What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

What’s the appeal of Blake Anderson? He comes up occasionally and I don’t get it. 2 years as a P5 assistant under Larry Fedora otherwise a bunch of lower level assistant jobs and 6 years as an above average Sun Belt coach in Arkansas.

Jay Hill’s resume looks better to me and I’m far from falling in love with Jay Hill.
BA has done well with not much at Arky St. He is a guy who does more with less, and he has been on the short list for some decent jobs. He will get his shot. And honestly, he is someone I think will do well. The downside is, as with any G5 guy, he has no P5 track record for recruiting etc. Plus, he has never coached out west.

Having said that, CU is really in a bad way now. Not only did Melvin Huckster leave at a bad time, leaving CU late to the carousel, they have whiffed, very publicly, on their first choice. Now other candidates, particularly those with egos (isn't that pretty much all of them?), are going to shy away because they don't want to be the back up guy, in the most public coaching search in the nation right now.

So, you are going to have to settle for high risk candidates.

If CU goes G5, I would shop in this order:

1. Napier
2. Anderson
3. Jay Hill
4. Fickell ( I put him this low because I think there is a snowball's chance)

Otherwise it is retread or NFL guy time.

In short, we are screwed.

This is how you respond to missing one of your top targets. You don’t turn around and throw $12M at a sub .500 coach with a short resume and his below average staff.
Agreed I think the worst thing to do for us would be to do what MSU did and pay double the asking price to get a questionable coach. Supposedly, they can afford to be that dumb, we can't.
I'm glad RG is not rushing things.

He received an extension last year that has him under contract through 2024 at an average of $4.15M per year.

He's got some decent momentum at Virginia and Charlottesville is a beautiful area as well. However it's not all roses...Virginia is a very fertile area for talent but he's not doing great on the recruiting trail (2019: 39th, 2020: 48th, 2021: 42nd so far) and I think as a native Westerner/Mormon, the wine & cheese crowd at UVA could make him feel a bit out of place. I was always surprised that he left BYU for the Hoos, to be honest.

CU may be able to pony up the cash to bring him away from UVA + the buyout (a pretty reasonable $2.4 million), but one notable thing about his new contract extension is that he has a clause in it saying there's no buyout penalty if Mendenhall retires & doesn't take another job after the 2022 season. I don't think the Buffs should hire a guy who struggles at recruiting and is already looking at retirement.

Re-posting my original "would want" list. Most still in play TBH. Wonder how many we've contacted, if any?

Eric Bienemy
Matt Campbell
Blake Anderson
Dave Clawson
Billy Napier
Alex Grinch
Sonny Dykes
Urban Meyer
Bob Stoops
Dana Holgorsen
Tony Elliott
Luke Fickell
Jim Leonhard
Brian Ferentz
Andy Avalos

BA has done well with not much at Arky St. He is a guy who does more with less, and he has been on the short list for some decent jobs. He will get his shot. And honestly, he is someone I think will do well. The downside is, as with any G5 guy, he has no P5 track record for recruiting etc. Plus, he has never coached out west.

Having said that, CU is really in a bad way now. Not only did Melvin Huckster leave at a bad time, leaving CU late to the carousel, they have whiffed, very publicly, on their first choice. Now other candidates, particularly those with egos (isn't that pretty much all of them?), are going to shy away because they don't want to be the back up guy, in the most public coaching search in the nation right now.

So, you are going to have to settle for high risk candidates.

If CU goes G5, I would shop in this order:

1. Napier
2. Anderson
3. Jay Hill
4. Fickell ( I put him this low because I think there is a snowball's chance)

Otherwise it is retread or NFL guy time.

In short, we are screwed.

I think Jim Mora would be great here.

I saw Rick George go down and talk to Elway during the Bball game last night. Hmmmm ....??!?!?!

Rick: "Hey John, do you have Kube's phone number?"
John: "Sure, Rick. Gimme a minute. Nice pass by Kin. He's the real deal..."

Other then the two P12 schools on your list, the others are so much wealthier. Not sure why you think any SEC school is not in the top revenue bracket.
I should have added Auburn into that second tier.

I don't think Vandy will ever spend top dollar on football. I think that the other SEC schools are a few years of building away from being contenders, basically the list is who I could conceive of making the 4 team playoff in the next 3 or 4 years. I'm sure I missed others.

The SEC revenue does dictate that a Tennessee or Ole Miss could easily slide into that top tier by snagging a few special players and building momentum.

I was more thinking of what programs have shown the ability to have a shot at the playoff.

Here's some data that I could find on program revenues. The SEC does dominate the top money programs

Top 25 in 2019 from Forbes (Football revenue)
10 of the 14 SEC schools are on the list (#1TxA&M, #4Bama, #7Georgia, #9Florida, #10Auburn, #11LSU, #12Tenn., #16(t)S.Carolina, #16(t)Arkansas, #24Ole Miss)

Ranking of all 64 P5 schools + Notre Dame for 2017 football revenue
Colorado comes in at #43 of 65,

West Virginia is dead last, they've been consistently successful, I can see cost of living having an impact here, there's so many expenditures that have to be cheaper in Morgantown.

There are a few low revenue schools from the SEC #61 Miss St, #60 Vandy, #59 Mizzou, #49 Kentucky.

Interesting to look at.

There's definitely a have/have-not problem.

I think expanding the playoff to 8 teams would make a huge difference. The chances of a financial mid-tier program getting in and competing for a title are much higher if we are certain to get a team in from each of the P5 conferences, one of the Group of 6, and 2 at-large bids.

