What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Klatt ripping coaching staff yet again

I have always like JK but I knew we were in for a long day Saturday when at the very beginning of the broadcast, his partner asked him a direct question about what its like playing in a rivaly game this this and he totally ignored the question and went on to talk about something totally unrelated. Seems his head has gotten a bit large these days.

I kinda like him on game broadcasts as well, except for last weekend. He was slobberknocking fairhawk as an "offensive genius". Yeah, Joel, he's so much of a genius the lammies scored a whopping 14 points. Klatt did himself no favors last Saturday.

Something that both CJ and JK do. When they're heaping praise on someone, you can pretty much assume that they're trying to be supportive because they see it as part of their job (something to sell for the good of ratings or pleasing advertisers) but that they are completely full of ****.

Honestly, I think he fancies himself as a better "coach" than some on the staff. He concluded his rant with a bunch of coach speak about "opening 5 to 7 on his drops. If you don't know, imagine a clock with 12 being straight ahead and 6 behind you. When you drop back, you have to open 5 to 7! IT TAKES NO SKILL!! IT'S A LACK OF COACHING!!!!" Chill out!

I always hate when former jocks rely on footballspeak, 5 to 7, A,B,C Gaps, Red Dog Alley, Tertiary Plane, etc. It's a smokescreen so they think they'll sound more knowledgeable to the listeners.

I always hate when former jocks rely on footballspeak, 5 to 7, A,B,C Gaps, Red Dog Alley, Tertiary Plane, etc. It's a smokescreen so they think they'll sound more knowledgeable to the listeners.

In the same vein as HaLkins "double-eagle-bear" quote.

My take is that Hansen does have some major footwork problems that effect his accuracy. He also is much to eager to leave the pocket and when he does he never sets his feet. I think the problem is two-fold: (1) Lack of consistent pass protection up front makes for a very shell-shocked and gun-shy qb with happy feet; (2) relative inexperience and a lack of coaching before last spring. I really do not think anyone on Hawk's staff worked with this kid on his fundamentals. Football requires constant detailed repetitions of footwork at all positions and especially at quarterback. At this point TH is too worried about running the right play and making the right read and his footwork has not become instinctive because he has not done it enough. How many 5 steps drops from under center were there in Hawkins shot-gun happy offense? The kid really has not had the experience to do what he is being asked to do and he is getting hit too much to develop it. I hope this will improve along with the pass protection and more repetitions. That said, I think it is easy but clearly wrong to blame Rip Scherer for this. He is doing whatever he can with a limited amount of time he has had which basically amounts to a few months of practice. It takes years to get this right even when a kid doesn't have any bad habits.

My take is that Hansen does have some major footwork problems that effect his accuracy. He also is much to eager to leave the pocket and when he does he never sets his feet. I think the problem is two-fold: (1) Lack of consistent pass protection up front makes for a very shell-shocked and gun-shy qb with happy feet; (2) relative inexperience and a lack of coaching before last spring. I really do not think anyone on Hawk's staff worked with this kid on his fundamentals. Football requires constant detailed repetitions of footwork at all positions and especially at quarterback. At this point TH is too worried about running the right play and making the right read and his footwork has not become instinctive because he has not done it enough. How many 5 steps drops from under center were there in Hawkins shot-gun happy offense? The kid really has not had the experience to do what he is being asked to do and he is getting hit too much to develop it. I hope this will improve along with the pass protection and more repetitions. That said, I think it is easy but clearly wrong to blame Rip Scherer for this. He is doing whatever he can with a limited amount of time he has had which basically amounts to a few months of practice. It takes years to get this right even when a kid doesn't have any bad habits.

Hard to argue with anything in this post.

I'd add to the "gun-shy" thing by saying that I think it took about a quarter and a half of game time before Hansen was mentally past the ruptured spleen play that ended his 2010 season.

Hard to argue with anything in this post.

I'd add to the "gun-shy" thing by saying that I think it took about a quarter and a half of game time before Hansen was mentally past the ruptured spleen play that ended his 2010 season.
+1. That dive in the 1st half of the Cal game was BAD.

I appreciate the input from Wyo and others who have played at this level. I'm just an interwebz connected, college football junkie, and I eat up this kind of info.

It didn't dawn on me at the time, but I remember seeing something last Saturday -- in between plays, TH walked towards the sidelines and the camera did a close up. You could see Tyler looking, then creasing his brows a bit, and then a few seconds later he turned and went to the huddle. I can't imagine how much harder it is for him (and the other qb's, tho to a lesser degree since they aren't starting) not only learning a new system, but getting everything right when he communicates it in the huddle. Then, he's got to go and orchestrate the entire offense.

