What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Karl Dorrell? I don't like it but he did coach here, was a HC and had decent recruiting classes at ucla. Hope he can keep this class from blowing up.

Sad this is what it came down to but hey, we're used to stuff like this.

Just win 6 ****ing games and get to a bowl.
Because we're all dying to go to Shreveport on December 27th to watch the 6-6 Buffs play Troy.

Why does everyone give a **** what McChesney thinks, hes a glorified personal trainer. I mean he's damn good at that job, but there are a bunch of reasons he's not more than that.
It is not his opinion, he was passing along information directly from players and even opponents like UCLA. Tucker is a defensive coach and early on our defense sucked! Apparently the blitzing came about once Summers finally got his way more than Tucker.

I'm beginning to think that most of you would've bitched no matter who was named our next head coach. I'm really excited about the hire. The Miami Dolphins thought enough of Coach Dorrell to name him Assistant HC on Friday so I think that's pretty impressive. He has lots of NFL experience which recruits love and he has college HC experience in our conference. Not only that, he has experience with both CU and the Broncos so with those three different times working in CO he must like it. For all of you who were so high on Sarkisian, I'm not sure why you aren't equally impressed with Coach Dorrell. Sark's winning percentage as a college HC is .568 and Dorrell is .564 so virtually identical performances. Both had those records in the Pac 12. Both have NFL experience. As for me, I'll take Dorrell over Sarkisian any day. Sarkisian can implode at any moment due to his addiction issues while Dorrell is a much safer hire. I'm completely on board with this hire and I'm so happy this is now behind us. We have a better coach than we had last year so this is a win for us. Not only that, we're substantially increasing our assistant pay (based on what I've read) so that is outstanding news. I'm very excited to see what Coach Dorrell will do with our program!

So am I. Appreciate your perspective. I suspect the Buffs win 6 or more games next year and improve from there on. Recruiting will be a key.

Lotta gripers here. You have to take Allbuffs with some perspective. BTW, Alex Grinch? A guy who was the DC/DB coach for 3 years at that defensive powerhouse Wazzu, and who was DC at the sieve-like Oklahoma program last year, culminating in a playoff appearance in which LSU could have put up 100, but for the mercy of Ed O and his staff ? But I digress.....Allbuffs: Come for the Information, Stay for the Humor.

It is not his opinion, he was passing along information directly from players and even opponents like UCLA. Tucker is a defensive coach and early on our defense sucked! Apparently the blitzing came about once Summers finally got his way more than Tucker.

I'd be okay with the retention of Summers. Defense was the team's strength by the end of the year, and it would provide some continuity.

Alright I have a plan to make this better for those who strongly preferred Mel Tucker. I think KD is likely as good if not a better coach he just needs to copy some of those Mel Tuckerisms that Mich St paid 18 million for and you are all so enamored with.

1 Repeatedly tweet with the hashtag #RELENTLESS
2 Mention Integrity every other sentence
3 Wear shorts
4 Have a large Nike shoe collection
5 Dance when we win

I'm pretty he can do that for a lot less than 18 million, get over 5 wins and all you ass holes can chill out.

Last edited:
So am I. Appreciate your perspective. I suspect the Buffs win 6 or more games next year and improve from there on. Recruiting will be a key.

Lotta gripers here. You have to take Allbuffs with some perspective. BTW, Alex Grinch? A guy who was the DC/DB coach for 3 years at that defensive powerhouse Wazzu, and who was DC at the sieve-like Oklahoma program last year, culminating in a playoff appearance in which LSU could have put up 100, but for the mercy of Ed O and his staff ? But I digress.....Allbuffs: Come for the Information, Stay for the Humor.

I can't help you if you did not pay attention to the improvements Wazzu made under Grinch. They were 7th in the country in passing efficiency defense his final season there in 2017. I repeat: Washington State had a top ten passing efficiency defense. So yeah, maybe the guy can coach a bit.

How do you know this?

Well, just read about 10 pages of stuff. Buff fans are all over the place. My first reaction upon hearing the news was disappointment. But not because I have anything against Dorrell as much as I had my hopes up for some sort of “WOW!!” hire.

My thought is that sometimes stars align and just maybe Dorrell has spent his years as an assistant thinking about his stint as a HC and what he would do better if given another shot.

His success or failure will be greatly influenced by the staff he puts together. And putting a staff together this late will be difficult.

Late to the party here. In all honesty, Dorrell never crossed my mind. Now that I’ve had a day to let it sink in, not sure we could have done much better given the lurch CMT left us in. Sark would have bolted, Calhoun has never had to recruit and I heard a lot of people saying stay away from Bielema. Home run? Not really, but he’s been a successful HC and dynamite recruiter, pickings are very slim this time of year.

I am trying to find a positive in this hire. It’s encouraging to read some of the positive stuff people are saying. But at the same time, it’s just really a massive letdown to hire someone who was fired from UCLA and then fired from Vandy. I hope he succeeds here but sure would have been happier with someone who was a Wow kind of hire. I would have taken Jim Leavitt, Troy calhoun, Ryan Walters, DC, Ed Mcaffrey or really anyone. I just cringe at the idea of being someone’s second (or third chance) to be a coach. Our program can not afford another experiment.

