What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interesting comments from Ringo regarding the Miami (OH) game

If you read the article in the BDC linked above, it lists the teams available. Pretty short list.

And the only reason to play nice with Miami is to not get blackballed by the MAC. Frankly, I'd risk it to get that 750,000 and we'll schedule our own replacement, thanks.

If you read the article in the BDC linked above, it lists the teams available. Pretty short list.

And the only reason to play nice with Miami is to not get blackballed by the MAC. Frankly, I'd risk it to get that 750,000 and we'll schedule our own replacement, thanks.

Is that necessarily a bad thing???? Are we going to cry if we can never play Toledo or Miami (OH) again??? Take the $$ and run, because they are the one that's potentially blackballing us here by backing out, am I not correct?

I read the article but I still don't see the list. Perhaps I'm blind?

Some teams that have open dates on that weekend:

-Rutgers
-Memphis
-Akron
-Northern Illinois
-Middle Tennessee

Is that necessarily a bad thing???? Are we going to cry if we can never play Toledo or Miami (OH) again??? Take the $$ and run, because they are the one that's potentially blackballing us here by backing out, am I not correct?

Really, who he hell cares about the MAC. They're not a BCS conference and they're not local to CU's region. :confused:

I read the article but I still don't see the list. Perhaps I'm blind?

I must be blind also because I'm not seeing it either. :huh: The article I read is this one:

http://www.buffzone.com/blogs/buffzone-sports/2009/feb/20/miami/

If we get blackballed by the MAC then the Big XII should blackball them in return. They'll back down given the huge, potential money payouts.

Sorry, serves me right for linking Ringo:lol:. Here's a link from someone who actually does reporting on CU sports, instead of regurgitating press releases and starting trouble with recruits' parents:

http://www.cuatthegame.com/?p=114#preview

And in case I was misunderstood, I'm not saying getting blackballed by the MAC is a bad thing. We should hold miami to their contract unless they pay us the $750,000. I was just speculating why Bohn might be playing nice.

Seriously, why on god's green earth should CU play any of the above schools on the road? CU owed Miami a home game, not any of those schools, including those in the MAC. Since Miami is the team bailing out, CU owes nobody nothing. Blackballed by the MAC? WTF?!?!?

If Miami doesn't want to live up to its commitment that's their problem.

Really, who he hell cares about the MAC. They're not a BCS conference and they're not local to CU's region. :confused:

I don't know if you've been following our recruiting the last couple of years but we've pulled a few people out of the MAC region. I'm not sure what the prospects are for the next year or two but a game in that region may not be a bad thing. MAC teams also aren't considered push-overs anymore.

Seriously, why on god's green earth should CU play any of the above schools on the road? CU owed Miami a home game, not any of those schools, including those in the MAC. Since Miami is the team bailing out, CU owes nobody nothing. Blackballed by the MAC? WTF?!?!?

If Miami doesn't want to live up to its commitment that's their problem.

I hadn't thought of that but ^^^^^ is very true. Let's play any of those teams at home. More money from tv, concessions, ticket sales etc

I don't know if you've been following our recruiting the last couple of years but we've pulled a few people out of the MAC region. I'm not sure what the prospects are for the next year or two but a game in that region may not be a bad thing. MAC teams also aren't considered push-overs anymore.

There are two main reasons why the AD wants to keep this game. First, they want a national TV game. Second, there is the recruiting angle you're talking about. JMO.

I'm confused. If Miami bails on us, but finds us a substitute game with a MAC opponent, will the resulting game be a road game, or a home game for us. I know the Miami game is a road game, but what about the prospective game with door #2?

I'm confused. If Miami bails on us, but finds us a substitute game with a MAC opponent, will the resulting game be a road game, or a home game for us. I know the Miami game is a road game, but what about the prospective game with door #2?

From what I can gather, Miami, OH is trying to hook us up with another MAC team ON THE ROAD to compensate for the game they're dropping. If this is truly the case, Bohn needs to give them a two word response. If they want to drop - fine. Pay us our $750K and we'll schedule Middle Tennessee or Weber State or whoever is available and we'll play them at home.

Somebody should send Dave Plati an e-mail on this and see what he says. I'd prefer to not send him an e-mail from my work.

From what I can gather, Miami, OH is trying to hook us up with another MAC team ON THE ROAD to compensate for the game they're dropping. If this is truly the case, Bohn needs to give them a two word response. If they want to drop - fine. Pay us our $750K and we'll schedule Middle Tennessee or Weber State or whoever is available and we'll play them at home.

Somebody should send Dave Plati an e-mail on this and see what he says. I'd prefer to not send him an e-mail from my work.

Screw miami, give us our $$$$ and we'll play another home game.

Time for you to get a web-based email account. There's more out there than dial-up AOL at home you know.

That was quick. I got an email from Dave Plati and he says they have a number of scenarios they are working on, including keeping the game as is. However, if it is changed it WILL be an away game. He said they've already set their season ticket package and most D-1 schools aren't looking for a road game. Plus, he said CU has no interest in adding a DII school. They hope to know w/in 10 days or so.

That was quick. I got an email from Dave Plati and he says they have a number of scenarios they are working on, including keeping the game as is. However, if it is changed it WILL be an away game. He said they've already set their season ticket package and most D-1 schools aren't looking for a road game. Plus, he said CU has no interest in adding a DII school. They hope to know w/in 10 days or so.

I had a feeling that would be the response...and it is utterly bogus to me...tickets haven't been printed yet, and I highly doubt there would be a negative uproar from the season ticket holders that have already purchased their tickets if they were sent a letter asking to contribute more $ for 1 more home game...I'd cut my check in 2 minutes

Schedule a DII opponent at home. The season ticket holders will pay the extra money. This is a shortsighted move. There's nothing like going to a game at Folsom, particularly in September. Don't be stupid, schedule the extra home game.

Just to defend the AD, remember that they had to raise ticket prices in the middle of a recession, and only having 6 games in the package kept the package price the same as last year. I'm not sure I agree with not getting another home game anyway, but they aren't in a very happy position. I hope the game ends up staying the same, a road game at Miami/Ohio.

Of course, if they got the $750,000 from MU, and didn't have to give too much of it away to get an opponent in here, they could comp the season ticket holders the game, and the single game tickets sales could be gravy. Not that people would be lining up to pay $50 to see us wallop UNC, but its a thought.

Just to defend the AD, remember that they had to raise ticket prices in the middle of a recession, and only having 6 games in the package kept the package price the same as last year. I'm not sure I agree with not getting another home game anyway, but they aren't in a very happy position. I hope the game ends up staying the same, a road game at Miami/Ohio.

Of course, if they got the $750,000 from MU, and didn't have to give too much of it away to get an opponent in here, they could comp the season ticket holders the game, and the single game tickets sales could be gravy. Not that people would be lining up to pay $50 to see us wallop UNC, but its a thought.

They could get UNC in here (That's Northern Colorado), and charge $25 a ticket for the game. Hell, you'd get all 200 of UNC's faithfull at the game, too. At $25 a ticket, with 45,000 tickets sold, that's $1.1MM, plus the $750K from Miami, Ohio in revenue we didn't have before.

Honestly, we need to do this - or something similar.

45,000 aren't going to pay to see a CU-Northern Colorado game.

45,000 aren't going to pay to see a CU-Northern Colorado game.

Oh sure they will. We got 45,000 people to watch CU play Eastern Washington. We'd get more if the school we were playing was from right up the road.

Back