What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jerdough and other stuff

It is a failure of the Regents. They have the responsibility of overseeing the university. It is a failure of the President, who has responsibility for setting the vision of the University system and pushing forward. It is a failure of the Chancellor who has direct management of all the campus level department heads and sets the tone for working agreements between admissions and athletics. It is a failure of the AD for not clearly setting expectations and providing the resources necessary to compete. It is a failure of the head coach for not implementing a vision and setting specific objectives for recruiting and on field success. It is a failure of the coordinators for not implementing and adjusting their schemes for success with the talent we have and the opponents we face. It is a failure of the assistants for not preparing the athletes they have and recruiting better talent.

I will never blame the players.

Bottom line, if you want success on the field you need a BoR that recognizes the importance of marketing the university through success on the field and the court and have them hire people and set policy that can make that happen.

One common thread among those who become or stay very wealthy is a focus on success, on results. What about CU Boulder, athletically or otherwise currently screams anything more than mediocre. If someone is going to write a seven figure check what are they going to see as a result? What can they brag to their wealthy friends about contributing to over a drink in the lounge.

WHO is the actual person or entity responsible for holding back our football team?

These two are related.

I lay the blame squarely at the foot of Phil Distefano.

He's the common thread between the complete collapse of Colorado football, and what I perceive to be the inability of the university as a whole to keep pace with peers. Phil was appointed chancellor in May 2009, and supposedly prevented Bohn from firing Hawkins at the end of that season. Phil was also involved in the Butch Jones fiasco and the subsequent hiring of Embree. I personally question (without any evidence) how much Phil had to do with handicapping RG in terms of trying to fulfil promises to Tucker about admissions, etc. and how much he had to do with KD getting hired. I would not be surprised to learn he was heavily involved in both.

I personally think RG is tired of pushing against Phil, and Phil has failed to communicate any vision to donors (athletic or otherwise) that inspires investment.

These two are related.

He's the common thread between the complete collapse of Colorado football, and what I perceive to be the inability of the university as a whole to keep pace with peers. Phil was appointed chancellor in May 2009, and supposedly prevented Bohn from firing Hawkins at the end of that season. Phil was also involved in the Butch Jones fiasco and the subsequent hiring of Embree. I personally question (without any evidence) how much Phil had to do with handicapping RG in terms of trying to fulfil promises to Tucker about admissions, etc. and how much he had to do with KD getting hired. I would not be surprised to learn he was heavily involved in both.

I personally think RG is tired of pushing against Phil, and Phil has failed to communicate any vision to donors (athletic or otherwise) that inspires investment.
It all keeps coming back to one dude.

These two are related.

I will continue to ask what aspect of the university has gotten better under Phil.

It isn't just athletics that has declined. In what way is the University better because Phil has been Chancellor?

I wouldn't mind football falling if they could say "Yes but look at X" There is no X to look at.

Yeah, hoops success is looking more and more like an incredibly fortunate series of events that has very little to do with support from admin. We have Tad Boyle who is awesome and not making any waves. Even he couldn’t get in a transfer recruit earlier this year. He succeeds in spite of the school, not because of it.

The big money makers like track & field, cross country, and skiing.
Our last PAC 12 Championship in any sport was Womens XC in 2018. Before that, it was Skiing in 2015 and Mens XC in 2014. I don't doubt that those sports do well, even if they aren't winning P12 Championships, but they seem to be more in the "good, not great" category at this point, along with MBB. The entire institution, academic and athletic, has devolved into mediocrity over the last decade.

Our last PAC 12 Championship in any sport was Womens XC in 2018. Before that, it was Skiing in 2015 and Mens XC in 2014. I don't doubt that those sports do well, even if they aren't winning P12 Championships, but they seem to be more in the "good, not great" category at this point, along with MBB. The entire institution, academic and athletic, has devolved into mediocrity over the last decade.
Uh... dude?

EDIT: from the article:

This is the eighth Pac-12 team title for the third-rated CU men as they defeated No. 4 Stanford, 39-52. They previously won six straight titles (2011-2016) and then the 2019 championship.
The No. 4 CU women have now won five championships in the Pac-12 as they defeated No. 8 Utah, 24-52. Before today, they won titles in 2011 and then three straight from 2015-17.

Uh... dude?

EDIT: from the article:
Ahhhh ****, I was looking at "Pac 12 NCAA Champions" on the website and thought it was just Pac 12 Champions. Whoops

If you view results solely through a W/L perspective, it's entirely possible to make the case that $160M has been spent and the results have gotten worse.

