What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

I love all the posts were guys are throwing out "hire X and surround him with good coordinators and recruiters"...there are none of those guys available, and I doubt we're poaching any given the time of year and our middling AC pool. Tucker has top 10 AC pool money and has had a ton of guys turn him down.

What assistant coach in their right mind would want to work under him in a situation like that?

Unless they're going with Mel, where are they going to go at this point? If you hire a coach at this point in the game, what are the odds he'll even retain the assistant coaches? I think ahoolsken's post below also helps.

I don't have a problem with giving him a shot, but it can't be on an interim basis. Do you really want to do this again in November? Give him the contract Melvin had-but keep the buyout if we want to move on from him at $3m. That covers our asses if Chev's Embree 2.0.

I think that's a great idea...give runway for things to keep rolling, but cover your ass financially so that you're not crippling the program if you need to part ways.

At this point, how do you even hand the keys to Chiv and say “well, we tried to get 4-5 other guys instead of you, but they didn’t want the job ... so here you go.”

The only thing we can hope for with this **** show is that the players and coaches left after all this feel so ****ed over that they come out with a giant ****ing chip on their shoulder.

I think following ahoelsken's thought of giving him a multi-year contract with a low buyout is probably the best option at this point.

Unless they're going with Mel, where are they going to go at this point? If you hire a coach at this point in the game, what are the odds he'll even retain the assistant coaches? I think ahoolsken's post below also helps.

I think that's a great idea...give runway for things to keep rolling, but cover your ass financially so that you're not crippling the program if you need to part ways.

I think following ahoelsken's thought of giving him a multi-year contract with a low buyout is probably the best option at this point.
Jon Embree 2.0.

Jon Embree 2.0.
Maybe, maybe not. But where's the better option? So many people keep talking about hiring some middling coach and then try to qualify the idea by saying "and surround him with great assistants and recruiters". Where are those assistants/recruiters going to come from? And are they going to jump ship at their present school to come work for Bret Bielma or Jim Mora?

Why leap into the worst scenario when a myriad of other options exist?

Maybe, maybe not. But where's the better option? So many people keep talking about hiring some middling coach and then try to qualify the idea by saying "and surround him with great assistants and recruiters". Where are those assistants/recruiters going to come from? And are they going to jump ship at their present school to come work for Bret Bielma or Jim Mora?
You can't surround an unproven guy with great assistants. I would say the biggest issue with Chev is I don't know how you will find any good assistants.

Why leap into the worst scenario when a myriad of other options exist?

I suppose it's because I don't see that as the worst scenario. None of the "myriad of other options" seem like a better long term move at this time.
You can't surround an unproven guy with great assistants. I would say the biggest issue with Chev is I don't know how you will find any good assistants.

Right but you're not going to surround the other candidates I've seen with great assistants either. I think Colorado is going to have to do a lot of 'grass roots' hiring which will require a young ambitious coach who's going to grind like hell to put something good together. I'm not sure I see that option out there right now...maybe Harrell?

I suppose it's because I don't see that as the worst scenario. None of the "myriad of other options" seem like a better long term move at this time.

Right but you're not going to surround the other candidates I've seen with great assistants either. I think Colorado is going to have to do a lot of 'grass roots' hiring which will require a young ambitious coach who's going to grind like hell to put something good together. I'm not sure I see that option out there right now...maybe Harrell?
When you guys talk about “surrounding him with great assistants” who do you think is doing that? RG? Carl? The HC has to surround himself with great assistants, no one is doing it for him.

You can’t expect to hire someone like Calhoun and “surround him with great assistants” if he can’t do it himself.

When you guys talk about “surrounding him with great assistants” who do you think is doing that? RG? Carl? The HC has to surround himself with great assistants, no one is doing it for him.

You can’t expect to hire someone like Calhoun and “surround him with great assistants” if he can’t do it himself.
I think this is only an option if you give Chev the job, since he doesnt have the coaching experience.
Any other HC this would not/should not be an option.

I dont see how you can give Chev the job now you are doing another search after he interviewed the first time around

An HC with experience and who is capable would have a much better shot at bringing in assistants. Assistants want to work for proven people. It is not optional given our situation.
If you like Chev then realize this won't be good for him not in this situation.

ICYMI- Ted Gilmore is going to MSU from Wisconsin to coach Tight Ends. He was WR coach at Wiscy and was WR coach here several years ago. Several stops in between, including USC and the Raiders.

We need to have this done this week. We're too close to spring ball for this to drag into next week. The guys who are still here (Chev and Hagan aren't flight risks IMO. Mel hired the HS coach because he knew Chev would tell him to pound sand if he called. Hagan probably the same-don't they have that Brad Salem guy who's pretty well thought of?) are probably here because Melvin doesn't want to bring them to Nassar U. Mick needs to stay long-term, and he's probably earned a promotion given his efforts in recruiting. Pupunu, Tillman, and Summers? Ummmmm........if we need to get through next fall with them, I think we could. I'm looking at 2020 as somewhat of a year 0 for the incoming coach as it is after the events of the last 7-10 days.

These last few days have sucked. Can the powers that be shine mega sun rays upon the flatirons to attract a coach that is supposed to lead the team out. We have a pretty sweet recruiting class this year, now there is nobody behind the wheel of the bus. Does Gary Barnett still have some gas to coach?!

An HC with experience and who is capable would have a much better shot at bringing in assistants. Assistants want to work for proven people. It is not optional given our situation.
If you like Chev then realize this won't be good for him not in this situation.

I think it's fair to say a head coach w/experience has a better shot of bringing in good assistants, but it's not impossible for a new guy to do it. The biggest problem I see, whether it's Chev or a new coach, is that this is so late in the cycle to bring in a bunch of new assistants with < 1 month until Spring football. If you hire a new head coach, it's not crazy to think everyone currently on staff walks or gets let go. There's just so much that would need to happen in the span of three weeks.

IMO, If CU hires Calhoun it's likely his entire staff comes with him. That's the advantage of hiring an existing HC.

let me guess....you think Calhoun or Mora would be better HC's than an up and comer like Troy Walters?!!
I'm pretty sure he meant Ryan Walters, but for the record all 4 (Troy and Ryan, Calhoun, and Mora) would be absolute dumpster fires in my opinion. There are some intriguing names out there, but this ain't that.

The proximity to Spring ball is irrelevant. That spring practice schedule was established by the former head coach and can be modified as necessary by the next head coach. There is no rush to hire somebody due to when spring practices begin. I will kindly ask that nobody ever bring up how close we are to spring practice ever again. Ever. TIA.

ESPN's latest Bracketology. I so hope this happens so we can get some form of revenge. But then again, we can't have nice things so it wont happen.

1582321345914.png

The proximity to Spring ball is irrelevant. That spring practice schedule was established by the former head coach and can be modified as necessary by the next head coach. There is no rush to hire somebody due to when spring practices begin. I will kindly ask that nobody ever bring up how close we are to spring practice ever again. Ever. TIA.
Found this relevant tweet by Adam. It's more important to get the right guy in here, but it doesn't look like the next guy can push spring ball back further.

It’s an advantage only if you like their staff.

Well yeah, I assumes he likes them and it would be his decision, not RGs. Having said this, if I'm Calhoun maybe I'd try and keep Chev for a least a year, in some capacity and with some hybrid title, just for the sake of continuity with the new recruits . Chev: "Psychological Comfort Bridge". But I don't know - TC's call.

Back