What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jimmy Lake - DC Washington

Yep. And it applies to college, too. Last year we got an SEC matchup in the title game, resulting in a 26-23 final score. Previous years of CFP championship saw total points of 66, 85 and 62. Average points by national champions has been 37. If anyone thinks the path is to try to build a team that wins 20-10 type games on a consistent basis, you're going in the wrong direction.

You win the game by scoring more. But whether the philosophy should be limiting their scoring or piling up your own scoring is still up to debate.

We will need to agree to disagree here. I guess if chiefs win SB this year it probably changes mind. Before that I'm just not convinced.

No one should be trying to win 20-10, just as they should not be trying to win most games 52-45.

It's almost as if really good teams need both.
I don't think anyone is trying to win 52-45. I think, though, that when you have 2 coaches like last night who are trying to win 52-24 that you often get a 59-56 score like we saw. What Ohio State's doing to the nation's #1 defense today should open some eyes on the offense vs defense debate.

I don't think anyone is trying to win 52-45. I think, though, that when you have 2 coaches like last night who are trying to win 52-24 that you often get a 59-56 score like we saw. What Ohio State's doing to the nation's #1 defense today should open some eyes on the offense vs defense debate.

To an extent. Ohio State is one of the three most talented teams in the country.

No one should be trying to win 20-10, just as they should not be trying to win most games 52-45.

It's almost as if really good teams need both.
Of course you shouldnt be trying to win games 52-45, but that’s where the sport is going and if you are fixated on going against that, you’re going to get beat 38-8 or 42-10.

Michigan has one of the top defenses in the country and they’ve given up 55 points to their rival in the biggest game of Harbaughs tenure...

Of course you shouldnt be trying to win games 52-45, but that’s where the sport is going and if you are fixated on going against that, you’re going to get beat 38-8 or 42-10.

Michigan has one of the top defenses in the country and they’ve given up 55 points to their rival in the biggest game of Harbaughs tenure...

So don't play defense. Got it.

To an extent. Ohio State is one of the three most talented teams in the country.
They are, but shouldn’t that tell you that if you want to compete with the most talented teams in the country you need to be able to score a ton of points? If defense was more important, Ohio State wouldn’t be about to drop a 60 burger on the best defense in the country. Also look at Wisconsin and even UW in the past. Dominant defenses that can’t score consistently on offense, ultimately being their downfall

I really think you are reaching a little here. Why did OSU lose to Purdue?

They are, but shouldn’t that tell you that if you want to compete with the most talented teams in the country you need to be able to score a ton of points? If defense was more important, Ohio State wouldn’t be about to drop a 60 burger on the best defense in the country. Also look at Wisconsin and even UW in the past. Dominant defenses that can’t score consistently on offense, ultimately being their downfall
No one is arguing Wisconsin's offense is good this year. They did win lots of games before, and I would rather be Wisconsin instead of OkSU

I think I would caution trying to duplicate the top three coaches in the game. They can win any way they want.

I really think you are reaching a little here. Why did OSU lose to Purdue?

One of those days, luck, bad play. OSU is and has always been one of the most talented teams every single year. Their recruiting classes are incredible. Their backups, backups are better than our starters.

No one is arguing Wisconsin's offense is good this year. They did win lots of games before, and I would rather be Wisconsin instead of OkSU
Talking about Wisconsin in years past, particularly last year. Dominant defense all the way until they couldn’t put score Ohio State in the CCG

I am not disagreeing.

You guys are dramatically downplaying any defense in this thread though.
I’m more just emphasizing that I think I’d like an elite offense over an elite defense at CU, and therefore a guy like Holgerson over Lake, although, I haven’t ruled out the possibility of Lake bringing in an elite OC to possibly have the best of both.

I don’t think Michigan is playing bad, they’re just getting annihilated. OSU is dictating the whole game.

So when OSU can not defend, and got beat by Purdue's RB and WR badly, they are simply unlucky that night.

Okay, not sure if that's something I would buy

So when OSU can not defend, and got beat by Purdue's RB and WR badly, they are simply unlucky that night.

Okay, not sure if that's something I would buy

OSU is easily top 5 in talent. When they lose it isn’t due to a lack of talent, it’s playing like ****. OSU is better than Michigan and they’re playing like it.

Talking about Wisconsin in years past, particularly last year. Dominant defense all the way until they couldn’t put score Ohio State in the CCG

I do agree that they need to improve the offence. No one is arguing good offense doesn't matter.

It doesn't mean offense first when you buodl a team, and anything else is not modern football

I do agree that they need to improve the offence. No one is arguing good offense doesn't matter.

It doesn't mean offense first when you buodl a team, and anything else is not modern football
Well, in college you may be right, because there are no limits in recruiting both great offensive and great defensive players. In the NFL, things are much different though, and priority is being placed on offense

I think CU should only have offensive coaches, recruit only offensive players and use walk ons for defense.

Save money and recruit 10 OL, 6WR, 5 RB and 3 QB 's a year. Sorry, no TE's need apply.

Sometimes they also deny and say they don’t want to leave bc the offers are not really there despite their name coming up.

So far no evidence he is even on RGs list. Just random speculation.

There’s no evidence that anyone is on the list. He fits the bill.

As for the denials... they’re frequent, especially among coaches who leave for greener pastures.

Back