What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

I’m not all in on Tosh, he worked at Alabama for 5 years and was promoted 3 times. If his failure was not being a great defensive play caller then fine don’t hire him as a DC.

It’s not crazy to want a guy who won’t leave a week after signing day and f**k over his staff and the players - what IS crazy is to assume any of these other candidates we debated for two weeks would.
Just because a guy doesn’t have CU connections, or doesn’t talk about how CU is his dream job doesn’t mean he’s going to pull what Tucker did - you’re overreacting.

As far as Tosh, For every Ed Orgeron or Dabo Swinney, I could probably find at least two guys who went straight from successful position coach and well thought of recruiter who fell flat on their face (David Beaty is probably the most recent example) after getting promoted to or taking an HC job at a different school.

Three other things:
1. Unless you're at one of the blue bloods and you can basically draft players, integrity and character matter in recruiting Melvin is going to have to explain his departure from CU to every single recruit family he talks to at Michigan State.
2. For all you and I know, the buyout could have been an issue with Steve Sarkisian. If it was with him, EB, or anybody else we've talked to, that's a sign they aren't the right coach for CU.
3. The CU connections are a bonus. I love HCKD's passion for CU and the fact that he loves this part of the country so much that he decided to build a home here long before this came up. I never said that was mandatory at any point over the last 2 weeks-you're putting words in my mouth.

We won't know for years, IMO.

HCMM biggest weaknesses were:
1) little emphasis on recruiting
2) wildly too loyal to his assistants

Those were his kryptonite. We shall see with HCKD.
You forgot to mention how emotional he was, and not in a good, manly, controlled way. That, too, was a part of his issues. (Think of his crying and his screaming at the refs during critical parts of games, almost a complete lack of self-control.)

When KD said that he had limited prep, that tells me that Colorado thought they were going to get it all the way done with Sark. When that fell through, they brainstormed the list of “guys with HC experience and CU connections” and interviewed KD. He impressed them and they finished the deal.

I will point out that every cycle there are the hot names for coaching openings. I would estimate that 60% of those don’t work out. Two decades ago Karl Dorrell was one of those hot names at a time when it was harder for a black HC to get a chance. He had a winning record at UCLA and went to bowl games but that was not enough for the Bruins.

And sadly when a black head coach get fired he tends to not get second chances, while guys like Lane Kiffin and Will Muschamp get multiple chances.

in reality we love the guy with no HC track record because there appears to be no ceiling and that gives us hope. But every situation is different. Right now I hope that coach Dorrell is the right man for the CU job which Gary Barnett will tell you is not for everyone.

When KD said that he had limited prep, that tells me that Colorado thought they were going to get it all the way done with Sark. When that fell through, they brainstormed the list of “guys with HC experience and CU connections” and interviewed KD. He impressed them and they finished the deal.
I agree with the first, not sure on the second - it's entirely possible he was already on their list, just far enough down that they hadn't gotten to it yet.

For those who missed the presser, HCKD talked about the timeline today. He was going to be off from the Dolphins for a long weekend. Had a flight back home to his wife in Colorado scheduled for Thursday. Got a call from Lance Carl Thursday afternoon (probably morning in Colorado) asking if he'd be interested in interviewing for the job, agreed to interview on Friday morning (in his own house!).

Definitely a "right time, right place" type of hire from his side - and yeah, had about 12 hours to "prep" for the interview (I can't imagine - he obviously holds up well under pressure).

But yeah, that timeline tells me that RG & LC really thought they were going to get it done with Sark.

I am glad that instead of just moving to whoever the #2 was from the first round of interviews, they decided to start interviewing again. With how quick it got done (and truthfully, would have gotten done with Sark) - I think they knew what they wanted and didn't compromise on that (as they probably would have done if they had gone with their #3 from the first round of interviews).

Venting is over for me. You watch the presser and you really want this guy to succeed. Things I love:
  • Passion for the school
  • Love for the kids
  • Meeting with the Seniors last night
  • Recruiting footprint that matches our natural footprint. Add AZ and NV to his list
I hope he goes out and gets a badass recruiting staff to join him, beyond Chev. He is going to need that and not just teachers as he kept talking about. I hope he keeps the focus on large lineman that will win the LOS on both sides of the ball. I hope he does focus on speed everywhere. Speed kills and you never have enough and we have had too little.

Build the staff to go out and get the talent to this program. You have the love for the University of Colorado but it has to translate on the field. I am pulling for you HCKD.