Anyway, I’m going to go ahead take the plunge and renew. What the hell? I’m either going to witness a train wreck or an inspirational ride.
Well, just read about 10 pages of stuff. Buff fans are all over the place. My first reaction upon hearing the news was disappointment. But not because I have anything against Dorrell as much as I had my hopes up for some sort of “WOW!!” hire.

My thought is that sometimes stars align and just maybe Dorrell has spent his years as an assistant thinking about his stint as a HC and what he would do better if given another shot.

His success or failure will be greatly influenced by the staff he puts together. And putting a staff together this late will be difficult.
Well put

I would have taken Jim Leavitt, Troy calhoun, Ryan Walters, DC, Ed Mcaffrey or really anyone. I just cringe at the idea of being someone’s second (or third chance) to be a coach. Our program can not afford another experiment.

giphy.gif

After giving it some thought...

For 13 consecutive coaching carousels KD has been a position coach (save one year at OC at perennial powerhouse Vandy). What does that tell you? No one, except CU, was ever going to hire him as HC. I know, everyone else is dumb and RG is brilliant. Besides, KD was just biding his time for his dream job.:rolleyes:

This is/was a desperation hire. It is probably Embree 2.0. I sincerely hope not, but that is what I am expecting.

If KD is his own OC look out. For most of the time he has been in the NFL. We will likely see the WCO. The WCo doesn't work in CFB. WCO concepts can, but the WCO is too complicated to implement with the practice lmits in CFB. Expect to hear "We are going to simplify the offense" and the always popular "we need to execute" ad nauseum if the WCO is the base offense.

Successful CFB teams do not score TD's on 15 play 60 yard drives. They score on 5 play 60 yard drives. The WCo dinks and dunks its way down the field. Remember Shawn Watson's O? Get ready for more, most likely. Don't believe me? 4 out of 5 of the highest yds. per play were the 4 CFP teams. They break big plays, they do not dink and dunk down the field.

Don't even get me started on the D.

I really, really hope I am wrong. But this is not a good hire.

I am trying to find a positive in this hire. It’s encouraging to read some of the positive stuff people are saying. But at the same time, it’s just really a massive letdown to hire someone who was fired from UCLA and then fired from Vandy. I hope he succeeds here but sure would have been happier with someone who was a Wow kind of hire. I would have taken Jim Leavitt, Troy calhoun, Ryan Walters, DC, Ed Mcaffrey or really anyone. I just cringe at the idea of being someone’s second (or third chance) to be a coach. Our program can not afford another experiment.
I feel like this is the opposite of an experiment. I feel like this is a known entity of a guy Whig as a proven track record of being able to win more than he loses and be a mediocre recruiter. The hope is that he can place more emphasis on recruiting while continue winning more than he loses.

After giving it some thought...

For 13 consecutive coaching carousels KD has been a position coach (save one year at OC at perennial powerhouse Vandy). What does that tell you? No one, except CU, was ever going to hire him as HC. I know, everyone else is dumb and RG is brilliant. Besides, KD was just biding his time for his dream job.:rolleyes:

This is/was a desperation hire. It is probably Embree 2.0. I sincerely hope not, but that is what I am expecting.

If KD is his own OC look out. For most of the time he has been in the NFL. We will likely see the WCO. The WCo doesn't work in CFB. WCO concepts can, but the WCO is too complicated to implement with the practice lmits in CFB. Expect to hear "We are going to simplify the offense" and the always popular "we need to execute" ad nauseum if the WCO is the base offense.

Successful CFB teams do not score TD's on 15 play 60 yard drives. They score on 5 play 60 yard drives. The WCo dinks and dunks its way down the field. Remember Shawn Watson's O? Get ready for more, most likely. Don't believe me? 4 out of 5 of the highest yds. per play were the 4 CFP teams. They break big plays, they do not dink and dunk down the field.

Don't even get me started on the D.

I really, really hope I am wrong. But this is not a good hire.

I think the timing is perfect. We lost to UCLA at home in basketball after thinking we could win the PAC. That’s how I’d sum up this hire. I had great expectations and this hire is an absolute failure in my opinion. Destination job? I get that we couldn’t get Sark but is this really the best they could do? If they were looking for a candidate who would cause the fan base to be depressed and demoralized, this is a home run. I’m sure i will get attacked for not drinking the kool aid on this one but this is just how I feel. What a major disappointment! I hope that RG and LC read these boards and will change their minds before it’s too late.

Football program has sucked for 15 years. I am full of nothing but apathy. I would have been fine if they hired AllBuffs to coach the Buffs. Good luck new coach. The bar is pretty low around here.
I’ve had some excitement about all the football coaches we’ve hired when they started. Not this one. Not fun to be hirng a coach who others teams were so happy to be rid of.

Back