What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karma to Coach Prime

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Thread to send our prayers, well wishes or positive vibes (however you roll) to Coach Prime as he faces another major surgery for his foot condition.

The way he man's up and faces challenges like this without it impacting his work is inspiring.

Karma, Coach.

can anyone tell me what the deal is with the foot? I know its serious but I dont understand the details

can anyone tell me what the deal is with the foot? I know its serious but I dont understand the details
Due to paying through injuries at the end of his career, he was suffering from clotting issues and numbness and found out his lower extremity had been dislocated for over 2 decades causing nerve and vascular problems. He takes like 30 pills a day and the previous surgery + medication have not fixed the degeneration and necrosis.

Prime gets foot amputated….

Get fit for world class prosthetic….

Regains god given speed….

Competes in the special Olympics and wins a gold medal?

Prime gets foot amputated….

Get fit for world class prosthetic….

Regains god given speed….

Competes in the special Olympics and wins a gold medal?
Angry Son Of A Bitch GIF by CBS

Just read this news and figured it had been posted. I’ll be praying for Prime. I know his attitude and faith will get him through this.

It will suck seeing him on the sidelines in a wheelchair if it comes to that, although he has done it before. I'm wishing it doesn't come to that and whatever is causing the blood clots in his foot can be taken care of by other means.

It will suck seeing him on the sidelines in a wheelchair if it comes to that, although he has done it before. I'm wishing it doesn't come to that and whatever is causing the blood clots in his foot can be taken care of by other means.
Given the mobility challenges he already has and the ongoing vascular issues, a prosthetic may ultimately be a better solution. I certainly don't want it to come to that, but I know those with prosthetics who aren't slowed down one bit.

Bottom line is that he's not getting adequate blood flow to the foot to keep the tissue alive. They mention in the article that his doctors are vascular surgeons. They are probably trying to figure out if they can either open up his current arteries or bypass the blockages with some sort of graft. The problem is that your arteries get smaller the farther they are from the heart and those in the foot are about 2 mm. Once problems begin, it's tough to keep them open without shutting down again.

I pray he keeps his foot. However, if he loses it and ends up in a prosthetic limb, I hope he is open and proud without an ounce of shame. Matrob is right: people thrive with them.

I used to be a scout leader and I once asked two brothers to come speak to the boys. They had lost their legs in a car accident and both of them were fit, energetic dudes who competed and won medals at the para-olympics. I did this because there when I was about ten, there was a very nice lady in my neighborhood who was missing a leg. I had to collect money from her each month on my paper route and she scared me, for no reason other than her missing leg. I brought those two para-olympians in front of the scouts and celebrated how bad-ass they are because I wanted to rid the boys of that stigma from a young age.

If Coach loses his foot, he can teach the same lesson on a massive scale.

Bottom line is that he's not getting adequate blood flow to the foot to keep the tissue alive. They mention in the article that his doctors are vascular surgeons. They are probably trying to figure out if they can either open up his current arteries or bypass the blockages with some sort of graft. The problem is that your arteries get smaller the farther they are from the heart and those in the foot are about 2 mm. Once problems begin, it's tough to keep them open without shutting down again.

I pray he keeps his foot. However, if he loses it and ends up in a prosthetic limb, I hope he is open and proud without an ounce of shame. Matrob is right: people thrive with them.

I used to be a scout leader and I once asked two brothers to come speak to the boys. They had lost their legs in a car accident and both of them were fit, energetic dudes who competed and won medals at the para-olympics. I did this because there when I was about ten, there was a very nice lady in my neighborhood who was missing a leg. I had to collect money from her each month on my paper route and she scared me, for no reason other than her missing leg. I brought those two para-olympians in front of the scouts and celebrated how bad-ass they are because I wanted to rid the boys of that stigma from a young age.

If Coach loses his foot, he can teach the same lesson on a massive scale.
I clearly remember that. They’d stopped to help a girl whose car was broken down and were, I think, trying to push her car when another car hit them. The one kid was on the US Paralympic hockey team. I think they’d been wrestlers before they were injured.

I clearly remember that. They’d stopped to help a girl whose car was broken down and were, I think, trying to push her car when another car hit them. The one kid was on the US Paralympic hockey team. I think they’d been wrestlers before they were injured.
They’re from Berthoud. My daughter went to high school with them.

Reactions: DBT
That's them, exactly! Great guys and so good with the scouts.

Reactions: DBT
This may be insensitive, but he might actually be more mobile with a prosthetic then with what he's dealing with right now
I guess it depends on what you want to be able to do activity wise. Having already lost his big toe his foot mechanics are probably terrible and hes likely compensating by adjusting his gate. That adjustment likely leads to an issue in another joint like a hip replacement and or a knee replacement. So im in agreement that amputation and a prosthetic could be the best long term outcome to correct his gait.

When I found out about his toes I had some serious concerns about his long term viability as a coach. Thats a lot of walking daily.

My wife has seen the emergency procedure he had done on his calf in the ER. What he has with the clots can spiral into additional issues as it likely is now.

This whole thing started as turf toe if memory serves in the Shannon Sharpe interview. I know we all love this sport for the thuggery in it. But the careers for most are quite short and a lifetime of issues persist. One of my fathers friends played LB for MSU around the time of their 1960s mNC. He has had shoulders, hips, and knees replaced. Never made it to the NFL.

... if he loses it and ends up in a prosthetic limb, I hope he is open and proud without an ounce of shame. ...
I follow several athletes on SM who have overcome significant medical issues or have disabilities. I find them amazing and inspiring.

If it comes to it, Sanders could be incredibly inspiring for many people with physical limitations.

I do absolutely wish him the best.

Coach Prime being the motivator that he is, may use the outcome of his surgery to further motivate the team as well as those who have experienced the same surgery. I don't see this slowing him down at all.

Back