What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

It took one week, but ESPN is at it again...

I know this won't happen, but when I look at what programs in our footprint actually have media value other than the current Pac-12 members -- it is BYU and Boise State. Those are the programs that ESPN is always selecting for broadcast.

Going to a Pac-14 that included them (BYU in the South / Boise State in the North) would actually make an impact.

I know this won't happen, but when I look at what programs in our footprint actually have media value other than the current Pac-12 members -- it is BYU and Boise State. Those are the programs that ESPN is always selecting for broadcast.

Going to a Pac-14 that included them (BYU in the South / Boise State in the North) would actually make an impact.

They both have their own standalone deals with ESPN-outside of what the MWC has with them in the case of Boise. I'd have no problem giving BYU a similar deal to the one the ACC has with Notre Dame-they're playing 2-4 Pac 12 teams a year anyway.....and I'd have no problem if we scheduled them. We could get two games at Folsom for one trip to Provo (Arizona got a home game with them for two neutral site contests) As a league, I think we need to get creative and get our games on twitter, Amazon prime, or even facebook (P12N would produce these and obviously air them on the relevant regional networks). Opportunities like the one we have Saturday are big for the league-not just us.

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2018/9/2/17812764/arizona-byu-football-guaranteed-payout-600000

Last edited:
This is a non-story to me. The SEC is the money maker for ESPN and they will do everything within their power to promote those games and teams.

espn was openly gushing about sec all weekend..... let me know if even half the kids could get into wisco,mich or cu for that matter....its not apples to apples

Why are these barbs such as what Jones did acceptable by writers but not broadcasters? (Topic on Audible today)

Perception of bias during the game. Frankly, ESPN dropped the ball by not moving him/Rod Gilmore/Quint Kessenich off the Pac 12 altogether after the cupcake stunt last year (which I thought was inappropriate). They continued to do Pac 12 games, and also did another UW game last year. If I had been Larry Scott, I'd have called up ESPN and ripped them for that. Stuff like that and even Fowler's tweet is basically them making fun of an investment their employer has made-Given these guys bring these games to the country for a living, that can't be happening. At the end of the day, two things-our teams have to win games like the one we have on Saturday. Yes, Nebraska sucks, but we're on ABC right in the middle of the day. Two, we've gotta find TV partners outside of what we already have. Talk to Turner. Work out something with a social media platform that will allow streaming of Pac 12 college basketball/football there.

Are you saying that by taking those two schools into the P12 we would automatically get more games on TV (ESPN)? Or are you saying that by adding them ESPN would be left with no choice but to step up to the table and pay and broadcast more P12 games? Or would ESecPN just put an SEC game in their place?

Are you saying that by taking those two schools into the P12 we would automatically get more games on TV (ESPN)? Or are you saying that by adding them ESPN would be left with no choice but to step up to the table and pay and broadcast more P12 games? Or would ESecPN just put an SEC game in their place?
I'm saying only that the 2 programs in the west that seem to have value to national networks and are not currently in the P12 are BYU and Boise State. So that leads me to believe that in terms of adding valuable game volume inventory, it would seem that those are the only 2 programs worth targeting (short of the Big 12 breaking up and being able to pull from there).

It would take a monumental shift from the P12 leadership to consider either of those schools, though. But based purely on their athletic departments, facilities and national reputations they are easily the most valuable non-P12 schools in the west. They would not dilute the quality of the conference athletically or the national appeal of the conference's inventory, only deepen those things.

Nice, Chris.
Not sure what Fowler is talking about on that one. I live in NC, have Spectrum cable, and we get PAC12 network. Any college football fan knows what it is, that is just a dumb comment to make. Plenty of cable platforms have Pac12 network, just directtv doesn't. It's like saying "what is an SUV" or "what is a van"? Just a dumb, self serving statement from someone who I guess is a company man now.

Bottom line is Pac12 teams need to win more big games, and force their way into the conversation. ESPN has manipulated the SEC and the Big14 into the "best" conference to serve their own financial interests. But the teams at the top of those conferences are also winning big games to perpetuate the best conference argument. Gotta win the head to head matchups, need a few teams (UW, Stanford, USC and CU hopefully) to rise up and be the consistent winners in conference, and can only have 1 or 2 "bad" teams. Win enough games and the rest will work itself out.

If I were ESPN I’d be pissed at these guys dissing teams that are in their network. Great way to get people not to watch...downplay the competitiveness of the league.

Probably the weakest article I've ever read from Wilner. Want coverage and respect? Win more games!

Not sure what Fowler is talking about on that one. I live in NC, have Spectrum cable, and we get PAC12 network. Any college football fan knows what it is, that is just a dumb comment to make. Plenty of cable platforms have Pac12 network, just directtv doesn't. It's like saying "what is an SUV" or "what is a van"? Just a dumb, self serving statement from someone who I guess is a company man now.

Bottom line is Pac12 teams need to win more big games, and force their way into the conversation. ESPN has manipulated the SEC and the Big14 into the "best" conference to serve their own financial interests. But the teams at the top of those conferences are also winning big games to perpetuate the best conference argument. Gotta win the head to head matchups, need a few teams (UW, Stanford, USC and CU hopefully) to rise up and be the consistent winners in conference, and can only have 1 or 2 "bad" teams. Win enough games and the rest will work itself out.

It wasn't a dumb comment at all. Most of the college fans I talk to are either only vaguely familiar with the P12N if they're familiar with it at all, and most if not all bars have DTV which of course means no P12 Network.

looking only at football, not academics, existing contract, etc....here's some thoughts I"ve always had.

1) of all schools, why isn't Hawaii in the Pac? They are surrounded by the Pacific ocean
2) BYU in the PAC makes sense as they are Utah's real rival, not CU
3) Boise has the talent for a PAC run, but who would their rival be?
4) I'd like to get Nebraska in the PAC so we have our natural rivalry back
5) CSU would get rolled there, but it would make the Rocky Mt Showdown an atual rivalry if it happened

Plus - haven't I already seen about 1,000 commercials of Fowler promoting the Dish Tailgater? I have it and get all the Pac games.

Back