What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Johnna Pointer Named Assistant Women's Basketball Coach

RSSBot

News Junkie
Johnna Pointer has been named an assistant women's basketball coach at the University of Colorado, head coach Linda Lappe announced on Monday.

More...

"I am so pleased to have been offered this position by coach Lappe," Pointer said. "Knowing her vision of where she wants this program to go, with the players and the coaching staff she is bringing together, and the passion she has for CU, it's exciting to be a part of this. It's going to be an incredible journey and I'm looking forward to being part of it.

"I think of myself as a player's coach, here is for the players; to get to know them on and off the court and have an impact on their lives is something that is important to me. I want to be part of rebuilding a winning program here."

Before coming to Colorado, Pointer was the Administrative President for the Hoop 10 Basketball - Serious Basketball Instruction program in Amarillo, Texas. In her position she had a hand in every facet of the program. Pointer would recruit players and organize competitive teams, plan and conduct individual and team practices and schedule and direct camps and clinics throughout Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma.

I believe this leaves one more opening.

Here's hoping it is Swoopes.

Pointer will coach the guards and bring a lot of administrative expertise. The other assistant, Jennie Baranczyk, is focused on coaching the post players and will serve as recruiting coordinator. Tracy Tripp was retained as Director of Ops, which I think was good for continuity and also because she's a great Buff (plus it doesn't hurt to have someone with a ton of coaching experience in that job). It seems like we've got our bases covered, especially with Ceal Barry working in the role of kind of a CEO for the program. Be nice if we could make a splash with our last hire. Swoopes would be national news.

Pointer also has 9 years of head coaching experience albeit not at the division 1 Big 12 level. She was at a JUCO for 2 years then 7 years at Wayland Baptist, an NAIA school. But Wayland is one of the big names in early women's basketball history. Before it became an NCAA sport and grew into an expensive operation, Wayland was one of the pioneer schools in promoting women's bb.

I'm also still hoping for Swoopes in the final position. With Pointer coaching guards and Baranczyk coaching the posts, that leaves 'forwards' open..... and guess what position Swoopes played.

Back