What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Know Your Rivalry survey

I didn't look into the methodology, but I did notice that Nebraska was well ahead of Colorado State in the aggregate rankings. I am a bit worried that the current players will underestimate the importance of the rivalry between Colorado and Nebraska when they play in the upcoming years. Though Nebraska's relevance on the national stage has diminished over the last 10 years, I want nothing more then to beat the s*** out of them whenever we play. I wonder how this hope and hate can be translated to students, players, and alumni younger than me.

Interesting that Arizona was so high on the list, but it does seem that we end up with a decent season when we beat them. I guess it's a mid-season PAC south win that either salvages a bad season or a win that leads leads to something better.

I clicked on Nebraska to see who they consider rivals and I noticed that none of their rivals hate Nebraska even a third as much as we hate the cornholers.

That's really cool. A few thoughts:
  • We hate Nebraska, they don't think about us a lot. CSU hates us, we hate them less. Wyoming hates CSU, CSU hates them less.
  • Really interesting how the P12 move has changed us- outside of the nubs, not a single team from the B12 made our rankings. Compare that with the nubs, who have 5 teams from the B12 in their rankings, Missouri (also 5), A&M (6). We also don't appear on the list for any current B12 school.
  • I wonder how these numbers would (will?) change if CU is good for a few years in football. Our fanbase can be as obnoxious as any in the land when CU's good.

It seems like the Utah-CU rivalry is more mutal and even the Buffs are ahead of Utah State on Utah's list. That should be going up since we already kept them out of the first CCG and they couldn't keep us out of our first CCG. CSU and Utah had no love for each other in Utah's MWC days. That has already or will transfer to CU fans. It's the natural rivalry that Colorado and Utah has. And they have the same colors as those Cornholers have.

I came from a Sooner family and the first time I watched the OU-Nebraska game in1988, those Cornholers beat the Sooners and that is where my hate for them begun. That was a year after I moved to CO from Texas as a little boy and then a year later, the Buffs beat the Cornholers much to my delight.

Just based on the way the schedule sets up, the game against Utah every year should be very meaningful for division titles, bowl positioning and/or bowl eligibility for one or both teams every year. With 63 historical meetings in a very close series (CU leads 32-28-3) to go with that scheduling, this will only grow as a rivalry. It's inevitable.

Just based on the way the schedule sets up, the game against Utah every year should be very meaningful for division titles, bowl positioning and/or bowl eligibility for one or both teams every year. With 63 historical meetings in a very close series (CU leads 32-28-3) to go with that scheduling, this will only grow as a rivalry. It's inevitable.

Agree completely. I thought until last year the only thing this series needed to take the intensity up a couple notches was to play a few games that meant more than pride for us.

This.

Haven't given a hoot about those Cornholers since CU and the Nubs parted ways.

Good thing they raised the speed limit on I-80 to 85. Will take less than four hours to get out of that state.

The Utah game should grow in rivalry points...but it will never supersede the Holy War...which is okay. I think it's interesting our scores for each other were about the same.

Check out the most unbalanced rivalries...kinda interesting.

And the rivalry with the largest combined score is....AU v ASU. Weird to me...

• I wonder how these numbers would (will?) change if CU is good for a few years in football. Our fanbase can be as obnoxious as any in the land when CU's good.
[/QUOTE]
That's a good point about our fanbase and you can look no further than Nebraska for proof of that. The Nebraska fans don't seem to have much animosity for the CU teams, coaches, etc. But they freaking HATE Buff Nation. Its the first thing they whine about whenever the Buffs are mentioned.

Personally, I hate the Nubs for three reasons: 1.) Half the state moves to Colorado to find work and I just get so sick of seeing Nebraska Red in my home state. 2.) The self-righteous way they piss & moan about CU fans, as mentioned above. 3.) Their ability to trot out a kicker that looks like a back-up, walk-on fullback and have him drill field goals from 40 yards in. I freaking HATE that!!!

That's a good point about our fanbase and you can look no further than Nebraska for proof of that. The Nebraska fans don't seem to have much animosity for the CU teams, coaches, etc. But they freaking HATE Buff Nation. Its the first thing they whine about whenever the Buffs are mentioned.

Personally, I hate the Nubs for three reasons: 1.) Half the state moves to Colorado to find work and I just get so sick of seeing Nebraska Red in my home state. 2.) The self-righteous way they piss & moan about CU fans, as mentioned above. 3.) Their ability to trot out a kicker that looks like a back-up, walk-on fullback and have him drill field goals from 40 yards in. I freaking HATE that!!!

