What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jay Johnson

I thought Johnson did a great job of keeping Utah's defense off balance in the 1st half. Players didn't execute what was there and opportunities were missed.

However, let's please keep in mind that Utah's defensive 11 is much better than Colorado's offensive 11 this season. Sometimes you're simply overmatched and need just about everything to go right in order to look good.

I thought Johnson did a great job of keeping Utah's defense off balance in the 1st half. Players didn't execute what was there and opportunities were missed.

However, let's please keep in mind that Utah's defensive 11 is much better than Colorado's offensive 11 this season. Sometimes you're simply overmatched and need just about everything to go right in order to look good.
The rest of the PAC12 that played in Rice-Eccles struggled more than CU. What we saw was what Utah did to every visiting offense.

This is an unpopular opinion to many ABers, but I think our offensive scheme and design was one of the best we’ve had in a long time. Multiple looks, commitment to the run, and well designed plays to get players open. There were stretches where the play calling was suspect (ala throwing the ball deep over and over while having the lead in the 4th), but we didn’t see those types of things become trends which tells me they are learning and adapting.

Best coached CU team we’ve had since Barnett overall. No concerns from me bringing them all back.

I'm gonna give Mel the benefit of the doubt on coaching changes but I'm fine with everybody coming back.

I don't think you want a revolving door of assistants. This year the staff was focused on changing the culture and finding out what they have as a team. You could see that develop on the defense over the course of the season. The defense you saw at the end of the season was much different then at the beginning of the season. The Offense was focused on making fewer mistakes which I believe they made progress towards.

Tucker can decide if he wants to make changes but I am fine if they bring the entire staff back. I think their are a lot of pluses with doing that.

He did a good job... On two drives the entire game (one in the first half, one in the second half - both were aided by Utah penalties). The rest was a mixture of throwing sideways, only one pass over the middle all game (despite the middle of the field being open) and most importantly, not utilizing the best weapon on the field (LaViska).

It makes sense that Minnesota became a solid football program only after Johnson was fired. It makes sense, the only position he could get after Minnesota was a quality control analyst. It makes sense he was a QB analyst at Kansas, only to get demoted to RB coach, only to get demoted to Special Teams coach, only to get fired and unable to land a job in 2002. It makes sense the only job he could land was as a TE coach at Southern Miss and he was fired from that position after three years. It makes sense that in 25 years of coaching at the collegiate level, he has never lasted more than 2 years as an OC except at UL-Lafayette - definitely not a school where he saw any talent close to PAC12 talent, where he has shown no ability to teach and mentor highly skilled players. Mel Tucker has the beginning of great things developing at CU - Jay Johnson is not one of those things!

He did a good job... On two drives the entire game (one in the first half, one in the second half - both were aided by Utah penalties). The rest was a mixture of throwing sideways, only one pass over the middle all game (despite the middle of the field being open) and most importantly, not utilizing the best weapon on the field (LaViska).

It makes sense that Minnesota became a solid football program only after Johnson was fired. It makes sense, the only position he could get after Minnesota was a quality control analyst. It makes sense he was a QB analyst at Kansas, only to get demoted to RB coach, only to get demoted to Special Teams coach, only to get fired and unable to land a job in 2002. It makes sense the only job he could land was as a TE coach at Southern Miss and he was fired from that position after three years. It makes sense that in 25 years of coaching at the collegiate level, he has never lasted more than 2 years as an OC except at UL-Lafayette - definitely not a school where he saw any talent close to PAC12 talent, where he has shown no ability to teach and mentor highly skilled players. Mel Tucker has the beginning of great things developing at CU - Jay Johnson is not one of those things!
Ultimately, Johnson's job performance will be judged and his future employment determined by how well he develops Brendon Lewis.

His scheme is exactly what Tucker wants for his program.

I think it is absolutely fair. It speaks to his inability to hold a job, a job that he currently has the role of at CU and a team loaded with senior players at skilled positions regressed in the one year at CU. Taking a look at his history is relevant and verifies his lack of ability as an Offensive Coordinator.

I think it is absolutely fair. It speaks to his inability to hold a job, a job that he currently has the role of at CU and a team loaded with senior players at skilled positions regressed in the one year at CU. Taking a look at his history is relevant and verifies his lack of ability as an Offensive Coordinator.

