looking for. Most importantly they enabled him to make the big play. They didn't bog him down in BS conservative plays. They used their offense which was working all day. No reverting to a running game that was struggling (Or as I call it pulling a John Fox). Great coaching and great game for the new staff

Back