What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

It doesn't necessarily need to be sexy. The key with Dorrell will be personality (he's a very stoic man from what I remember of him when he was here-he's going to need some high energy ACs. He's also going to need a fair amount of assistants who can recruit-Chev, Mick, and Hagan are must keeps. Who does he bring in to fill the needs we have on staff? I really wanted the anti-Melvin. I read this post on 247 (so take this with a total grain of salt) and it pissed me off and made me appreciate this move even more. See below:

"But, just want to clarify that Tucker in no way shape or form thought CU was a sleeping giant.

He wrote a 20 point dossier for lack of a better term on what CU needed to do to win a championship. The problem with it was that 4-5 items would be only realistic at the top 5 programs in the country, 10 items borderline necessary and 5 had some validity. In the hiring process he made it a point to contact EB and share this with him and why he should think twice about getting involved in the CU job.

He was in Plati’s office a lot complaining about the future schedule. He wanted to buy out of the A&M game next year and could not believe we were going to play AFA in Colo Springs in the future. He wanted the Alabama schedule model and play 3 no names at home every year in the non-conference. he could not see straight we were going to FC for the next year as well.

Time will tell on what KD does or does not do at CU and everyone can have a view, not saying anything is a sure deal either way. But, the public Mel Tucker and the behind the scenes Mel Tucker were very different people."

This kind of stuff would never happen under KD. Unlike Melvin, he's been in Boulder already. He has a lot more of an idea for the challenges he's facing here than Melvin ever did, and his personality is what what we need right now. He also understands the importance of scheduling the way RG has. He's a man of character with impeccable integrity, and he knows how to sell Boulder and CU. There's a lot I like about this move-Karl Dorrell is a good football coach, and he can definitely achieve the same results here he got at UCLA.
I infer from that that our former HC will not be above playing recruiting hanky panky to influence recruits.

Please compare:

Half of the 2006 recruits received a rating of N/A from 247. How is that info remotely helpful? The original question was how the 2005 season helped recruiting. The most reliable information I can find is that it gave them the #15 class in the country which is line with their ranking.
The 2003 class isn’t rated by Rivals. It wasn’t great, so it helps your case to only use Rivals.

Even using the rankings from Rivals, compared to the P10, his recruiting was mediocre (two top 3s and two bottom 3s). You continue to ignore this reality. There’s not much else to discuss until you’re willing to engage the conversation about why UCLA twice had the third worst recruiting class in the P10. It seems to be in line with their mediocre record during that time.

The 2003 class isn’t rated by Rivals. It wasn’t great, so it helps your case to only use Rivals.

Even using the rankings from Rivals, compared to the P10, his recruiting was mediocre (two top 3s and two bottom 3s). You continue to ignore this reality. There’s not much else to discuss until you’re willing to engage the conversation about why UCLA twice had the third worst recruiting class in the P10. It seems to be in line with their mediocre record during that time.
And top 3 among USC and Cal in the mid-2000's was good. Why are you using PAC rankings? SMH.

For all the people saying RG promised we would compete for championships and feel lied to, now you know what Mel was going through. He was promised admin would admit athletes and then had multiple recruits not get in. He was promised higher salaries for coaches and they didn't deliver on that either. CU admin gives no ****s about competing for national championships.
Calling BS. Tucker was probably frustrated by these issues, but not because he was lied to, he knew rhe score coming in.

I am not misrepresenting anything. The composite ranking numbers are the composite ranking numbers. I linked the source. You can read them for yourself.

Even using the Rivals only metric, mediocre recruiting is not good enough. You think it is. We disagree.
You chose to backup your argument with a ranking system that is (for the time period) obviously flawed and misleading. I'd guess you simply didn't know 247 was trash for that time period, so no big deal. If you did know, then you are attempting to mislead, or at best don't understand recruiting rankings very well.

Not a big deal. I wouldn't have thought about the 247 thing earlier either, as it is the source I most commonly go to now.

Did our former coach tell you that or is it some rumor you read on a message board?
Former coach told my friend last night. Mel also said RG has known for months that he was unhappy about CU not letting players in and had multiple meetings with admin only to have nothing change. For the entire season CU was promising staff salary increases.

Multiple people for the HC job reached out to Mel for insight on CU.

Also said FBI working several death threats against Mel. Mel's take is people should be pissed at RG and CU admin for not honoring the promises made for Mel to come here in the first place.

I'll be in Folsom this fall regardless. I bleed black and gold. I'll just be high as a kite and drunk as a skunk by the time I get there. The tailgate is what I'll be excited for and spending time in Boulder. Probably just not the games.

I dunno. I love Chev as part of the program and as a recruiter, but damn he's a little moody/ immature sometimes.
I cannot see Chev causing damage to CU by being irrational and having any of these kids leave. I could see him lobbying for the OC job as that is his only upward trajectory role

My number one reason for renewing and continuing support is the young men who committed to the program. I support them. They took a punch to the gut and have a lot more invested than any of us do. Bitch and whine all you want, but you have a lot less to be upset about than the players and their families. Why the hell do human beings get such a cathartic feeling by complaining?