2002 is not relevant.

You also have a few things twisted. Minnesota was 9-4 the one year he was there, so it was not like they instantly became good the moment he left.

He is certainly not invincible, but I couldn't care less he got fired from various jobs. Happens to just about every coach at this level.

Ultimately, Johnson's job performance will be judged and his future employment determined by how well he develops Brendon Lewis.

His scheme is exactly what Tucker wants for his program.
Do you think Johnson will be around after next season if the team Defense continues to improve but the win total does not? His offense can't even put up 20 pts with skilled Seniors on the roster and one of the best players to wear a CU uniform on offense in a couple decades. Thinking he will improve with freshman is an interesting take. I agree MT wants a certain style. I don't think for a second that Johnson is capable of delivering what MT has in mind.

2002 is not relevant.

You also have a few things twisted. Minnesota was 9-4 the one year he was there, so it was not like they instantly became good the moment he left.

He is certainly not invincible, but I couldn't care less he got fired from various jobs. Happens to just about every coach at this level.
True, coaches have a short life span. However, his is exceptionally short, everywhere he has been. That does say something.

:rolleyes:

Turns out all that matters at QB is experience. RECORD SETTING SENIOR QB!
LOL - That was funny. It's not just the QB, the entire offense regressed, significantly under Johnson, with mature players. The offense was far more mature than on the defensive side of the ball, yet Johnson routinely made terrible calls which did not utilize the offensive players skills. I bet there were more than 50 plays called when the the offense was in 3rd down situations and he called throws to players who would catch the ball far short of the first down line. That is one example of relying on hope and a prayer - the guy doesn't get it.

Do you think Johnson will be around after next season if the team Defense continues to improve but the win total does not? His offense can't even put up 20 pts with skilled Seniors on the roster and one of the best players to wear a CU uniform on offense in a couple decades. Thinking he will improve with freshman is an interesting take. I agree MT wants a certain style. I don't think for a second that Johnson is capable of delivering what MT has in mind.
What we had on offense was an average to a little below average P5 OL, an average to below average RB group, an average to below average TE group, an average to below average QB, and an elite but constantly injured WR amidst an average to above average WR group.

And I'm being kind with that assessment.

I do believe they could be equal to the 2019 offense in 2020 based on some players growing up along with a 2nd offseason with the new S&C program. Could be better in the red zone and also benefit from field position improvements/ situational needs based on the defense making a major step forward.

LOL - That was funny. It's not just the QB, the entire offense regressed, significantly under Johnson, with mature players. The offense was far more mature than on the defensive side of the ball, yet Johnson routinely made terrible calls which did not utilize the offensive players skills. I bet there were more than 50 plays called when the the offense was in 3rd down situations and he called throws to players who would catch the ball far short of the first down line. That is one example of relying on hope and a prayer - the guy doesn't get it.

The QB was a big part of the problems this year. Period.

Mature? Not how I would describe our QB situation

Did you watch the 2019 offense? It did nothing but go sideways and was completely ineffective the last half of the season once game plans adjusted. Montez cannot read post-snap progressions and our receivers outside of the primary read for the play call run routes like they know they wouldn't be getting the ball no matter how open they were.

I do believe they could be equal to the 2019 offense in 2020 based on some players growing up along with a 2nd offseason with the new S&C program. Could be better in the red zone and also benefit from field position improvements/ situational needs based on the defense making a major step forward.
Yikes! I hope 2020 would bring better results than 99th out of 130 which is where this years team finished. Yes there are talent gaps but there was far more talent than 99th out of 130 and I attribute that to Johnson.

Yikes! I hope 2020 would bring better results than 99th out of 130 which is where this years team finished. Yes there are talent gaps but there was far more talent than 99th out of 130 and I attribute that to Johnson.
The QB was Steven Montez. If we had a competent QB, you’d be right that we should’ve been better on offense. Since he was the QB, we got to live with his faults.

