What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Why is there this belief that Calhoun would not leave CU? Because he has been at Air Force for a long time? Well if he comes here, he's proving that he's willing to leave for greener pastures.
The belief is that he loves living in Colorado so much that he would want to stay here until he retires, also that his ceiling is 8 wins/yr so nobody would want to poach him? That’s the summary of feelings around here, if I’m correct.

Reminds me of the coaching search after Hawkins was fired (a year too late). Several of our targets declined to even be considered - the comments that were returned were that it was too hard to win at CU. The problems revolved around Bohn’s lack of leadership - facilities, coaches pay, long term contracts, and an AD who did not have anyone’s back. Most of those problems have been fixed under Rick George but a few new ones have arisen namely the PAC 12 is not a competitive conference. ‘Financially behind and leadership who is not interested in competing at the highest levels. USC is a shadow of itself in football.

I think some coaches see this job as a high risk for their careers. You are then shopping at a lower tier of coaches. Calhoun is someone who may be your one of your best candidate - a proven coach who is not looking to be a high flyer in the SEC or Big 10. EB and Sark probably feel they want to pick their opportunity carefully.

Our last coach got a new job making over $5 million a year and never had a winning season. Do this narriative should be dead

Why is there this belief that Calhoun would not leave CU? Because he has been at Air Force for a long time? Well if he comes here, he's proving that he's willing to leave for greener pastures.
I never said that in my post nor was it my meaning. Everyone should manage their career. Guys like EB still has to prove himself especially since his last stint at CU... he was a hide flyer seen as a college head coach soon... the CU disaster set his career back a decade. Sark will be the hot guy next cycle so may have better opportunities and does not want to risk his future on CU. MY COMMENT was focused on the perception of the pac 12

I never said that in my post nor was it my meaning. Everyone should manage their career. Guys like EB still has to prove himself especially since his last stint at CU... he was a hide flyer seen as a college head coach soon... the CU disaster set his career back a decade. Sark will be the hot guy next cycle so may have better opportunities and does not want to risk his future on CU. MY COMMENT was focused on the perception of the pac 12
I'm not targeting your comment specifically. It's been pushed by a lot of the Calhoun fanboys on here. I just don't get why there's a perception that he's never gonna leave CU.

Our last coach got a new job making over $5 million a year and never had a winning season. Do this narriative should be dead
Huh!!,

When Tucker left many blamed the situation in the PAC 12. Tucker took a golden parachute to take over a black hole and CU does not have the resources to do anything similar. So to me the narrative of the PAC 12 perception is very much relevant and not dead. Look at PAC12 hires over the last few years

Huh!!,

When Tucker left many blamed the situation in the PAC 12. Tucker took a golden parachute to take over a black hole and CU does not have the resources to do anything similar. So to me the narrative of the PAC 12 perception is very much relevant and not dead. Look at PAC12 hires over the last few years

I was responding to your comment that this job is too risky for a potential coaches career.

PJ fleck?
Family and friends are all UM grads and that dude isn't going anywhere. If anyone even started sniffing around him at this point they'd back up 10 Brinks trucks. People would be sacrificing their new boat and sled stashes to keep him in the Cities.

giphy.gif

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Sarkisian and thought he would be a good hire but his staying with Alabama showed that he didn't want to be here bad enough, which is better we found that out now, as it would have eventually been a problem...

I'd like to see us look more into Blake Anderson...
I really like this idea, but people I know who are in the know say he's "too south". Not said as a bad thing, but the fit is just not there for both sides. <shrug>

P2 = SEC, Big-14, Texas and for now Clemson.
I'd say LSU, Georgia, Bama, Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State = P6

Second Tier = Florida, Florida State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, Oregon, USC, and maybe some others that I'm not thinking of.

So from what I heard it really is a reset:

RG has a multiple senior events to attend.
Calls will be made.
Official interviews will being again Monday and Tuesday.

I think names safe to scratch off the list include: Sark, EB, Calhoun and Bielma. I think if it were any of the three they would be coach now.

This is how you respond to missing one of your top targets. You don’t turn around and throw $12M at a sub .500 coach with a short resume and his below average staff.

I'd say LSU, Georgia, Bama, Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State = P6

Second Tier = Florida, Florida State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, Oregon, USC, and maybe some others that I'm not thinking of.

Other then the two P12 schools on your list, the others are so much wealthier. Not sure why you think any SEC school is not in the top revenue bracket.

Back