What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is the Big Ten now the most out of control conference?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Penn State
Michigan State
Maryland
Ohio State

These are major scandals in addition to the litany of run-of-the-mill scandals we've seen from B1G schools.

With money comes a ton of pressure. Has the conference culture turned into a next level of winning and protecting the brand at all costs? Has the B1G been corrupted away from being the conference with the highest academic and behavior standards? Sure seems to be the case.

We probably shouldn't be making SEC jokes so much as making Big Ten jokes.

It's amazing how much the SEC has cleaned itself up compared to the past even with the Ole Miss situation.

And yet the B1G wants to add North Carolina (with Virginia). I guess they are sick and tired of playing second fiddle to the SEC so why not join them like Tom Osborne joined Bill McCartney in recruiting bad boys which spawned Lawrence Phillips.

Penn State
Michigan State
Maryland
Ohio State

These are major scandals in addition to the litany of run-of-the-mill scandals we've seen from B1G schools.

With money comes a ton of pressure. Has the conference culture turned into a next level of winning and protecting the brand at all costs? Has the B1G been corrupted away from being the conference with the highest academic and behavior standards? Sure seems to be the case.

Illinois -Beck
Indiana - Wilson

And more. Audible listed 10-15 yesterday. Damning.

Well, I would need to know if we are talking legends, leaders or some number in excess of Ten.

Penn State
Michigan State
Maryland
Ohio State

This truly isn't a nitpick, but an honest question: what's the statute of limitations on us remembering these things? Because ultimately that determines what the dirtiest conference is. The PSU thing, though relatively recent, isn't really a current event. If you're tallying through history, the SEC is still king. At this exact moment, the B1G appears to be in worse shape.

Death to the Big Ten and the SEC. I'd love to watch both burn.
At least the Big Ten has credible academics. The SEC should reconsider just being a farm system for the NFL and (with the exception of Vandy) stop pretending they are serious about academics.

Yes, thank God the Pac doesn't have to deal with the pressure that comes with generating lots of money.

Penn State
Michigan State
Maryland
Ohio State

Penn State -- happened a lot long ago. for this to the first example listed in a response to a question of "is the Big Ten now the most...?" doesn't seem relevant.
Michigan State -- you're asking about the most out of control conference, in a football thread, and using gymnastics as a case-in-point? what happened there was horrible, but not a fair indication of their football program
Maryland -- I've asked in another thread, but I haven't seen anything reported yet that indicates the program is out of control. but I'm an old guy who grey up watching games coached by guys like Bo Schembechler, Lou Holtz, Bobby Night and Gary Williams, so I guess I expect more drill-sergeant-type-stuff than younger fans.
Ohio State -- domestic violence by a single coach, compounded by the HC's failure to report, is not much indication of an out-of-control program. tOSU's academics in sports are outstanding

What I see in the ACC (UNC academics, Miami boats & ho's, Louisville basketball recruiting) is more indicative of programs being out of control, IMO.

Penn State -- happened a lot long ago. for this to the first example listed in a response to a question of "is the Big Ten now the most...?" doesn't seem relevant.
Michigan State -- you're asking about the most out of control conference, in a football thread, and using gymnastics as a case-in-point? what happened there was horrible, but not a fair indication of their football program
Maryland -- I've asked in another thread, but I haven't seen anything reported yet that indicates the program is out of control. but I'm an old guy who grey up watching games coached by guys like Bo Schembechler, Lou Holtz, Bobby Night and Gary Williams, so I guess I expect more drill-sergeant-type-stuff than younger fans.
Ohio State -- domestic violence by a single coach, compounded by the HC's failure to report, is not much indication of an out-of-control program. tOSU's academics in sports are outstanding

What I see in the ACC (UNC academics, Miami boats & ho's, Louisville basketball recruiting) is more indicative of programs being out of control, IMO.
This is not about only football is it?

Can we add Maryland BB to list of conference transgressions?

This is not about only football is it?
the question was asked in the football forum, so kinda implied
Can we add Maryland BB to list of conference transgressions?
sure. I said in the post you quoted that I thought Louisville's hoops scandal was more indicative of an out-of-control program than the examples listed for the B1G. noting this opens a can of works involving a bunch of schools at a bunch of conferences though (quick perusal of the wiki page shows: Pac with 5, SEC with 5, ACC with 4, XII with 3, B1G with 2) and actually makes the B1G look a bit better.

At least the Big Ten has credible academics. The SEC should reconsider just being a farm system for the NFL and (with the exception of Vandy) stop pretending they are serious about academics.
Florida, Alabama, Georgia, A&M and Tennessee are all good to very good schools. The academic superiority complex everybody seems to have Vis a vis the SEC is unfounded. The SEC has found a way to combine solid academics with top notch athletics.

Florida, Alabama, Georgia, A&M and Tennessee are all good to very good schools. The academic superiority complex everybody seems to have Vis a vis the SEC is unfounded. The SEC has found a way to combine solid academics with top notch athletics.

I generally agree. I can't speak for the other schools, but I'm an A&M grad student and it's an excellent school. If you're an engineer, especially for oil/gas, it's probably the best school in the county to attend. It has a top 25 international affairs school in the world with the Bush School of Government and Public service. A&M has definitely opened up doors for jobs and internship that I couldn't have gotten at CU.

But man do I miss Boulder and CU. College Station is really boring unless it's Friday or Saturday. lol

I generally agree. I can't speak for the other schools, but I'm an A&M grad student and it's an excellent school. If you're an engineer, especially for oil/gas, it's probably the best school in the county to attend. It has a top 25 international affairs school in the world with the Bush School of Government and Public service. A&M has definitely opened up doors for jobs and internship that I couldn't have gotten at CU.

