What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

I can keep all the class together this year. They've already signed and about 1/3 of them have even been enrolled for a month. There's no "keep the class together" factor to this coaching hire. It's late February.

Exactly. They've signed binding LOIs to CU, and unless CU allows them to be released from those LOIs, they're here for at least one year.

Too many cooks in the kitchen on offense IMO.

An experienced OC would really help EB in that situation.
Makes sense. I came at it from the exact opposite POV - hire an offensive-minded HC so we could keep Chev, but allowing him to do what he actually does best.

How about someone like Doug Nussmeier? At one time he was considered one of the hottest names in college football as an up and commer. Unfortunately he tied his star to guys that crashed and burned - Brady Hoke and McElwain.

Just playing devils advocate here. Could we be grading DC's performance as a OC too harshly? Some of else defended Montez in 2018, blaming his ineptness on the Oline, "Tom Brady couldn't have done any better with that jailbreak of an OL!! ". With a Klayton Adams OL, could Andy Reid done any better at OC? Had to be rough calling plays with a line that couldn't pass protect or create get any push for run plays. DC did the only thing left on the card, he put the ball in the hands of a dude who just trucked over defenders, no blocking required. Worked out great for a while. I bet with Kaps OL, Chev would have had numbers as good or better than Johnson's, On that subject we will bet getting a change at OC, possible silver lining to MT's departure.

How about someone like Doug Nussmeier? At one time he was considered one of the hottest names in college football as an up and commer. Unfortunately he tied his star to guys that crashed and burned - Brady Hoke and McElwain.
Those crashes and Burns were party because of Doug! McElwain has been successful whenever he's NOT had him as OC.

Just playing devils advocate here. Could we be grading DC's performance as a OC too harshly? Some of else defended Montez in 2018, blaming his ineptness on the Oline, "Tom Brady couldn't have done any better with that jailbreak of an OL!! ". With a Klayton Adams OL, could Andy Reid done any better at OC? Had to be rough calling plays with a line that couldn't pass protect or create get any push for run plays. DC did the only thing left on the card, he put the ball in the hands of a dude who just trucked over defenders, no blocking required. Worked out great for a while. I bet with Kaps OL, Chev would have had numbers as good or better than Johnson's, On that subject we will bet getting a change at OC, possible silver lining to MT's departure.
Some of what you’re saying is absolutely true, but overall the offense was still far too predictable and predicated on a ton of lateral throws and Viska Wildcat. There were never any downfield routes or a lot of creativity in the running game.

The things I would worry with Chev are, first, I worry that he has the chops to attract a great assistant coaching staff and, second, as HC, he wouldn’t be able to do nearly as much on the road recruiting. With him as HC we’d lose him as a recruiting coordinator and would have to replace that position.

He's got 9 months to do that. My guess would be they want to keep the status quo as much as they can leading into spring ball. No issues with alot of the guys who are here staying (the clowns Tucker brought from UGA I'm not attached to) through 2020 given the ****ty timing of this.

The things I would worry with Chev are, first, I worry that he has the chops to attract a great assistant coaching staff and, second, as HC, he wouldn’t be able to do nearly as much on the road recruiting. With him as HC we’d lose him as a recruiting coordinator and would have to replace that position.

this. Chev’s strength is recruiting. As HC, he gets, what, 2 in-home visits per recruit? It’s the worst position for our best recruiter.

Dammit. Whoever gets the job at this point is going to have to deal with some butt hurt from whoever doesn’t get it. This is why you hate to see Chev out there tweeting all this stuff. He’s creating an “us against them” mindset that is simply unhealthy at this juncture.

Kinda pisses me off, TBH.

Dammit. Whoever gets the job at this point is going to have to deal with some butt hurt from whoever doesn’t get it. This is why you hate to see Chev out there tweeting all this stuff. He’s creating an “us against them” mindset that is simply unhealthy at this juncture.

