What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Highway 36 still under construction?

I seriously doubt you have ever flown into DIA 3 hours before game time and have had to rent a car.

So your local experience isn't really relevant here.

Since when is 75 min versus 50-60 min doubling your time? If he takes 36, as you recommend, he likely to burn 15 min on 36 between Baseline and Colorado trying to turn left into campus.

I've landed 2 hours before a game before and made kickoff at Folsom

Traffic was flowing very smoothly before four hours before the ASU game a couple weeks ago on 160th. The lights aren't a big deal.
Avoid 102nd or 144. The lights do suck on that route.

Horrible from a Longmont perspective =/= horrible from a normal perspective. Sacky lives 5 minutes from work in small town USA.

It amuses me how people downplay how brutal 36 can be between Broadway and Colorado. That intersection sucks when you are cutting it close.

I'm pretty sure you mean Baseline.

And yeah, my perspective is skewed. I admit that. 120th and 104th suck, though. There ARE a ton of lights on both of those streets.

Screw it. Just take NW Parkway to I-25, go North to Hwy 52, West on 52 to the Diagonal, then into town. Thank me later. :lol:

Seeing as you live on 144th 5 minutes east of 287, your commute isn't all that relevant. Driving to Boulder M-F on a work commute from your location isn't the same thing as Game Day traffic from DIA.

gupu3ene.jpg

I pick 25 bucks and go 1A.

Traffic was flowing very smoothly before four hours before the ASU game a couple weeks ago on 160th. The lights aren't a big deal.
Avoid 102nd or 144. The lights do suck on that route.

Horrible from a Longmont perspective =/= horrible from a normal perspective. Sacky lives 5 minutes from work in small town USA.

It amuses me how people downplay how brutal 36 can be between Broadway and Colorado. That intersection sucks when you are cutting it close.

It amuses me that you live in Texas, yet feel like you can tell those of us who live in the area and travel these roads regularly how it is.

If avs is smart, he won't go in past baseline. Exit Table Mesa, or do what I do and take Baseline, cut over to the frontage road and park off Aurora. Walk 10 minutes to stadium.

Seeing as you live on 144th 5 minutes east of 287, your commute isn't all that relevant. Driving to Boulder M-F on a work commute from your location isn't the same thing as Game Day traffic from DIA.

gupu3ene.jpg

You don't have my location correct! I'm much closer to 1A.

There are a ton of lights. The traffic does not flow very quickly at all. This would be a horrible option. You'd be far, far, far better off taking the NW parkway and connecting up with US 36 in Broomfield. If you are really concerned with traffic on US 36, get off the NW parkway at US 287 and go north to South Boulder Road and take that into Boulder. SBR moves much faster than either Arapahoe or Baseline, IMO. Take it all the way to Broadway and come in to the campus from the South as opposed to the East.

:stupid:

It amuses me that you live in Texas, yet feel like you can tell those of us who live in the area and travel these roads regularly how it is.

If avs is smart, he won't go in past baseline. Exit Table Mesa, or do what I do and take Baseline, cut over to the frontage road and park off Aurora. Walk 10 minutes to stadium.

Not many local people have ever rented a car at DIA.
Not many local Buffs fans start their drive to Folsom from DIA.

You are THe MAN to help guide Avs from North Broomfield to Boulder, which is basically the last 40% of the drive miles. You got me there.

How many times HAVE you done the DIA to Folsom route on gameday, Dio? It's a simple question. Less than 5? 5-10? 10-25? More? Let's get the facts. Have you ever gone to Boulder through Brighton, and completely bypassed your home in Broomfield? If so, what were the circumstances?

For me, i've made that trip about three dozen times. Twice this season. And I've experimented with different routes before deciding I don't like 36 as much as 160th to Baseline to Arapaho. After renting a car for $90 per day and holding back $25 for campus parking, I understand the reluctance to shell out $25 more on toll roads. Between rental, toll, tax, parking, and gas for two days, it's easy to pay more than $300 just on ground transportation for a football weekend back and forth from DIA to Boulder.

