What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

You don't consistently win at the P5 without recruiting well. I would hope CU fans would understand this more than most.

C'mon man - nobody is suggesting otherwise.

I'm just saying we sometimes have delusions of grandeur about the state of our program. Before we concern ourselves about a massive recruiting dropoff - let's see a coach string together more than 1 consecutive good recruiting classes here AND win with them.

We should always aspire to recruit the very best talent -- but our track record would suggest that we sometimes end up somewhere in the middle and need a coach who can work with that.

I think Calhoun feels more realistic given the constraints we know we're working with -- and Sark feels like an aspirational hire (which could also be good!) -- but I just am more skeptical about him as a fit.

I'm just saying we sometimes have delusions of grandeur about the state of our program. Before we concern ourselves about a massive recruiting dropoff - let's see a coach string together more than 1 consecutive good recruiting classes here AND win with them.

We should always aspire to recruit the very best talent -- but our track record would suggest that we sometimes end up somewhere in the middle and need a coach who can work with that.

I think Calhoun feels more realistic given the constraints we know we're working with -- and Sark feels like an aspirational hire (which could also be good!) -- but I just am more skeptical about him as a fit.

You guys are the ones suggesting he will consistently be in bowl games. Unless he is an above average recruiter, good luck.

We also haven't usually ended up with a coach "somewhere in the middle" on recruiting. MM was a really poor recruiter.

I'm not deluded, but we could recruit to a damn high level with Mel ****er. I think we can maintain and improve with Sark but I think we slip to early MacIntyre levels under Calhoun

You guys are the ones suggesting he will consistently be in bowl games. Unless he is an above average recruiter, good luck.

We also haven't usually ended up with a coach "somewhere in the middle" on recruiting. MM was a really poor recruiter.

I know candidates suck this time of year but I truly believe RG when he says he values recruiting and everything else when he is hiring coaches. He will pick whomever is best and I do believe he was right last time.

I'm not deluded, but we could recruit to a damn high level with Mel ****er. I think we can recruit as good with Sark but I think we slip to early MacIntyre levels under Calhoun

Totally agree and that’s what I fear. Who the hell knows, maybe Calhoun could be a Wisconsin situation. Good X’s and O’s and recruit to your programs strength with specific types of players and do all the small things right.

I don’t want to be that guinea pig though. We’ve sucked for too long.

The pro-Calhoun crowd reminds me of the anti-Vax crowd.
iu

To all you Calhoun apologists: Jim McElwain had the same number of wins over P5 teams in his 3 years at CSU (4) as Calhoun has in 13 years at Air Force.

That’s right, Calhoun has 4 wins over P5 teams in 13 years at AFA and two of those wins came this year (CU and Wazzu). He was 2-9 against P5 teams his first 12 years in the Springs.

Stop it with this Calhoun nonsense.

The pro-Calhoun crowd reminds me of the anti-Vax crowd.
Not the best place to go for a joke, but oh well.

Would like to share a middle ground story about Vax or Anti-Vax... I know that Vaccines are what is best for our children, and my kids have all of theirs, but my daughter when she was a little over 1 year old got here MMR Shots and all was good for a few days. Then, she fell down while toddling around and when we changed her diaper, she had a huge red bruise on her bottom where she fell. Then a bunch of petichiae showed up all over her body. Long story short, the MMR shot gave her a rare condition called acute immune thrombocytopenic purpura or ITP, essentially her White Blood Cells were killing her Platelets and thus internal bleeding is likely and possible and it could kill her. She had to get a blood tranfusion and thank god she is OK now at age 16. There were 3 other children in her doctors office that also got this condition. Fast forward a few years from this very scary moment in our lives and someone informed me about the NATIONAL VACCINE INJURY COMPENSATION PROGRAM (VICP) that is run by the Government to pay for the rare moment when a Vaccine goes bad. Google it and read about it sometime. Long story short, get your kids Vaccinated, but if things go bad, go to the VICP and get compensated for any financial damages. Most do not know about it, and we actually found out after the statute of limitations expired.

Carry on

The unfortunate reality is our program has one winning season in the last 10+ years. **cker leaving hurts so much because he was punching above our weight class with recruits, and succeeding. Sark gives us the best chance to continue that momentum (excluding Wilcox #pipedream), but everyone else on the list is a step down (IMO). So, the next criteria on the list becomes who loves Colorado as much as RG? It's hard to argue Cev isn't the leader on that list, with Calhoun coming in second. Track record as a head coach probably puts Calhoun on top of the leaderboard, and hopefully Chev stays beyond 1-2 years.

To all you Calhoun apologists: Jim McElwain had the same number of wins over P5 teams in his 3 years at CSU (4) as Calhoun has in 13 years at Air Force.

That’s right, Calhoun has 4 wins over P5 teams in 13 years at AFA and two of those wins came this year (CU and Wazzu). He was 2-9 against P5 teams his first 12 years in the Springs.

Stop it with this Calhoun nonsense.
How did McElwain do against Calhoun?

Hers my reality with these names:

I was planning on spending my fall scheduling around CU games. Then MT up and left.

Hire Sark (or EB) and I still do that.

Hire Bielema, I still do that for about half the games.

Hire Calhoun, and I turn my fall scheduling over to the wife, watch the games that fit in that schedule and maybe DVR some others.

The problem I see with Calhoun is that we'll probably consistently win 6 to 8 games a year with a few 4 or 5 win seasons mixed in. He won't get hired away.

If we want to do better than that we'll have to fire him, and pay a buyout to fire a "winning" coach.

Good luck with that.

Hers my reality with these names:

I was planning on spending my fall scheduling around CU games. Then MT up and left.

Hire Sark (or EB) and I still do that.

Hire Bielema, I still do that for about half the games.

Hire Calhoun, and I turn my fall scheduling over to the wife, watch the games that fit in that schedule and maybe DVR some others.

The problem I see with Calhoun is that we'll probably consistently win 6 to 8 games a year with a few 4 or 5 win seasons mixed in. He won't get hired away.

If we want to do better than that we'll have to fire him, and pay a buyout to fire a "winning" coach.

Good luck with that.
I think you are exactly right. Hire Calhoun and you will get a lot seasons that are anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4, with a few 4-8 turds laid every few years. He will win enough to keep the job, but never challenge for the CCG, and CU will remain a middling P12 S team in the good years. No thanks.

Back