From an overall perspective of the AD and University I'm sure it has been a huge positive. Seriously, its a great facility.

From a football fan perspective its been a huge disappointment, and the powers that be have made it quite clear they don't give a ****.

So then it begs the question: Why should we? Going to games and watching your team get their asses kicked and listening to the visiting fans celebrate over and over and over again isn't a great selling point.

I hope PD, RG, and Saliman all enjoy themselves in their comfy seats in the east side suites when the fuskers fill Folsom more than they did in '19.

The problem is that Rick George IS A BUFF4LIFER. You're expecting someone from inside the club to tell the club to kick rocks here. Not happening.
You don't think I know that? I want him gone. He hired Tucker and botched MT's buyout. Replaced that with this ****show of a staff.

Enough. Time for Rick to go.
From an overall perspective of the AD and University I'm sure it has been a huge positive. Seriously, its a great facility.

From a football fan perspective its been a huge disappointment, and the powers that be have made it quite clear they don't give a ****.

So then it begs the question: Why should we? Going to games and watching your team get their asses kicked and listening to the visiting fans celebrate over and over and over again isn't a great selling point.

I hope PD, RG, and Saliman all enjoy themselves in their comfy seats in the east side suites when the fuskers fill Folsom more than they did in '19.
But Jerdough says we have to support the team! I said this last year and I'm going to say it again. If you want change, don't spend your money on this ****. I'm not.

Crowds like the one we had on Friday send the message to the admin that the status quo is okay.

Last edited:
I will continue to ask what aspect of the university has gotten better under Phil.

It isn't just athletics that has declined. In what way is the University better because Phil has been Chancellor?

I wouldn't mind football falling if they could say "Yes but look at X" There is no X to look at.
X only matters about the time 80,000 people start showing up to watch college kids take chemistry tests.

And moreso the attitude may be "Why are we asking them to donate this money to athletics when we can be asking them to donate it to (insert pet academic or pet project here) instead."

What they don't understand despite plenty of evidence to the contrary is that the donations to athletics don't take money away from other areas because these donors aren't going to look at it that way.

In fact the evidence shows that schools that turn donations into athletic success tend to see increases in donations to non-athletic funds as well. The donors like to feel good about the school they are donating to. They feel stronger connections when the athletics program is successful.

This relationship between athletic sucess and donations has been proven time and time again.
There is no other way to look at this situation than to admit that our administration simply does not want donor money, period.
I see this claim all the time. That is, that “it’s proven time and again” that athletic success leads to more interest and donations to a university. I’d like to see the proof of that because it’s pretty obvious that CU’s administration does not believe this to be true. I think us athletics fans wish it to be true to support our argument that we should pump more money into athletics.

When I went to UW's athletics website for football, a link to the "NIL Marketplace" was a main link. https://gohuskies.com/sports/football

It's a program through an external site where you can directly endorse players. Why isn't CU doing this as an organized thing for NIL on the official website? There is a Colorado Buffaloes section on the opendorse website, but it's mostly pros and not current players - though I did see Mekhi Blackmon on the CU page. https://opendorse.com/colorado-buffaloes

When I went to UW's athletics website for football, a link to the "NIL Marketplace" was a main link. https://gohuskies.com/sports/football

It's a program through an external site where you can directly endorse players. Why isn't CU doing this as an organized thing for NIL on the official website? There is a Colorado Buffaloes section on the opendorse website, but it's mostly pros and not current players - though I did see Mekhi Blackmon on the CU page. https://opendorse.com/colorado-buffaloes
LOL this from the athletic director that sat on the initial NCAA NIL committee. He's been completely inept at managing it. Yet another inexplicable failure...an expensive frustrating tone deaf one.

Oregon has the founder of Nike, while we're stuck with this idiot and his delusional positivity. Taking everything I have to not call him a ****ing moron on twitter.

It's bad enough we suck, with no end of suck in sight. Seeing Buff Twitter retweeting that guy right and left is insult to injury. He's the band that's playing as the ship is sinking.

It's bad enough we suck, with no end of suck in sight. Seeing Buff Twitter retweeting that guy right and left is insult to injury. He's the band that's playing as the ship is sinking.
I can't wait for the "you've gotta support the players 100%" tweets after AFA hangs a 50 burger on us without throwing the ball.

Back