Does TH have room for improvement? Heck yeah, and I'm sure he will. It's gonna take some time for it all to become second nature to him at which point, as Wyo said, the instincts can kick in.

I have always like JK but I knew we were in for a long day Saturday when at the very beginning of the broadcast, his partner asked him a direct question about what its like playing in a rivaly game this this and he totally ignored the question and went on to talk about something totally unrelated. Seems his head has gotten a bit large these days.

Klatts head has gotten bigger every year he's had this radio show. I wonder if he would come down to earth a little bit more if CJ decided to not be part of the show?

Klatts head has gotten bigger every year he's had this radio show. I wonder if he would come down to earth a little bit more if CJ decided to not be part of the show?

You think that CJ being so level-headed makes him the "straight man" to Joel's schtick?

I kind of hate seeing JK getting ripped so much, especially since I started it, because I was always a fan of his. I thought he never got enough credit for his ability as a QB. Last year his anti Hawk rants were a big factor in my disdain for anti Hawk rants. Of course, you all know how my anti rant rants went, :lol: I blame Klatt!

I kind of hate seeing JK getting ripped so much, especially since I started it, because I was always a fan of his. I thought he never got enough credit for his ability as a QB. Last year his anti Hawk rants were a big factor in my disdain for anti Hawk rants. Of course, you all know how my anti rant rants went, :lol: I blame Klatt!

so its Klatt's fault you were so annoying?

I don't think TH's footwork is perfect, or even solid, it's the way Klatt says **** that pisses me off.

:nod:
Klatt's the poster child for what was going wrong when the program went into serious decline. Guys at the top who had such over-inflated opinions of themselves that they couldn't see all the **** that was wrong with the program.

I also wonder about Alfred and The Fan. I love Big Al. But with Schlereth on the show, they kowtow to the NFL. Al seems to rarely talk about CU. Understandible but a bummer. Actually, Mac and Doog do more CU talk than the three former Buffs combined.

Don't agree with Klatt's take on Hansen, but it's funny how it brings so much up so much hate towards the guy. Alumni love to eat their own in the media, probably because they expect them to be perfect--be objective AND be in perfect agreement with their team's fanbase. Ask Herbstreit why he had to move to Nashville from Columbus--to the nation he's a polished, unoffensive talking head, to a portion of Buckeye fans, he was public enemy #1. Klatt's filling 20 hrs of air time a week(including game broadcasts), he's going to throw some sh*t out that nobody agrees with or is annoying. And CJ's great, but one of the reason's he doesn't annoy anybody is he doesn't say anything of consequence, which balances out Klatt's ego and mudslinging and makes for a somewhat entertaining radio team.

Just lower your expectations and he doesn't seem so bad. I'd rather listen to Klatt, who wants to talk CU, cares about the program, and knows a bit about the team over a d-bag sports shockjock who only throws a few segments of Buff talk in to break up the non-stop Broncos talk.

Don't agree with Klatt's take on Hansen, but it's funny how it brings so much up so much hate towards the guy.
Joel has a lot of talent and can be very engaging. BUT he is also full of himself, comes across as ambitious, and is willing to throw CU under the bus in order to meet his goals. It's one thing to criticize your former school objectively. It's another to rip them for apparent self aggrandizement. As for CJ, I wish he'd stop trying to be the agreeable sidekick and step up.

Thing is, when Klatt ripped the coaching for Hansen's issues, the only way I see for CJ to defend the coaches would be to criticize Hansen.

Last edited:
Personally, when you bring up Klatt's or Alfred's talk on the radio, you have to take into account what their bosses want. The Fan has no use for CU or any regional college football teams at all. Alfred probably talks about CU as much as he's able. The Ticket at least realizes there are college athletics in the area, and in particular at CU. BUT, be that as it may, they probably don't want a show featuring two bobbleheads continuously sucking off CU, as much as we would probably think it was fine. CJ, of course, is the ultimate CU homer, which is great (and I wish there were more of them in the Denver market instead of ****heads like Evans and Clough who love to take pot-shots at the university), but it puts Klatt in the unenviable task of having to balance it out. Is he arrogant and ambitious? Sure, but I'm pretty sure most tv/radio guys his age are. As for his coverage of the CU/CSU game, it's a joke putting him or any alum in the booth for that game. They're either going to be total homers and do a ****** job, or try to overcompensate to not come across as a homer and do a ****** job. Klatt chose option b. In non-CU games, I have seen him do a fine job.

Back