Kinda pisses me off, TBH.
Ok Boomer

Some of what you’re saying is absolutely true, but overall the offense was still far too predictable and predicated on a ton of lateral throws and Viska Wildcat. There were never any downfield routes or a lot of creativity in the running game.
Yep, offense was way too one dimensional and predictable. Just saying if he had a fundamentally sound line he could have opened it up so much more.....would've he? Who knows, ask a woodchuck.

I would define mediocre as fine, but nothing special. It's a recruiter position, so it's more than ok to have mediocre position coaching there.

What I see is that he has recruited some excellent talent and gotten good production. But we've had years like 2018 when his guys didn't block. We've had years like 2017 when his guys didn't produce and were the locker room cancer for the team. His WRs always struggle at gaining separation. Biggest criticism of Viska from draft analysts is that his technique is very raw. Speaking of Viska, we've also had several situations where talent sat on the bench while older guys who weren't performing kept their jobs and reps.

I thought I was being generous by saying "mediocre", to tell the truth. I also thought I maybe should have said "great" instead of "very good" on recruiting, which is what I thought people might criticize about my post.

The biggest criticism of Laviska I’ve seen is actually concern about his durability.

But it’s kind of moot to the point I’m making. Mel Tucker was on track to potentially be an NFL head coach. But he was in way over his head as a defensive coordinator in the NFL for Chicago. He went from NFL DC to college DB coach and then was a DC under a defensive coach.

I’ve never seen Tucker described as a brilliant X and O guy, and some of his in game decisions were concerning last year.

But he can recruit, command the room, and sell a vision (even if it is insincere).

I don’t know if Chev can sell a vision to donors and motivate them to write checks and command the meeting room and get players ready to run through a wall but he can obviously recruit well.

It’d be great if he was a brilliant play caller and designer too but plenty of brilliant coordinators have flamed out —probably because they’re too focused on their area of expertise to manage the big picture.

All I’m saying is no realistic slam dunk candidate that guarantees success. He does an aspect of the job well, so shouldn’t be immediately dismissed.

There’s less resistance to an alcoholic who was going on benders and got into it it with his AD the last time he was a head coach. That seems a little crazy.

What P5 school would scoop him up in a heartbeat as a HC?

What P5 school besides CU would have hired Mel Tucker as head coach? What P5 school would have hired Ed Ogeron before LSU did? USC didn’t want him despite his success as the interim coach there and he ended up going to LSU as the D line coach.

Who cares what other schools would do? Statistically most coaches don’t last very long anyway. You’re pretty lucky to get a Saban or Dabo. Dabo is another coach hire that was widely criticized, and probably wouldn’t have been hired as a HC by another P5 school besides Clemson.

On the other hand, I remember lots of praise for CU hiring Dan Hawkins. And he turned out to be a huge mistake. It’s kind of a crapshoot.

The biggest criticism of Laviska I’ve seen is actually concern about his durability.

But it’s kind of moot to the point I’m making. Mel Tucker was on track to potentially be an NFL head coach. But he was in way over his head as a defensive coordinator in the NFL for Chicago. He went from NFL DC to college DB coach and then was a DC under a defensive coach.

I’ve never seen Tucker described as a brilliant X and O guy, and some of his in game decisions were concerning last year.

But he can recruit, command the room, and sell a vision (even if it is insincere).

I don’t know if Chev can sell a vision to donors and motivate them to write checks and command the meeting room and get players ready to run through a wall but he can obviously recruit well.

It’d be great if he was a brilliant play caller and designer too but plenty of brilliant coordinators have flamed out —probably because they’re too focused on their area of expertise to manage the big picture.

All I’m saying is no realistic slam dunk candidate that guarantees success. He does an aspect of the job well, so shouldn’t be immediately dismissed.

There’s less resistance to an alcoholic who was going on benders and got into it it with his AD the last time he was a head coach. That seems a little crazy.