Isn’t this a thread regarding CU’s new coach? Not how you would prefer to fix football. Has to be a different thread in regards to this where you can continue to ramble.
I should have added Auburn into that second tier.

I don't think Vandy will ever spend top dollar on football. I think that the other SEC schools are a few years of building away from being contenders, basically the list is who I could conceive of making the 4 team playoff in the next 3 or 4 years. I'm sure I missed others.

The SEC revenue does dictate that a Tennessee or Ole Miss could easily slide into that top tier by snagging a few special players and building momentum.

I was more thinking of what programs have shown the ability to have a shot at the playoff.

Here's some data that I could find on program revenues. The SEC does dominate the top money programs

Top 25 in 2019 from Forbes (Football revenue)
10 of the 14 SEC schools are on the list (#1TxA&M, #4Bama, #7Georgia, #9Florida, #10Auburn, #11LSU, #12Tenn., #16(t)S.Carolina, #16(t)Arkansas, #24Ole Miss)

Ranking of all 64 P5 schools + Notre Dame for 2017 football revenue
Colorado comes in at #43 of 65,

West Virginia is dead last, they've been consistently successful, I can see cost of living having an impact here, there's so many expenditures that have to be cheaper in Morgantown.

There are a few low revenue schools from the SEC #61 Miss St, #60 Vandy, #59 Mizzou, #49 Kentucky.

Interesting to look at.

There's definitely a have/have-not problem.

I think expanding the playoff to 8 teams would make a huge difference. The chances of a financial mid-tier program getting in and competing for a title are much higher if we are certain to get a team in from each of the P5 conferences, one of the Group of 6, and 2 at-large bids.

I don’t know if he’d be great, but I don’t think he’d be bad. Has the resources to assemble a good staff (probably over time since there may not be a ton available right now), decent recruiter, wants to be here. If he kept chev and this class stayed together, could rebound nicely. Worth an interview at least, and if he has a good vision/plan, I’d definitely support it. I like it a hell of a lot more than TC, and probably more than EB. I really wanted Sark, but we got outbid. Deal with it, move on, don’t do anything drastic. I have no illusion that we’re anywhere near the playing field of the P6 schools mentioned above.

Definitely a retread.

I am not sure I would go along with great hire. CU would never have ever considered him in a "normal" carousel search.

I would say, under the circumstances now, he would be a good hire. He can recruit the West Coast. He is a fundamentally solid coach, but that doesn't mean he has no serious issues. His fUCLA teams underachieved. They were talented, but undisciplined. But, if he could get CU to a bowl game 2/3 years, at this point, I 'd take him.

Last edited:
At this point, just stop looking at guys who currently work for Nick Saban or Kirby Smart (who is basically the mini-me to Saban's Dr. Evil) and I'll be fine with whoever it is. Given the role he played in getting Melvin to Nassar U and what happened yesterday we're wasting our time if we're continuing to look there.

Re-posting my original "would want" list. Most still in play TBH. Wonder how many we've contacted, if any?

Eric Bienemy
Matt Campbell
Blake Anderson
Dave Clawson
Billy Napier
Alex Grinch
Sonny Dykes
Urban Meyer
Bob Stoops
Dana Holgorsen
Tony Elliott
Luke Fickell
Jim Leonhard
Brian Ferentz
Andy Avalos
We’ve probably contacted all of them!

The whole idea that we should be embarrassed is silly. We are in a bad situation, true. But we have resources, we need to make a smart decision, then kick ass. That is all. Stop freaking out.

True, but there are always fans whose identity is just a little too tied to the team they root for. CU's coaching search is less than a blip, even for a rabid CFB fan. There's nothing embarrassing about making an offer that's not accepted and few will even remember the story 3 months from now. All that matters is getting the right coach (or at least the best available.)

Isn’t this a thread regarding CU’s new coach? Not how you would prefer to fix football. Has to be a different thread in regards to this where you can continue to ramble.
There's 104 pages of posts, half of which are wild speculation, bs jokes, or reposting of uninformed hot takes from low information media types; I'm sorry for discussing financial implications related to the coaching search in the context of the ultimate goal of winning a national championship.

You're welcome to not read my post, or ignore me.

I agree that this isn’t “national embarrassment” level. It’s an unfortunate situation to be in. At the national level, it seems to me the narrative is more along the lines of how college football is becoming highly stratified. Consider this: CU’s athletics budget was just a shade under $100MM. That’s a very big number, and it’s more than the vast majority of schools out there. It just happens to be smaller than their very top echelon of schools.
Call Jim Mora. See what he has to say. At the very least, he should be an experienced stop gap that could assemble a good staff and recruit at the top half of the conference.

this narrative that CU is a national joke or embarrassment is weird. More likely folks look at it as “holy sh*t. Glad that ain’t us.”
True I guess. I was just venting. I would have walked away years ago. Instead I volunteer on the site instead of getting paid to do the same work. I'm stupid like that.

I'll be at Folsom next year no matter who the coach is.

It will never happen, but if Urban Meyer wants to become the Bill Belichek of college coaching, he can return to his roots in the Pac-12--not for the money, not for the assistant's money, or even to win a NC, but to just show everyone how great he is; and thereby put Saban in his place.

Simply, you come into the worst situation imaginable take Chev and the assistants that wish to remain in Boulder under your wing for the meantime (they will have a season to show that they have), and just demonstrate what you can do. It is more giving the middle finger to the current college football establishment than anything else. Boulder is not the worst place to retire. Colorado is #2 in the nation for retirees quality of life.

I admit that is a pipe dream, but times are desperate.

Back