Karl Dorrell is starting with a clean slate in my mind. There are a lot of examples of people who had either been average or failed in their past who, given the right circumstance, have risen to a higher level and excelled.

Human nature to complain, we could have hired Dabo or Saban and there would still be some people complaining. Just have to win and this will settle, just wish people would watch and wait rather than act likeRG just shot their dog.

I quoted the rankings even using your beloved Rivals. It doesn’t paint a much better picture.
My last post on this, as I'm sure people are getting tired of reading it.

A #15 class in the country, despite that your neighbor is cheating and landing the top class in the country year-in and year-out, and signing recruits that you otherwise may have been able to sign, is good in my book. Call me crazy, but yeah, I prefer that picture over 11 out of 12 in the Pac 12. Give me a ****ing break.

I’m reserving judgment until the assistant coaching staff is filled out.

To recap the search, I think CU found the following:
1. No current power 5 head coach was going to jump. CU does not have the extra $20 million per year that Big Ten schools have to overpay.
2. Eric Bieniemy wanted to stay in the NFL
3. Little interest from prominent coordinators in college, with Sarkisian being the noted exception. CU made a good offer, a very rich Alabama made a better counteroffer in Sark’s eyes. Avalos had no interest according to reports. Not much about Grinch, but I think that’s the case with him too. He’ll stay at OU and leverage that for a job in the eastern half of the country.
4. CU kicked around lots of retreads and non power five coaches because it had to. Long looks were given to Bielema, Mora, and Calhoun for sure, and probably others like McElwain, perhaps Blake Anderson and the like.
5. It’s really hard to lure an NFL coordinator away since they are typically in line to get a shot as a head coach. Even some sniffing around Greg Roman of the Ravens landed him a raise.
6. Promoting from within was also an option, keeping the staff left over from Tucker. Who would Chev have landed as OC, OL coach, etc.? There are few assistants to pull from right now, fewer still willing to hitch to a first time head coach. I believe this hurt Chev in the search process.

So, playing armchair athletic director, where do you go?

Ultimately, this appeared to be Rick George’s realistic options:
1. Sarkisian (declined offer)
2. Bielema
3. Mora Jr.
4. Calhoun
5. McElwain (maybe, never saw much smoke here)
6. Karl Dorrell
7. Chev

Based on that list, I think the offer to Sark made sense. The next best option on that list was really anyones guess, but I can see the reasons why George chose Dorrell. In context of the search, it makes a lot of sense.
Who were his coordinators at UCLA? SIAP

He was in Boulder a little over a year. I have a hard time believing how awful the experience really was for him. Money talks, baby.
Coaches in demand do not sit around and wait for CU to change after CU lied to them in year 1. That is why we get coaches Hawkins, Embree, and MM and have over a decade of suck

My last post on this, as I'm sure people are getting tired of reading it.

A #15 class in the country, despite that your neighbor is cheating and landing the top class in the country year-in and year-out, and signing recruits that you otherwise may have been able to sign, is good in my book. Call me crazy, but yeah, I prefer that picture over 11 out of 12 in the Pac 12. Give me a ****ing break.
Give me a fckng break. We are here to discuss the state of the program. You’re the one here blowing **** and telling me it’s manna from heaven.

Analyze the data. It is not glowing.

Coaches in demand do not sit around and wait for CU to change after CU lied to them in year 1. That is why we get coaches Hawkins, Embree, and MM and have over a decade of suck
Ok

I'm sure it had nothing to do with a doubled salary.

I fully acknowledge things like the lack of modern facilities, the inability of assistant coaches to sign milti-year contracts and general lack of funds were structural disadvantages. However, the major issues have largely been addressed with the caveat that CU still lacks financing to rival certain conferences.

I'm sorry Rezjohn Wright didn't clear admissions, but Mel Tucker left for 5.5 million reasons.

Last edited:
I am bitter because I’ve given many, many dollars to an AD who stated that the expectations of the program are:

1. Play in and win upper tier bowl games.
2. Play for and win the P12 Championship.
3. Play for a CFP National Championship.

To gird these expectations, the AD told us that we are to recruit at the highest level.

This hire does not meet any of those criteria. There is zero evidence to suggest KD will have Colorado competing for any type of championship or recruiting at any level other than the bottom third of the conference.
He wrote this in the Strategic Plan. Hollow.

Regarding Dorrell’s brief stop at Vanderbilt, it’s important to note that assistants have been a revolving door under Mason. They’re on their 4th offensive coordinator in his tenure. Doesn’t mean I endorse the WCO, just noting that the only constant thing in Nashville has been the chronic staff turnover.

Back