What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

If it is Chev. How do we quality assistants? His coaching pool is pretty shallow.
I see RG and LC stepping in and basically doing a searches like they are for the HC position, to fill the assistant openings.
Chev also has access to Barnett and Cabral as mentors.
The players would be on board
Definitely not a flashy hire, but a HC thats a top 25 recruiter is a bonus

That would be an amazing hire, especially to get him this late.
Why has Venables been such a "HOT" DC commodity for 10+ years, ever since his days at OU, but somehow he never got moved upstairs to the Big Chair?

Maybe it's because with the talent he has to work with, Bonzo the Chimp could be a killer DC and HCs need a bit more personal talent?

Why has Venables been such a "HOT" DC commodity for 10+ years, ever since his days at OU, but somehow he never got moved upstairs to the Big Chair?

Maybe it's because with the talent he has to work with, Bonzo the Chimp could be a killer DC and HCs need a bit more personal talent?
Or he doesn’t want to be a HC. Like Fangio until his 60s.

So once a new HC is hired what should we expect the buyout to be ?
$3 million for Midnight Mel certainly wasn't high enough.

So once a new HC is hired what should we expect the buyout to be ?
$3 million for Midnight Mel certainly wasn't high enough.
It rally wasn't $3 million, the timing of the Dantonio hire just threw everything off. Most coaches were hired in 2019 and it was $5 million then.

What would it take for Chev to be ready?

A few years at another school or two under an experienced head coach?
We hire an experienced head coach here he can learn under?

Just came here this morning to remind everyone (in case this hasn't already been said) that Andy Avalos comes from the Dan Hawkins Tree. He bleeds Boise State Blue. Trust me when I say we don't need another Boise State loyalist running our team.

And Walters..? come on man. I love the guy but no.

Both would be a huge huge step back for CU. If those are the only two guys we can muster up then Chev has to be the guy. Chev by a million miles.

Is it finally time for Brent Venables to take the captains chair?
I'm doubtful, but I'm also biased. Why would Venables leave at this point?

- Both of his sons are on the roster, one being a redshirt sophomore and the other an incoming true freshman.
- Clemson just pulled one of the all-time great defensive recruiting classes this past year (3 5-stars, 7 4-stars on defense alone), of which he had a massive hand in recruiting.
- He's got free reign to do what he wants with the defense...he can do just about anything and the coaching staff & fanbase will be behind him.

Perhaps most important:
- Despite Dabo being the one in the spotlight, Venables had just as much of a hand in Clemson's ascent than anyone else. I think he's proud of what he's built and isn't eager to leave it. Coaches spend entire careers trying to get into the position he's in, and 99% of them will never get there...why move away from it?

I think you’re right. I can see this working with Chev if you really spend on assistants. Walters at DC. Maybe spend on a Tee Martin
If it is Chev. How do we quality assistants? His coaching pool is pretty shallow.
I see RG and LC stepping in and basically doing a searches like they are for the HC position, to fill the assistant openings.
Chev also has access to Barnett and Cabral as mentors.
The players would be on board
Definitely not a flashy hire, but a HC thats a top 25 recruiter is a bonus

- Both of his sons are on the roster, one being a redshirt sophomore and the other an incoming true freshman.
- Clemson just pulled one of the all-time great defensive recruiting classes this past year (3 5-stars, 7 4-stars on defense alone), of which he had a massive hand in recruiting.
- He's got free reign to do what he wants with the defense...he can do just about anything and the coaching staff & fanbase will be behind him.

Perhaps most important:
- Despite Dabo being the one in the spotlight, Venables had just as much of a hand in Clemson's ascent than anyone else. I think he's proud of what he's built and isn't eager to leave it. Coaches spend entire careers trying to get into the position he's in, and 99% of them will never get there...why move away from it?
To be a head coach.

Are you saying that EB would handle it the same way as Tucker? Lying to boosters while negotiating in secret at the worst possible time to hire a college coach? I think that's a far-fetched argument. In fact, he's probably the least likely to screw over CU than any other candidate, except Chev maybe.

Speaking generally, college coaches get the attention of NFL programs when they have sustained, remarkable success (Kingsbury not withstanding). If EB were to move to the NFL after being wildly successful at CU, I would expect that he would make that transition in a manner that impacted CU the least he could. And I would be bummed, but OK with that.
No, only that a coach would leave after one year.

How could Mel have handled boosters differently without negatively impacting donations during that period? Or booster relations in general?

Perhaps most important:
If this latest fiasco has shown us anything, it’s that money talks. I know Venables makes a lot as a DC, but we ought to be able to double whatever he’s making.

I know I'm gonna get roasted for this but...What if we called Mr Barnett?

My Dad suggested it and I told him that would never happen but we both would take him in a New York Second! Plus, in this situation, would we be able to get anyone better?

Ok, so tell me all the reasons this is stupid.

My Dad suggested it and I told him that would never happen but we both would take him in a New York Second! Plus, in this situation, would we be able to get anyone better?

To start, he's pretty old at this point, out of the game for a while, and was suspended as the coach at CU and we were put on probation for things that happened while he was HC at CU.

Further, it would be an uninspiring retread hire. Why not hire Chev instead?

I'm not saying hire Chev, but if you're going to go with a familiar name from around the CU program, it would be the better idea.

Crossed my mind. But I doubt he wants to deal with this **** again.

Mrs BuffUp has said that for every coaching search since the day he was fired. Could not agree more, except he has been out of the game a while and getting old. Barnett was a winner and kids played hard for him.

What if it was Chev? I mean let’s be honest, 90% of people here laughed at Herm Edwards (although he has been a head coach before) because he wasn’t a college head coach and didn’t understand recruiting. But ASU hired really good coordinators for him so all he had to do was be a general and a closer. Chev is a Buff, he’s been here through now 2 tenures and knows what culture he would want to build and what works and what doesn’t. He’s a top 25 recruiter with ties all over the country.

So, what if it was Chev? Chev with a team of high quality assistants that could do their jobs without him. First time coaches get hired all the time and let their assistants help them figure it all out, hello midnight Mel.

This isn’t me calling for Chev, I think he isn’t ready, he has 1 year as an coordinator. But under the perfect circumstances could it work? Could he lead and let his assistants do the work? Do we even have the money for assistants like that?

Im just tossing out differing opinions here. I’m obviously frightened by our lack of uninspiring options piled on top of my fear that our assistants are getting ready to be poached by Mr. integrity.

If this latest fiasco has shown us anything, it’s that money talks. I know Venables makes a lot as a DC, but we ought to be able to double whatever he’s making.
True, and I wouldn't be surprised if Colorado could double his salary (Currently making ~$2.3 million/yr) but I think it'd take a serious commitment from the school to getting top-level assistants, too (probably an increase in 50-75% salary). Do you think Colorado would be willing to make a large commitment to the assistant coaches as well? All in all, you'd be looking at roughly doubling your current budget for the coaching staff.

EB coming in would be amazing given where are at now. Coming off a super bowl win, recruits today will know who he is plus they can see his ring. He is a Colorado legend and I would love to see CU be the first team to make him a HC after he got passed up inexplicably this past off season.

Mrs BuffUp has said that for every coaching search since the day he was fired. Could not agree more, except he has been out of the game a while and getting old. Barnett was a winner and kids played hard for him.
Barnett is your two year mentor / Chev = coach in waiting candidate.

I don't know why, but I have the feeling that we'd be looking at 5-7 years of just barely qualifying for a bowl if CU goes that route, and Matt Campbell/Iowa State type results would be the ceiling. Granted, that's an improvement over the last 15 years, but... is that what we really want?

Back