What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Just came to say hello from Provo!

Was it the angel Gay-briel? Suddenly the "flaming sword" makes a little more sense to me now...

I was sceptical, but this byu fan seems OK. I'm wondering if he's the exception or the rule.

I saw it in NYC. I’ve never laughed so hard at a play in my life. At one point I was gasping for air. The lady sitting next to me thought I was having a fit. I had tears rolling down my cheeks. The “baptism” scene might be the funniest minute or two ever performed.

We saw it at the Kennedy Center, and we found it much funnier than many of the people in the seats next to us.

Our determination was that if you are like 90+% of Americans, and haven't lived in or near a community with a lot of mormons then quite a few of the jokes don't land nearly as well.

I was sceptical, but this byu fan seems OK. I'm wondering if he's the exception or the rule.

We saw it at the Kennedy Center, and we found it much funnier than many of the people in the seats next to us.

Our determination was that if you are like 90+% of Americans, and haven't lived in or near a community with a lot of mormons then quite a few of the jokes don't land nearly as well.
I think he is because he professes to be an excomm LDSer. The ones who have left the cult are okay, although still liking their athletics team lowers him many pegs.

I think he is because he professes to be an excomm LDSer. The ones who have left the cult are okay, although still liking their athletics team lowers him many pegs.
Thought I'd check back in on this thread today!

So I'm not excomm. I left willingly. I grew up in Provo but me and my immediate family were never believers. We had a ton of close extended family who went to BYU though so we were around the team and culture a lot, and to this day I work with several former BYU players. Since we were never believers, nor regular attendees, I was able to basically consider BYU to be just my local team. If I grew up in SLC or Boulder or whatever then it probably would have ended up being whoever was most local.

We still have very close, very dear family members who are active in the church so in some ways I still have a soft spot for the culture even when I staunchly disagree with the religion itself. My best friend is still an active member so I keep my thoughts to myself in that arena when I'm with him. I always felt that Gary's speech in South Park mirrors a lot of my own thoughts on the religion, even if Gary is a believer and I'm not.

The LDS Church is changing though. Slowly but surely. It is often times ~20 or 30 years behind the rest of the country. But the younger generations (millenial/GenZ) are beginning to make a noticeable difference in the area what with accepting LGBTQ+ individuals in the community, and such (I've actually seen the Pride Flag displayed on several active members homes). There is a ways to go, but it is improving.

That being said, I can't come to believe any of it. I'm a live and let live kind of guy. If it isn't harming or demeaning anybody else then do what feels good and right.

Thought I'd check back in on this thread today!

So I'm not excomm. I left willingly. I grew up in Provo but me and my immediate family were never believers. We had a ton of close extended family who went to BYU though so we were around the team and culture a lot, and to this day I work with several former BYU players. Since we were never believers, nor regular attendees, I was able to basically consider BYU to be just my local team. If I grew up in SLC or Boulder or whatever then it probably would have ended up being whoever was most local.

We still have very close, very dear family members who are active in the church so in some ways I still have a soft spot for the culture even when I staunchly disagree with the religion itself. My best friend is still an active member so I keep my thoughts to myself in that arena when I'm with him. I always felt that Gary's speech in South Park mirrors a lot of my own thoughts on the religion, even if Gary is a believer and I'm not.

The LDS Church is changing though. Slowly but surely. It is often times ~20 or 30 years behind the rest of the country. But the younger generations (millenial/GenZ) are beginning to make a noticeable difference in the area what with accepting LGBTQ+ individuals in the community, and such (I've actually seen the Pride Flag displayed on several active members homes). There is a ways to go, but it is improving.

That being said, I can't come to believe any of it. I'm a live and let live kind of guy. If it isn't harming or demeaning anybody else then do what feels good and right.

You know Gary is a cartoon character, right?

You know Gary is a cartoon character, right?
shocked holy shit GIF

Back