What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Karl Dorrell is a good football coach who can win here. He got to four bowl games in a row at UCLA-which is more than we can say for Jon Embree, Mike MacIntyre, and Melvin. I think Chiaverini is a near lock to stay as the OC/RC, and I think he's going to keep Hagan and Michalowski in place too. Need solid closers for the holes we have and a solid coordinator defensively (because I don't think Summers is a lock to stay). Not a sexy move, but it doesn't need to be. Welcome back to Boulder KD.

They played usc once a season, but they competed against usc off the field for every important recruit in southern california. It makes a difference that jim mora was recruiting against usc when they had recruiting restrictions and a revolving door of head coaches, whereas karl dorrell was recruiting against pete carroll and the recruiting practices that led to said recruiting restrictions.
I don’t disagree but what does that tell us about Dorrell? He had to go toe to toe with a college football power and got crushed which i guess says we should be glad we hired him when USC is down?

They played usc once a season, but they competed against usc off the field for every important recruit in southern california. It makes a difference that jim mora was recruiting against usc when they had recruiting restrictions and a revolving door of head coaches, whereas karl dorrell was recruiting against pete carroll and the recruiting practices that led to said recruiting restrictions.
I take it you still think he has the connections in So Cal that he had 13 years ago. Better hope he has an Antonio or 4 in his back pocket like Herm did. I just can't get excited about a guy who couldn't climb up the ladder from being a position coach all those years if he's so good. How many players did he develope into pro bowlers let alone all pro? I ask because I don't know and I'm trying to understand this hire and how it moves CU forward and being champions. Feels like RG has punted on that idea, Mel really did a number on Rick for him to settle on KD

Some positives for you all on Dorrell.

1. Don’t think Dorrell ever missed getting UCLA into a bowl game during his time at UCLA. Got them a 10 win season. He was named Pac 10 coach of the year in 2005.

2. His last season he had a chance of getting UCLA the Pac 10 Championship all the way up to the last game of the season. They needed one more win. They were close. Granted was a very weird year for a lot of reasons, but still . . .

3. His UCLA teams had to compete head to head for recruits and on the field against Pete Carrol’s USC teams which were the most dominant teams in college football during that era.

4. He’s not a guy who is going to pull a Mel Tucker on you. He’s getting toward the end of his career and I think will be very loyal to CU for getting him this shot. Continuity is a good thing.

5. His record was really equivalent to Mora’s who everyone seemed fine with. And he was paid under $1m a year for it and had way fewer resources than Mora was ever given.

So look, I get why people aren’t over the moon, but this is a solid hire given the timing. I mean who the hell has to hire a head coach late February? He may surprise the naysayers.

5 Years $19m according to Renck...so not really.
Renck said that would be the contract for “the next coach” which was going to be Sark. He is guessing that’s what it will be for Dorrell too. I’m skeptical, but either way, it also comes with an increased AC salary pool

So they decided what the new coach was gonna make before they even picked one? That doesn't any sense at all

Huh? That is... bizarre.

Reminds when Bohn just went ahead and paid MM what he was going to Butch Jones, along with keeping the same assistant coaching salary pool.

In my opinion, as much as RG has done for CU, the effort he has put into upgrades, facilities, development and fundraising... this entire fiasco caused by MT will shed light on whether he feels he can be successful here. As wonderful as he has been, as well as dedicated, I think he will leave within 48 months. MT created this, I will not forget or forgive his destructive actions towards CU.
Interesting take, he did not handle this perfectly at all, but I think he was pretty butt hurt about what happened!
If he leaves, it better be to the PAC12 Network and the PAC12 as a whole to put his immense talent there!!!

giphy.gif

I don’t disagree but what does that tell us about Dorrell? He had to go toe to toe with a college football power and got crushed which i guess says we should be glad we hired him when USC is down?
It says maybe this guy has integrity and didn't stoop to Carroll's level just to win football games.

I take it you still think he has the connections in So Cal that he had 13 years ago. Better hope he has an Antonio or 4 in his back pocket like Herm did. I just can't get excited about a guy who couldn't climb up the ladder from being a position coach all those years if he's so good. How many players did he develope into pro bowlers let alone all pro? I ask because I don't know and I'm trying to understand this hire and how it moves CU forward and being champions. Feels like RG has punted on that idea, Mel really did a number on Rick for him to settle on KD

I think you might be surprised by some of the data around African American coaches who get fired from a coordinator/head coaching position. Very few ever get a 2nd opportunity and even fewer get a 3rd. Im not doing flips about the hire, but there are some structural/systemic issues at play here as well.

Back