Do you have a toll-tag? Maybe you can swing by DIA and pick up Avs. Jus save him a headache.

Nowhere in this thread have you recommended a toll free route for Avs to take from DIA to 36. Do you recommend Avs take Peña south down to I-70 and then double back on 270? You have been less than clear on this part of the drive.

Instead, you argue like a woman and say Tower has lights and traffic jams. Do you know what else has traffic jams? US 36 does, specially inside an hour before kickoff.

Right now 36 has concrete barriers on both shoulders all the way over the hill coming down into Boulder. From Westminster past Louisville, it is a construction zone.

Nothing on Tower on the weekend compares I70, where a bunch of cars are headed up to the mountains.

Any Buff fan who has come up 36 on Game Day is frustrated by the last two miles of driving, unless you elect to tailgate 2+ hours before kickoff, which is always the preferred choice.

On the weekend, when heading out of DIA's rental lots and jumping on I70, it's amature hour out there. I assure you that not many people turn North on Tower coming out of the rental lots on a Saturday.

If Avs does elect to come up from 36, then we do agree on the recommendation that he takes the Table Mesa or Foothills exits to avoid the stack up at Baseline. Parking off Aurora just east of 28th is a good call coming from either direction.

I imagine both of us agree that Avs should pony up the toll and hit E470. But it's always easier spending other people's money.

At this point, Avs has his options. He can take it from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toll road to 36, exiting Table Mesa and going north on Broadway to campus is fastest.

Next best, but risking more of the Denver game day commuters and 36 bottleneck spots, is south on Pena to 70 to 270 to 36 to Table Mesa exit.

Anything else, and you're just adding time to avoid traffic imho.

Toll road to 36, exiting Table Mesa and going north on Broadway to campus is fastest.

Next best, but risking more of the Denver game day commuters and 36 bottleneck spots, is south on Pena to 70 to 270 to 36 to Table Mesa exit.

Anything else, and you're just adding time to avoid traffic imho.

This choice fits the old adage pretty well.
Good, Fast, Cheap ... Pick two.

Route 1: E-470 - Good & Fast. Not cheap. Is it worth $25 premium to shave off 20 - 30 minutes and have little traffic for majority if the drive? Impact: don't need a beer as much, less money to buy one, more time to drink one.

route 2: Brighton 160th - Cheap & Good. Not fast. Is it worth 15 extra minutes on rural 2 lanes to avoid traffic jams and fees? Impact: no time to chug a beer. Don't need a beer to decompress.

Route 3: I-70 / 270 / 36 - Fast & Cheap. Not good in terms of heavy traffic, construction, and driving stress.
Impact: Need a shot & a beer to wind down from that jerk that risked his life to get one car ahead.

**** it. I'll pick up Avs at the airport. Can Avs get a ride later to a car rental place? Or I can drop him off back at the sirport.

**** it. I'll pick up Avs at the airport. Can Avs get a ride later to a car rental place? Or I can drop him off back at the sirport.

Ditch his butt in Boulder. He can find his way back home.

PS. A Business opportunity exists for rental car companies to set up shops on stations a few stops away from DIA on the soon-to-be launched light rail line. A place off of the DIA property would make a fortune bypassing all the tourist taxes and price fixing that takes place on the airport property.

Enterprise has a training center/facility on Arapahoe in Boulder. You can usually get a car pretty cheap. However, if you are renting in Boulder and dropping at DIA the price will go up $50 - $100.

Enterprise has a training center/facility on Arapahoe in Boulder. You can usually get a car pretty cheap. However, if you are renting in Boulder and dropping at DIA the price will go up $50 - $100.

There is an enterprise rent-a-car at chambers and 33rd. Has anyone used Uber to go to the airport? Maybe they figured a way around the Denver Mob's taxi monopoly at the airport. If Uber could drive you from that Enterprise location to the terminal for 10 bucks, it would be great.

finding a spot on aurora can be brutal. That's where I live and friends can't find a spot on a Thursday night let alone a Saturday.

Back