What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

They probably gave him what the counter offer was going to be for Tucker. Maybe they could have offered him less but I think eliminating the perception that CU is one of the cheapest schools when it comes to coaches salaries matters.
Do that by paying your HC $1M less and going all in on the assistant pool.

Well isn’t that idillic?

It’s the AD’s job to do whatever they can to keep successful coaches happy so they want to stay - trying to circumvent that responsibility by hiring guys less inclined to leave is how you end up hiring Buffs or guys not in demand at the expense of other, potentially more qualified candidates.

I get it, you're not satisfied with any of my answers or explanations. That's fine. Who would you have preferred they hired?

Well isn’t that idillic?

It’s the AD’s job to do whatever they can to keep successful coaches happy so they want to stay - trying to circumvent that responsibility by hiring guys less inclined to leave is how you end up hiring Buffs or guys not in demand at the expense of other, potentially more qualified candidates.

*idyllic

Are the audio problems on my end or the network end - i.e. is anyone else having them?

Do that by paying your HC $1M less and going all in on the assistant pool.
Let's see, we were a week away from March, and our previous 3 offers had been monetarily trumped by other conferences...I believe RG was just trying to get a Head Coach to sign the God Damned dotted line.

I get it, you're not satisfied with any of my answers or explanations. That's fine. Who would you have preferred they hired?
You’re right, I’m not. I value winning and talent acquisition over long tenures and being a salt of the earth honest bloke.

Who would I have preferred? There’s a long list before I would have gotten to KD but for starters:

Grinch
Sark
Harrell
Tony Elliot
Wilcox
McElwain
Tosh

And honestly I wouldn’t have been thrilled with some of these guys but still would have preferred them to KD. I hope he does really well and I can eat major crow.

You’re right, I’m not. I value winning and talent acquisition over long tenures and being a salt of the earth honest bloke.

For some reason you seem unnecessarily stuck on the "loyalty" aspect of my ideal coach, when I clearly said my hope is that we have found someone who will stay as long as their success at CU allows them...because yeah, it sucks to have to search for a new coach every few years. That has never been a recipe for sustained success at any program.

I was also on record saying that Sark was my first choice. That didn't happen, so I'm choosing to be hopeful about this hire.

Wrong, it’s idillic - pickle-ish; of or like a pickle.
giphy.gif

For some reason you seem unnecessarily stuck on the "loyalty" aspect of my ideal coach, when I clearly said my hope is that we have found someone who will stay as long as their success at CU allows them...because yeah, it sucks to have to search for a new coach every few years. That has never been a recipe for sustained success at any program.

I was also on record saying that Sark was my first choice. That didn't happen, so I'm choosing to be hopeful about this hire.
I initially questioned this idea that we needed someone to bring “stability” to the program - the ensuing discussion followed on and included several posters (you included) indicating a desire to have someone who wouldn’t leave us at the first sign of success. That’s what I take issue with in your posts on this subject.

I initially questioned this idea that we needed someone to bring “stability” to the program - the ensuing discussion followed on and included several posters (you included) indicating a desire to have someone who wouldn’t leave us at the first sign of success. That’s what I take issue with in your posts on this subject.

So obviously we ALL want CU to be successful...some of us prefer a successful coach who prefers to stay, you don't mind as much if a coach bounces after some success, forcing CU to start the search over again...?

He said a lot of the right things and he seems like he is a really nice guy. It’s nice he (seems) like he is committed to CU because his affinity for the campus and the state, but affinity doesn’t win games or recruit.

He seems very genuine and if its all true and he builds his vision and builds a winning team, great for him, even better for us. I’d love nothing more than to be wrong about him and have a guy committed here for a long time and be successful.

I still have my doubts and a lot of them but I don’t feel as bad today as I did 2 days ago.

So obviously we ALL want CU to be successful...some of us prefer a successful coach who prefers to stay, you don't mind as much if a coach bounces after some success, forcing CU to start the search over again...?
I think people are overreacting to a situation with Tucker that is highly unusual. I would love someone successful to stay a long time but that takes a serious backseat to someone who can stock the roster with talent and win games. The average tenure of a college coach is like 4 years, you have to be prepared for coaches to leave. There aren’t many Kirk Ferentz’s out there and I’m not sure we should be searching for that.

I wouldn’t care if CU was a revolving door of yearly head coaches if they became a winning program every season. Reality is we’re never going to be Michigan, OSU or any of the other blue bloods. If we get lucky like Clemson you can crest something but that’s highly unlikely. Winning coaches will stay if winning is really high.

I wouldn’t care if CU was a revolving door of yearly head coaches if they became a winning program every season. Reality is we’re never going to be Michigan, OSU or any of the other blue bloods. If we get lucky like Clemson you can crest something but that’s highly unlikely. Winning coaches will stay if winning is really high.
Hey, we’ve already accomplished it. Regarding the Clemson reference.

Back