Did you watch the 2019 offense? It did nothing but go sideways and was completely ineffective the last half of the season once game plans adjusted. Montez cannot read post-snap progressions and our receivers outside of the primary read for the play call run routes like they know they wouldn't be getting the ball no matter how open they were.
You made my point. Johnson called those sideways plays and couldn't coach a P5 level QB. Montez was better last year than this year. You can blame the QB, and he absolutely deserves a lot, however, a skilled OC and QB coach should be able to mentor a player, see him develop and improve, not regress. Johnson did not do his job or make good play calls (minus a drive or two a game, which simply isn't good enough).

What we had on offense was an average to a little below average P5 OL, an average to below average RB group, an average to below average TE group, an average to below average QB, and an elite but constantly injured WR amidst an average to above average WR group.

And I'm being kind with that assessment.

harsh, but fair grades. i do give credit for the improvement of the o-line from ****ing abysmal to sometimes average. fontenot surprised me-- good feet, ability to break a tackle, ran hard. he wasn't a home run hitter for sure. TEs are still a work in progress but did any of us really see brady russell doing as well as he did? qb, we definitely took a step back this year and that's one thing i had really hoped wouldn't happen. i'd say we had one all world wideout. by comparison, usc had like 4 guys who approach that level of good. as a group, they didn't make a big jump forward but they didn't go backwards either.

we have stuff to work with to get to an average team, making the weed wacker bowl. recruiting is the only way to get us another level above that.

The QB was Steven Montez. If we had a competent QB, you’d be right that we should’ve been better on offense. Since he was the QB, we got to live with his faults.
I get it, trust me I do on Montez. But the play calling and lack of development is on the OC and QB coach. I don't see anything from Johnson that would improve this program offensively. Other than Johnson, I am excited about the future of this program.

You made my point. Johnson called those sideways plays and couldn't coach a P5 level QB. Montez was better last year than this year. You can blame the QB, and he absolutely deserves a lot, however, a skilled OC and QB coach should be able to mentor a player, see him develop and improve, not regress. Johnson did not do his job or make good play calls (minus a drive or two a game, which simply isn't good enough).

The numbers say differently. Montez was bad the second half of last season and bad this season. His skillset has been vastly overrated.

I blame Montez. Lack of leadership, accuracy, pocket presence, audible calls or finding the open receivers is hard to overcome. Montez made plays at times but the complete lack of consistency or reliability or trust that he’d be able to step up in the key moments to drive things or get things re-grouped has been the difference between 5-7 versus bowling for the last 3 seasons. Sefo’s limitations in 2015 were also why we didn’t bowl in 2015.

I’m hopeful that being a run-first offense in 2020 will translate to winning football as the OL, TB and TE positions develop.

Amazing that 3 different OCs couldn’t accomplish what you wanted with Montez. Lindgren doesn’t look so bad now, does he?

Judging by this thread, no, you do not really "get it" on Montez.
SO it was Montez who called sideways passes all season and Montez who called for 3 yard dinks to the sideline repeatedly on 3rd down and long all season? An OC has to understand the abilities (or lack thereof) of his players, particularly the QB. Montez doesn't read thru progressions and throws the ball behind or short to WR's on the sidelines. Then coach him thru progressions and definitely stop throwing sideline to sideline. If you have calls consistently being called that don't emphasize a players attributes, then who is the blame, the QB? Slants across the middle were available but the WR's plays rarely had them going across the middle - which allowed the LB's to blitz or assist in coverage on the edge. Do you get that Johnson's offense ranked 99th in the country and are you okay with that?

SO it was Montez who called sideways passes all season and Montez who called for 3 yard dinks to the sideline repeatedly on 3rd down and long all season? An OC has to understand the abilities (or lack thereof) of his players, particularly the QB. Montez doesn't read thru progressions and throws the ball behind or short to WR's on the sidelines. Then coach him thru progressions and definitely stop throwing sideline to sideline. If you have calls consistently being called that don't emphasize a players attributes, then who is the blame, the QB? Slants across the middle were available but the WR's plays rarely had them going across the middle - which allowed the LB's to blitz or assist in coverage on the edge. Do you get that Johnson's offense ranked 99th in the country and are you okay with that?

What are the strengths of Montez? There are not many which is the whole damn point. He is just not very good, but you think it is ALL on JJ. So yeah, you do not get it.

Back