As far as Tosh, For every Ed Orgeron or Dabo Swinney, I could probably find at least two guys who went straight from successful position coach and well thought of recruiter who fell flat on their face (David Beaty is probably the most recent example) after getting promoted to or taking an HC job at a different school.

Three other things:
1. Unless you're at one of the blue bloods and you can basically draft players, integrity and character matter in recruiting Melvin is going to have to explain his departure from CU to every single recruit family he talks to at Michigan State.
2. For all you and I know, the buyout could have been an issue with Steve Sarkisian. If it was with him, EB, or anybody else we've talked to, that's a sign they aren't the right coach for CU.
3. The CU connections are a bonus. I love HCKD's passion for CU and the fact that he loves this part of the country so much that he decided to build a home here long before this came up. I never said that was mandatory at any point over the last 2 weeks-you're putting words in my mouth.
Again, I’m not married to the idea of Tosh, he was one of many I would be interested in - I’m not sure why we’re even discussing him.

To your other points:
1) Integrity is great, but that’s Mel’s problem now. You’re making it our problem by assuming other candidates are as dishonest as Mel which is faulty logic.
2) This is completely speculative and doesn’t warrant a response.
3) All those warm fuzzies you got about him building a house here are great, and KD is someone easy to root for, but those warm fuzzies are going to last until his first couple bad losses or if early recruiting is tepid, or he hires a marginal staff then him having built a house here won’t mean dick.

Point is that results matter more than all the talk of dream jobs and integrity. If he is successful everyone will be happy.

Again, I’m not married to the idea of Tosh, he was one of many I would be interested in - I’m not sure why we’re even discussing him.

To your other points:
1) Integrity is great, but that’s Mel’s problem now. You’re making it our problem by assuming other candidates are as dishonest as Mel which is faulty logic.
2) This is completely speculative and doesn’t warrant a response.
3) All those warm fuzzies you got about him building a house here are great, and KD is someone easy to root for, but those warm fuzzies are going to last until his first couple bad losses or if early recruiting is tepid, or he hires a marginal staff then him having built a house here won’t mean dick.

Point is that results matter more than all the talk of dream jobs and integrity. If he is successful everyone will be happy.

Easiest way to solve this is to get to a bowl next year. We've got the schedule for that-CSU is somebody we should drill (We played like absolute **** for a half and still beat them by 21 last year). Fresno's probably a pretty similar animal to CSU. A&M's a loss. We've got three winnable home games in league-Washington State, UCLA, and ASU. Sumlin's a dead man walking in Tucson. We need that W.

The staff is going to be the biggest question-Priority #1 today for Coach Dorrell is ensuring Chev is happy. I have no problem with him as the play caller again-say co-OC's with TC McCartney? Michalowski has done a really good job on the recruiting trail, and I've argued on 247 for making him LBs coach and giving him a nice bump in pay to keep him here. The only way Darian Hagan doesn't stay is if Dorrell doesn't want that-I'd be shocked if that happens. Pupunu, Tillman, and Summers? I don't know.

Finished watching the press conference -
1) Regarding DiStef - "I remember when Karl was here the first time..." This dude really needs to be shown the door, why do they keep him around.
2) While RG was talking - saw the screw top bottle with a light yellow hue at the top and kept thinking, "RG's the man, He's got a Coors Banquet screw top on the podium at the presser! :love:" Later saw it was a CU water bottle. Slight disappointment.;) :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, more important...
I had totally spaced when HCKD was here before - under Mac, and better for worse, with Neu and those offensive juggernauts we had from 96-2000. Then all the old CU guys he took with him to UCLA. Damn I was pissed about that, probably why my initial reaction to the hire was so "meh" trending toward the negative.
But remembering his history and listening to him talk about his connection to the program and Colorado the state - he gets it. He understands the challenges that have to be overcome at Colorado and he's done it before as a coach. I believe him and he knows what it's going to take to succeed.

The other thought that kept running through my head was, "Why didn't Bohner go after Dorrell after the Hawkins debacle?"

Bottom Line: I'm 100% behind Coach Dorrell and looking forward to seeing where the program goes under his guidance. Oh, and make damn sure Chev is the first assistant he talks to and give him OC/AHC and $$$$ to keep him! Use the that salary pool!

After listening to this interview doesn't sound like he would want Chev as OC. He wants a veteran play-caller so he HCKD can then focus his efforts on the team as a whole. However, he also said he might call plays so Chev might get a crack at if he goes with the latter option. Here's hoping for the veteran OC and keeping Chev as Asst. HC/WR and RC with a nice raise!

Back