What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Thtop with the Thkip Holth and Rory Calhoun talk! My head ith about to ekthplode!!

I just saw a report that said that CU would likely be naming our next HC in the next 36 hours with it being either Bielema or Calhoun. Of course I have no idea if that's true but let's assume it is. Of those two, I'm much more excited about Calhoun. He has been a consistent winner at a service academy and he's doing that with one and two star recruits at best. Everyone complains about his offense but he won't run that at CU. The service academies run the option because of the limited talent and athleticism of their players. It's an offense that relies on discipline and execution which makes it perfect for AFA, Navy, and Army. He obviously loves Colorado and would be unlikely to jump at the first perceived better job. He seems like a good and decent man who has been loyal to AFA even though he has had other opportunities. As for Bielema, I think he would just use CU as a stepping stone to a return to the Big Ten or SEC. I think he's a good coach with an impressive resume but I have doubts he'd stay here long term.

I just saw a report that said that CU would likely be naming our next HC in the next 36 hours with it being either Bielema or Calhoun. Of course I have no idea if that's true but let's assume it is. Of those two, I'm much more excited about Calhoun. He has been a consistent winner at a service academy and he's doing that with one and two star recruits at best. Everyone complains about his offense but he won't run that at CU. The service academies run the option because of the limited talent and athleticism of their players. It's an offense that relies on discipline and execution which makes it perfect for AFA, Navy, and Army. He obviously loves Colorado and would be unlikely to jump at the first perceived better job. He seems like a good and decent man who has been loyal to AFA even though he has had other opportunities. As for Bielema, I think he would just use CU as a stepping stone to a return to the Big Ten or SEC. I think he's a good coach with an impressive resume but I have doubts he'd stay here long term.
Hugely disappointing if true

Calhoun

...Everyone complains about his offense but he won't run that at CU.

...He obviously loves Colorado and would be unlikely to jump at the first perceived better job.

...He seems like a good and decent man who has been loyal to AFA even though he has had other opportunities.

You make some statements in your post that unless you have a personal relationship with the man are pretty hard to be provable facts.

- How do you know, for a fact, that he won't run an option offense at CU?
- How do you know, for a fact, that he "obviously loves Colorado"?
- How do you know, for a fact, that "he has had other opportunities"?

You make some statements in your post that unless you have a personal relationship with the man are pretty hard to be provable facts.

- How do you know, for a fact, that he won't run an option offense at CU?
- How do you know, for a fact, that he "obviously loves Colorado"?
- How do you know, for a fact, that "he has had other opportunities"?
Also, how does any of that mean he should be a legitimate candidate for a P5 HC job?

Football scoop has been wrong a lot. Buffzone posted a list with more names, and Doug Gotlieb tweeted out 5 names with a few nobody had mentioned.

We should hire a HC that needs to change his coaching philosophy. Totally on board.

Calhoun was an NFL offensive coordinator - I think he could manage to evolve. Judging from how the Air Force offense performed this year at Folsom - I think he can tailor his scheme to the talent.

Anyway -- all of these guys are going to be slightly imperfect at this stage... Personally, I'd rather take my chances on rock solid character and leadership (Calhoun) as opposed to the shiny penny (Sark). Or the also ran (Bielema). Or the retread (EB). Just my two cents.

I think it is really strange to praise the character of a guy bolting his program after signing day.

Calhoun was an NFL offensive coordinator - I think he could manage to evolve. Judging from how the Air Force offense performed this year at Folsom - I think he can tailor his scheme to the talent.

Anyway -- all of these guys are going to be slightly imperfect at this stage... Personally, I'd rather take my chances on rock solid character and leadership (Calhoun) as opposed to the shiny penny (Sark). Or the also ran (Bielema). Or the retread (EB). Just my two cents.
We cant afford to play it safe at this stage of the game. Although, I think hiring Calhoun would be a another level gamble

I can't confirm any job offers but there have been opportunities such as Tennessee. He took himself out of the running for that job and Tennessee is a really good job. I remember reading an article in the Gazette about how much him and his family love living in Colorado but I can't find it. I think staying at AFA for that long after much shorter stays in other places is a pretty good indication as well. As for the option, I found a Q&A article in the Gazette where he talked about having quality skill players which will allow him more flexibility in the offense and that they won't have to completely rely on the option. I think that pretty much backs up what I said.

I think it is really strange to praise the character of a guy bolting his program after signing day.

He's turned down many job opportunities in the past to remain at Air Force - CU, Tennessee, Mizzou. He's not the guy who is going to take every interview that comes his way. I understand your point - but it does seem like a slightly unrealistic standard with how business is done nowadays.

He's turned down many job opportunities in the past to remain at Air Force - CU, Tennessee, Mizzou. He's not the guy who is going to take every interview that comes his way. I understand your point - but it does seem like a slightly unrealistic standard with how business is done nowadays.

More saying I would not go with the "good guy" angle in this situation.

While I agree with what you are saying, I think there is a difference between leaving after one season and leaving after an extended period.

Back