What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Italy hoops schedule

I love Siewart, but his D is atrocious. He's going to have to be leaps and bounds better this year just to be "bad". Honestly, I'm hoping that by his junior year he can be ok enough on D that we can start him. Until then, I'm fine with him coming off of the bench.

But man, I have no idea who to start at the 5. That's a scary lineup right now.

I purposefully left Battey out since we haven't been able to see him in action yet and he's still working down to game weight. He strikes me as the guy that will exude positivity, get better every year, then be a unique type of monster as an upperclassmen.

Dom is so streaky and can get banged up easily. My gut says that Deleon is an upgrade from him on defense and attacking the rim, with them both being equal threats from the outside. Deleon certainly flashed last year and earned a starting spot when other guys were boneheads.

I know a box score doesn't tell the whole story, but Siewert snagging four steals in this game means he's at least learned to be disruptive. Hopefully his 1:1 D has improved because his stroke is looking good.

Lastly, some are understandably cautious on Namon, but he's looking like a less PG oriented Carlon Brown...and we have him for two years (y)

Scary good or scary bad?

This team lacks inside presence, rebounding and is a poor from the charity stripe. I think the freshman will earn starting positions along side of King as the season progresses. I am hoping Walton can emerge as a defensive post player, with solid rebounds and some low post moves. If he develops, along with the rest of the freshman as Tad as eluded to, those freshman will make some serious noise by next season thru graduation.

I'm on one today, but the fact that we aren't even talking about D'Shawn very much (the most offensively polished freshman), is wild.

Being rather harsh, I think. In spite of his falling short of our hopes, he still is a legit rotational player in the backcourt.

Not singling you out, but one of my bigger pet peeves is how so hyped up fans can get for HS players, expecting guys to be stars just because they were four stars by some recruiting services. There are tons of five and four stars that don't pan out...as discussed ad nauseaum in the football recruiting threads. Since CU doesn't get a ton of these players, when we do, the expectations are through the roof. As for biggest bust in CU history - Jose Winston would be bigger imo. Jamahl Mosely also didn't really star, but did his job just fine. I think Dom is like Jamahl - not great, but has done okay...just not living up to the hype. I admit I hoped for a lot more...but I reserve criticizing him due to overall perspective.

Good post

If Dom had been a mid-3* across the board and a late pick-up out of California or Texas would fans be calling him a bust? I don't think so. He would be looked at as a role player with some strengths and some clear limitations who contributes but isn't a star.

I believe the highest ceiling lineup would be:

McKinley
Schwartz
King
Bey
DW

But I know it's not realistic to start 3 freshmen. Who starts and who doesn't is as irrelevant as it's ever been. There's going to be a ton of experimentation. Mckinley & King seem like the only 2 guys who are locked in.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Schwartz. For the record, I think he's going to be a complete stud by the time he's done here, and everything I've heard about him is that he has the most complete game of all of the frosh. So I don't want it to appear I'm down on him. But I think he also has the hardest "leap" from HS to P12 play of all of them. And early reports are that he tends to be thinking a bit more instead of reacting. I think once the game slows down for him a bit, he'll be ready to go. But that makes me think that he may be a guy who has a not-as-extreme version of what King did between his freshman and sophomore years. He'll have an up and down frosh year followed by a good sophomore season.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Schwartz. For the record, I think he's going to be a complete stud by the time he's done here, and everything I've heard about him is that he has the most complete game of all of the frosh. So I don't want it to appear I'm down on him. But I think he also has the hardest "leap" from HS to P12 play of all of them. And early reports are that he tends to be thinking a bit more instead of reacting. I think once the game slows down for him a bit, he'll be ready to go. But that makes me think that he may be a guy who has a not-as-extreme version of what King did between his freshman and sophomore years. He'll have an up and down frosh year followed by a good sophomore season.
I was thinking kind of like Spencer with being a cerebral guy on the court. Spencer looked rough out there as a freshman for most of the season. Some games when it was making sense and he was in a rhythm (and this got better as the year went on), but sophomore Spencer was night & day better than freshman Spencer. His freshman year, I heard a lot of "why is this kid starting?" and "what's all the hype about?" and "I don't see it" especially during the non-conference part of the schedule. That's kind of what I'm expecting with Schwartz. Then, the question is going to be how much work he puts in. Spencer was a maniac after his freshman year getting ready for his sophomore season. Transformed his body.

Give him time, he will be fine.
Not all hit ground running. He will find what works but it wont be smooth.
Everyone wants the Buffs to do well, but beware the excessive expectations and hyperbole.
This is a learning year which will build the foundation for the next 3.

I was thinking kind of like Spencer with being a cerebral guy on the court. Spencer looked rough out there as a freshman for most of the season. Some games when it was making sense and he was in a rhythm (and this got better as the year went on), but sophomore Spencer was night & day better than freshman Spencer. His freshman year, I heard a lot of "why is this kid starting?" and "what's all the hype about?" and "I don't see it" especially during the non-conference part of the schedule. That's kind of what I'm expecting with Schwartz. Then, the question is going to be how much work he puts in. Spencer was a maniac after his freshman year getting ready for his sophomore season. Transformed his body.

Freshman year I think is a good comparison of the two (although I have a hard time seeing Schwartz starting). But man, I have a hard time seeing Schwartz matching Spencer's sophomore year. If he does though.... woo....

Lost today.

Box score is more proof that we've got King, Wright Bros and Bey as our core four. Need to figure out the 5th guy and who can be consistently productive from the bench.

FG% of 32% and FT% of 59% isn't good in a close game (really any game). Looks like the other team may have also taken their foot off the gas based upon Q3 and Q4 numbers and how deep they went on their bench. This experience hopefully helped with team bonding and the games are going to really help the coaches and players prepare for the season.

Definitely looks like the other team took their foot off the gas and that CU couldn't defend at all. I mean three of their players went 4-4 (2 for 2 on 3's), 5-7 (1 of 3 on 3's) and 7-10 (3 of 6 on 3's)?? Those three guys shot 76% from the floor. Many teams don't do that in warm ups. Team is going to have a very unhappy Tad for a long ride home.

Lost the last game of long exhibition road trip. Team was older and played like it. Lost a game. Learn from it. Overall great experience. Played 4 games and building a foundation

- McKinley got that rapper pose down
- Siewert looks like some random local italian dude just photobombing bc he's tall
- D'shawn with the fanny pack ooohh mmah gawwd
- The new walk on kid's glamour muscles seem too big for his body. Is it too late to give him a football scholarship?

Serbian guard Lazar Nikolic finally received his NCAA clearance and arrived in Boulder over the weekend. He has started classes one week late but otherwise is free of administrative red tape heading toward the preseason.

Back