But man do I miss Boulder and CU. College Station is really boring unless it's Friday or Saturday. lol

I remember P.O.E.T.S being a pretty fun place to go when I visited.

US News Rankings:
Pac-12:
Stanford (5)
Cal (21)
UCLA (21)
USC (21)
Washington (56)
Colorado (90)

Big-10:
Northwestern (11)
Michigan (28)
Wisconsin (46)
Penn State (52)
Illinois (52)
Ohio State (54)
Purdue (56)
Maryland (61)
Rugers (69)
Minnesota (69)
Iowa (78)
Michigan State (81)
Indiana (90)

ACC:
Duke (9)
Virginia (25)
Wake Forest (27)
North Carolina (30)
Boston College (32)
Georgia Tech (34)
Miami (46)
Cuse (61)
Clemson (67)
Pitt (68)
Virginia Tech (69)
FSU (81)
NC State (81)
Clemson (67)
Pitt (68)

SEC:
Vandy (14)
Florida (42)
Gerogia (54)
TAMU (69)

The Pac-12 is a little top heavy but no the SEC is not even close to the same level.

Last edited:
Penn State
Michigan State
Maryland
Ohio State

The interesting thing about the scandals above is that, with the exception of Maryland, they weren't about winning. Penn State and Michigan State were just awful and atrocious cover-ups and Zach Smith wasn't a coach worth saving except for Urban's relationship with Earl Bruce, Smith's grandfather. It certainly makes it hard for them to say they are the conference with the highest behavior standards.

A lot of the SEC and other scandals are about winning football games. Prostitutes, academic fraud, paying players, etc is all about getting the best players on the field to win more games.

Stupid, why are there 15-20 thousand non-athletic students at each institution. The SEC has good academic and research schools. And I cannot believe that across the nation the baseline coursework required for an athletic "C's get degrees" major is significantly different. The exception of course would be North Carolina, as the athletes didn't need to even attend class.

There are many ways to rank universities. According to one website that was evaluating rankings methodology "If you’re looking for a university that has an enviable record of consistently producing high-quality research, try the Shanghai ranking." So here is how the Shanghai rankings turned out for the top 100 using the PCP indicator (definition below). I'll start with the academic powerhouse known as the SEC.

SEC
Vanderbilt - 50 (thank you to those correcting me. I overrated their academic standing).
Florida - 86

PAC 12
Stanford - 2
Cal Berkeley - 5
UCLA - 11
Washington - 14
CU - 38
USC - 60

Big 10 (or 12 or 14, whatever number they are up to now)
Northwestern - 25
Michigan - 27
Wisconsin - 28
Minn - 37
Illinois - 41
Maryland - 51
Purdue - 70
Penn State - 74
Ohio State - 94

Definition of Indicators

IndicatorDefinition
AlumniThe total number of the alumni of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals. Alumni are defined as those who obtain bachelor's, master's or doctoral degrees from the institution. Different weights are set according to the periods of obtaining degrees. The weight is 100% for alumni obtaining degrees in 2001-2010, 90% for alumni obtaining degrees in 1991-2000, 80% for alumni obtaining degrees in 1981-1990, and so on, and finally 10% for alumni obtaining degrees in 1911-1920. If a person obtains more than one degrees from an institution, the institution is considered once only.
AwardThe total number of the staff of an institution winning Nobel Prizes in Physics, Chemistry, Medicine and Economics and Fields Medal in Mathematics. Staff is defined as those who work at an institution at the time of winning the prize. Different weights are set according to the periods of winning the prizes. The weight is 100% for winners after 2011, 90% for winners in 2001-2010, 80% for winners in 1991-2000, 70% for winners in 1981-1990, and so on, and finally 10% for winners in 1921-1930. If a winner is affiliated with more than one institution, each institution is assigned the reciprocal of the number of institutions. For Nobel prizes, if a prize is shared by more than one person, weights are set for winners according to their proportion of the prize.
HiCi The number of Highly Cited Researchers selected by Clarivate Analytics. The Highly Cited Researchers list issued in 2017 (2017 HCR List as of December 15, 2017) was used for the calculation of HiCi indicator in ARWU 2018. Only the primary affiliations of Highly Cited Researchers are considered.
N&SThe number of papers published in Nature and Science between 2013 and 2017. To distinguish the order of author affiliation, a weight of 100% is assigned for corresponding author affiliation, 50% for first author affiliation (second author affiliation if the first author affiliation is the same as corresponding author affiliation), 25% for the next author affiliation, and 10% for other author affiliations. When there are more than one corresponding author addresses, we consider the first corresponding author address as the corresponding author address and consider other corresponding author addresses as first author address, second author address etc. following the order of the author addresses. Only publications of 'Article' type is considered.
PUBTotal number of papers indexed in Science Citation Index-Expanded and Social Science Citation Index in 2017. Only publications of 'Article' type is considered. When calculating the total number of papers of an institution, a special weight of two was introduced for papers indexed in Social Science Citation Index.
PCPThe weighted scores of the above five indicators divided by the number of full-time equivalent academic staff. If the number of academic staff for institutions of a country cannot be obtained, the weighted scores of the above five indicators is used. For ARWU 2018, the numbers of full-time equivalent academic staff are obtained for institutions in USA, UK, France, Canada, Japan, Italy, China, Australia, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, South Korea, Czech, Slovenia, New Zealand etc.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Back