What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

It's Time for the Triple

zachalpastor

This program has no identity. There's nothing they do particularly well. They're not gonna out recruiting anyone in the next ten or twenty years. You've got to have something unique. Something you do well that makes you difficult to play against. Right now they've got nothing. After the way that team laid down in the opener it's clear...it's time to go back to the triple option.

Sure, there might be a limit to the success you can experience with the triple, but it also raises the floor. CU would be the only team in the conference running the triple. The Buffs would be a pain in everyone's ass, even if they got beat. No one sees the Buffs on the schedule right now and thinks of anything other than a week off.

Some might point to the current situation at Georgia Tech. Transitioning out of the option can be a painful experience, but currently it seems that the buffs are transitioning out of Power 5 football and that's pretty painful. (Let me remind you that with the triple Tech won the conference and played in two orange bowls.) It's the quickest way to relevancy and regular bowl games for this program. It's time. Pick up the red phone and call Ken Niumatalolo. (or Jamie Chadwell or Troy Calhoun)

This program has no identity. There's nothing they do particularly well. They're not gonna out recruiting anyone in the next ten or twenty years. You've got to have something unique. Something you do well that makes you difficult to play against. Right now they've got nothing. After the way that team laid down in the opener it's clear...it's time to go back to the triple option.

Sure, there might be a limit to the success you can experience with the triple, but it also raises the floor. CU would be the only team in the conference running the triple. The Buffs would be a pain in everyone's ass, even if they got beat. No one sees the Buffs on the schedule right now and thinks of anything other than a week off.

Some might point to the current situation at Georgia Tech. Transitioning out of the option can be a painful experience, but currently it seems that the buffs are transitioning out of Power 5 football and that's pretty painful. (Let me remind you that with the triple Tech won the conference and played in two orange bowls.) It's the quickest way to relevancy and regular bowl games for this program. It's time. Pick up the red phone and call Ken Niumatalolo. (or Jamie Chadwell or Troy Calhoun)
lulz.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Does anyone think we’ll begin to see some schools dust off the triple option with the rise in NIL?

AFAIK the biggest reason schools avoid the triple option is that you can’t recruit kids with it. Once there are a lot of schools shut out of even mid 3* recruiting battles due to money, will they turn to schemes like triple option to minimize their need for relying on talent and raising funds for NIL?

Not saying we need to go this direction as I don’t have a strong opinion, but I wonder if some schools will start moving back to those styles of coaches like Calhoun and systems that reduce the NIL impact

Last edited:
Service Academy Triple? Hell no

Coastal Carolina triple? Hell yeah
Important distinction. If we're talking a modern option running game, that's one thing. If we're talking CU's 1990 offense or similar then I'm completely opposed.

Probably the best offense around is what Briles does. Art basically mashed together the old school veer with run n shoot. I'd hire Kendal (current Arkansas OC).

if we are going out of the box, just hire leach and go straight to the air raid. forgot about his questionable former behavior, he'd go over GREAT in boulder.

plus, everyone loves pirates.

does the triple option solve for a ****ty defense too?
It really does. Full disclosure: I've lived in Boulder for 12 years, but I went to Clemson. It was maddening to play Georgia Tech, because they dominated the time of possession. It felt like you hardly got to play offense. The defense plays substantially less plays when paired with an option scheme.

They went to two orange bowls running it where they won 11 games and had several more 9 win seasons. Compared to where we've been the last 15 years? I would certainly take it.
They were ready to fire him and were getting crushed by talented teams. That's the ceiling with the guru of option football at the helm. Then, because the roster was built specifically for that style, it was a complete rebuild to switch.

There are systems which give you dynamic, run heavy football with a lot of option plays but don't have the limitations of Triple-O or Flexbone. I'm not opposed to those at all.

I love what Briles does at Arkansas. I love what Lewis does at Kent State.

does the triple option solve for a ****ty defense too?

If the offense doesn't turn the football over. I followed Georgia Southern for a few years until they hired Clay Helton as their coach and their defense wasn't that great but that triple option offense kept that defense off the field.

Welcome and I'm a big fan of option football myself. CU won the 1990 National Championship with the option and then used that success to upgrade to a modern offense over time. Like I said earlier, I did watch GATA until they switched offenses and been following Coastal Carolina.

Could CU make the switch to the triple option? Possibly but I don't think we have enough option type of QBs on the roster to make that happen this season. With the transfer rules, that is something CU should check into. We also have too many OL over 6'5" and would need to get more shorter OL players.

Important distinction. If we're talking a modern option running game, that's one thing. If we're talking CU's 1990 offense or similar then I'm completely opposed.

Probably the best offense around is what Briles does. Art basically mashed together the old school veer with run n shoot. I'd hire Kendal (current Arkansas OC).

It helps that Arky has a bruising type of running QB who can throw the football down the field. We sort of had that with Sefo and Montez but really Sefo and Lindsay specifically.

There really isn't much difference between running the triple option out of the flexbone and the shotgun/pistol. You still have to read the edge before handing it off or running before either keeping the football or pitching it to another player. It's just the difference between having one extra RB in the formation and one extra receiver in the shotgun/pistol offense. OL tend to be several inches shorter in most cases as well and needs to be able to move as well which I don't see enough of with the current CU roster.

But the OP is correct that CU doesn't have an identity on offense and that has bugged me for a long time.

In the past, when someone would inevitably bring up switching to a gimmick offense after some early season struggles, I would be wholeheartedly against it, because of the "ceiling" issues that have been mentioned with others, notably GT.

However, now that CU is absolute dog**** (again), shows no political will to dig themselves out of this hole, and seems ill-equipped to compete in the new NIL landscape, I don't hate the idea. **** it. Who gives a ****? It can't possibly get worse. Let's get weird. Go hire that Brennan Marion dude or the Coastal Carolina guy as as OC and LFG. Hire the Wake Forest OC as HC. I don't care anymore. Just give me something fun to watch and a puncher's chance. I'm not greedy.

I don't think it really matters what you run. What does, is you better damn well have the guys that can run it.

Triple what? Firing of anyone being responsible for the state of CU football ... so Dorrell, George and di Stefano?

Back