What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Calhoun would be the “we are throwing in the chips, folding up shop, going through the motions of being a P5 program” hire. Cheap hire, dramatic cutback in assistant coaching salary pool, even bigger cutback in recruiting funds.

CU interviewed the Drake coach before they hired Mac because CU was so bad at the time that they lost to Drake two years in a row. If Calhoun was interviewed for the position, which I doubt, it should only be to find out what CU’s vulnerabilities are from a lower level coach that successfully exploited those vulnerabilities.

Ya...

I respect Calhoun. Think he does a wonderful job at AFA. He would be a terrible fit at CU.
He averages 7.5 wins/year at Air Force over the last 13 seasons. Is anyone confident he is going to do better than that at CU, or have people just accepted that CU isn't going to compete for Pac 12 Championships?

Because maybe he has a recruiting plan, including assistants he would hire. Why wouldn't you interview him?
For the same reason I wouldn’t hire Dave Logan - I don’t think the success he has had at all translates to the Pac12 or the recruiting demands of P5 football.

If we’re going to hire someone with a 59% career winning percentage in the MWC I’d rather have McElwain who had at least seen what top level football looks like.

This comes down to 3 for me: EB, Sark, Grinch. Chev would be the only outlier that wouldn't completely depress me. The rest of the list is horrific.

My first reaction is actually to be encouraged. Jay Hill is someone not on my radar but spent 12 years at Utah before taking the Weber State job where he’s killing it right now and he’s only 44. And with 3 straight conference titles (yes I realize it’s Big Sky) shows me he’s not a MacIntyre clone leveraging one good season into a bigger job.

Willie Fritz - meh

Skip Holtz - meh also, although 6 straight bowl wins and only 5 losing seasons in 20 as a HC is decent. Not my favorite but would take him over Calhoun.

Great to see Sark and Grinch as candidates if this is true. The others we knew about.

My first reaction is actually to be encouraged. Jay Hill is someone not on my radar but spent 12 years at Utah before taking the Weber State job where he’s killing it right now and he’s only 44. And with 3 straight conference titles (yes I realize it’s Big Sky) shows me he’s not a MacIntyre clone leveraging one good season into a bigger job.

Willie Fritz - meh

Skip Holtz - meh also, although 6 straight bowl wins and only 5 losing seasons in 20 as a HC is decent. Not my favorite but would take him over Calhoun.

Great to see Sark and Grinch as candidates if this is true. The others we knew about.

Good call on Jay Hill. He is intriguing to me-hadnt really put much thought into him.

Calhoun would be the “we are throwing in the chips, folding up shop, going through the motions of being a P5 program” hire. Cheap hire, dramatic cutback in assistant coaching salary pool, even bigger cutback in recruiting funds.

CU interviewed the Drake coach before they hired Mac because CU was so bad at the time that they lost to Drake two years in a row. If Calhoun was interviewed for the position, which I doubt, it should only be to find out what CU’s vulnerabilities are from a lower level coach that successfully exploited those vulnerabilities.

I don't spend a ton of time around here -- but since I've been here the past couple weeks it's like everything you post is exactly the opposite of what I'm thinking.

We could only be so lucky to land Calhoun, who has told us to get bent in the past when we've come calling. A guy with NFL pedigree, who has managed to make it work at a ****ing service academy -- who came in here and handed us our asses this year -- is not an inferior choice worthy of your disdain.

But the fact you hate it actually feels promising to me.

I don't spend a ton of time around here -- but since I've been here the past couple weeks it's like everything you post is exactly the opposite of what I'm thinking.

We could only be so lucky to land Calhoun, who has told us to get bent in the past when we've come calling. A guy with NFL pedigree, who has managed to make it work at a ****ing service academy -- who came in here and handed us our asses this year -- is not an inferior choice worthy of your disdain.

Spent 25 out of 29 years coaching the option. How is that a fit in the Pac12? How is he going to recruit? There are major red flags with Calhoun.

Spent 25 out of 29 years coaching the option. How is that a fit in the Pac12? How is he going to recruit? There are major red flags with Calhoun.

Not as many red flags as with Sark or Bielema imo.

He can find someone to help him evolve his offensive philosophy -- we'd be hiring a rock solid leader. However -- those ARE valid concerns. I'd worry a little about cultural fit here.

We just have a different view on the role of recruiting and running a modern scheme. Lots of room for differing opinions.

I have toed-the-line over the years on wanting CU to decide that modern college football is not aligned with the greater educational institutional imperative and diminish football altogether. Seriously. If CU wanted to go in that direction then I'm on board 100% with Calhoun.

Every good football school has one.
View attachment 34110

I took some lessons at the UC Davis airport... It's a really cool amenity for a university to have, but Rocky Mountain/BJC is really in a great location for CU, and even has a CU Logo on the ground as you walk out onto the apron. Obviously its not owned by CU, but we've got it pretty good. I'm very jealous of schools that have their own golf courses...

Good call on Jay Hill. He is intriguing to me-hadnt really put much thought into him.
FCS coach so obviously you have to be wary (particularly who he could bring as a staff), but if you dropped some of the best P5 coaches off at Weber State in 2014 I’m not sure you could expect them to do much better than Hill has since he got there.

I took some lessons at the UC Davis airport... It's a really cool amenity for a university to have, but Rocky Mountain/BJC is really in a great location for CU, and even has a CU Logo on the ground as you walk out onto the apron. Obviously its not owned by CU, but we've got it pretty good. I'm very jealous of schools that have their own golf courses...
South Campus goal right there

If EB is still possible, he is obviously still #1, but if a Jay Hill-Chev combo is an option that is not terrible. Still dislike everyone else including Sark and BB and hard no on Calhoun.

We just have a different view on the role of recruiting and running a modern scheme. Lots of room for differing opinions.

I have toed-the-line over the years on wanting CU to decide that modern college football is not aligned with the greater educational institutional imperative and diminish football altogether. Seriously. If CU wanted to go in that direction then I'm on board 100% with Calhoun.

One thing with this new hire-I'm not expecting a ton of staff turnover right away given how close to spring ball we are regardless of who it turns out to be-We all know RG won't dictate that, but that's what I'd do if I were the new HC. Keep most of the people still here (other than maybe Summers) in place through the fall and then make changes depending on how the 2020 campaign goes.

Here's where I'm at with Calhoun-I don't hate the idea, but I'm more intrigued by Sark (I believe RG has enough power up there to do that if he wants-but its a little make or break for his legacy at CU), Grinch, and some of these others. I think he's got a plan as far as recruiting-its gotta start with ensuring Chiaverini remains happy (more money, the OC title back, etc.) and probably keeping Michalowski and Hagan. He probably isn't bringing his AFA offense with him, either.

Back