What P5 school besides CU would have hired Mel Tucker as head coach? What P5 school would have hired Ed Ogeron before LSU did? USC didn’t want him despite his success as the interim coach there and he ended up going to LSU as the D line coach.

Who cares what other schools would do? Statistically most coaches don’t last very long anyway. You’re pretty lucky to get a Saban or Dabo. Dabo is another coach hire that was widely criticized, and probably wouldn’t have been hired as a HC by another P5 school besides Clemson.

On the other hand, I remember lots of praise for CU hiring Dan Hawkins. And he turned out to be a huge mistake. It’s kind of a crapshoot.

is your name Darrin?

So basically, hiring a coach is a crapshoot so just go with whatever your gut tells you?

He went 7-16, so, I think the point about who the hell would've wanted him remains.
It took him a long time to rebuild his reputation and get anywhere near a HC chance. Opportunities to be the main man are rare for coaches. That’s why many will jump when they get their big shot.

Orgeron has had a top five recruiting reputation for years and has recruited ridiculous talent at schools like Miami, USC, and LSU. His overall resume (failed coaching stint at Ole Miss and all) is really not comparable to Chev's resume in any way.

Also, for people who keep mentioning Dabo, it is easy to forget that very nearly went sideways after the embarrassing Orange Bowl loss to West Virginia. He happened to make two dynamite hires in Brent Venables and then later Chad Morris, but he was far from a sure bet, even five years into his tenure.

Orgeron has had a top five recruiting reputation for years and has recruited ridiculous talent at schools like Miami, USC, and LSU. His overall resume (failed coaching stint at Ole Miss and all) is really not comparable to Chev's resume in any way.
Not to mention the contacts he secured in those jobs. Chev has a very limited sphere of influence with which to attract talented staff. Not to mention, what caliber of coordinator is going to stake his future to a HC with less qualifications than themselves? Chev would be a disaster hire, even with more resources at his disposal. The retweeting tells me he hasn't matured enough to be the head guy. Hiring him would be a total emotional move.

Also, for people who keep mentioning Dabo, it is easy to forget that very nearly went sideways after the embarrassing Orange Bowl loss to West Virginia. He happened to make two dynamite hires in Brent Venables and then later Chad Morris, but he was far from a sure bet, even five years into his tenure.

I think trying to use Dabo or Urban Meyer as a barometer for hiring a coach is just not how you do it. They've been wildly successful, obviously, despite basically going from WR coach to HC. It's just not a model we should use. It's a field littered with complete disasters.

It'd be like hiring a HS coach. Somewhere down the road one guy will probably make the jump and be successful, but then there's 9 million other total failures.

I think trying to use Dabo or Urban Meyer as a barometer for hiring a coach is just not how you do it. They've been wildly successful, obviously, despite basically going from WR coach to HC. It's just not a model we should use. It's a field littered with complete disasters.

It'd be like hiring a HS coach. Somewhere down the road one guy will probably make the jump and be successful, but then there's 9 million other total failures.
I also think Urban Meyer going to G5 HC for a couple seasons shouldn’t be overlooked as a major difference between his path and Chev. There aren’t very many P5 assistants that should be given the keys to another P5 program. Chev would be an intriguing option for a solid G5 job, IMO.

So basically, hiring a coach is a crapshoot so just go with whatever your gut tells you?

No, I’m just saying there is no home run hire that will guarantee success. And if the media applauds the hire it doesn’t mean it’ll work out and if the hire is panned it doesn’t mean it won’t work out.

Every name I’ve seen has pluses and minuses, and I’d have reservations about anyone hired until I saw them coach a game, including Chev. I’m just not going to dismiss anyone that has proven success at an aspect of the job.

Why do you think that?
Because you don’t want to be known as the university who is forcing kids to be there, especially after the HC bolted, not that it’s CUs fault, but these kids aren’t prisoners. RG, LC and new HC should do everything they can to convince them to stay, but they shouldn’t be in the business of holding them to their LOI against their will.

Back