You don't think kickers should juice like any other player on the team?

Interesting Husker Radio show the other day was putting together a New World Order for College Football that only chose 32 Programs/Teams for it. Essentially cleaning out all the dead weight in the conferences and creating a Super College Football Setup. They did not have specific criteria, but they were thinking about media market, tradition, power, fanbase, reputation, tv ratings, and other normal factors. They started by splitting everyone into 3 lists. List #1 was the FOR SURE programs, such as Alabama and Ohio State, etc... List #2 was the NO WAY programs, such as Vanderbilt, Kansas, or Iowa State. List #3 was the MAYBE list. So, List #1 filled up about 24 teams. List #3 had about 24 teams in it, which had to be reduced down to the final 8. The one announcer that is an actually pretty level headed guy mentioned Colorado multiple times based on tradition (minus the decade of hell), and of course the Denver Media Market. The other Moron could not even talk himself into the Buffs, and chose some other programs that will make you all pissed as hell. LOUISVILLE, BYU, UCLA, and was considering MINNESOTA for a while. In the end the smarter guy easily chose CU, while the stupid one NEVER chose the Buffs!!! Hate the color RED, Hate the Nubs, definitely want to kill them in 2018!!!

Interesting Husker Radio show the other day was putting together a New World Order for College Football that only chose 32 Programs/Teams for it. Essentially cleaning out all the dead weight in the conferences and creating a Super College Football Setup. They did not have specific criteria, but they were thinking about media market, tradition, power, fanbase, reputation, tv ratings, and other normal factors. They started by splitting everyone into 3 lists. List #1 was the FOR SURE programs, such as Alabama and Ohio State, etc... List #2 was the NO WAY programs, such as Vanderbilt, Kansas, or Iowa State. List #3 was the MAYBE list. So, List #1 filled up about 24 teams. List #3 had about 24 teams in it, which had to be reduced down to the final 8. The one announcer that is an actually pretty level headed guy mentioned Colorado multiple times based on tradition (minus the decade of hell), and of course the Denver Media Market. The other Moron could not even talk himself into the Buffs, and chose some other programs that will make you all pissed as hell. LOUISVILLE, BYU, UCLA, and was considering MINNESOTA for a while. In the end the smarter guy easily chose CU, while the stupid one NEVER chose the Buffs!!! Hate the color RED, Hate the Nubs, definitely want to kill them in 2018!!!
Did either of them bring up the fact that a new world based on program trends and media markets may actually exclude the Nubs?

I consider it a resounding success when Colorado fans still consider Nebraska a hated rival and Nebraska fans don't see the need to reciprocate.

How's the Utah rivalry going? Seems forced like what the B1G is trying to do with the Nebraska vs Iowa game.

Did either of them bring up the fact that a new world based on program trends and media markets may actually exclude the Nubs?

They initially of course included themselves in the top 24 based on the blind love of the color red. However, they were smart enough to mention that as far as TV Contracts, National Exposure, and other factors could put them at risk to fall into the bottom of the list or possibly off of it. In a perfect world, they would be off the list, and programs like HOUSTON, UNLV, and even MINNESOTA would actually override the Skers if only the perfect factors were included. Ironically, they also mentioned that certain Rivalries would pull certain programs into the super conference, such as Auburn being brought in by Alabama, and the reason they mentioned UCLA was that USC would suck them in. I do not buy that and would argue that Auburn and UCLA would not be needed!!!

My Super 32 would be:

ALABAMA, CLEMSON, FLORIDA STATE, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, MIAMI, TEXAS, OKLAHOMA, MICHIGAN, OHIO STATE, PENN STATE, WISCONSIN, USC, WASHINGTON, COLORADO, ARIZONA STATE, HOUSTON, STANFORD, LSU, IOWA, NOTRE DAME, OREGON, KANSAS STATE, MISSOURI, TENNESSEE, TEXAS A&M, OLE MISS, SOUTH CAROLINA, and the final 3 spots would be argued between:

NEBRASKA, UCLA, PITTSBURGH, TCU, MINNESOTA, BYU, LOUISVILLE, MICHIGAN STATE, and UNLV

I actually thought of this College Super 32 as the minor league teams of the NFL???

They initially of course included themselves in the top 24 based on the blind love of the color red. However, they were smart enough to mention that as far as TV Contracts, National Exposure, and other factors could put them at risk to fall into the bottom of the list or possibly off of it. In a perfect world, they would be off the list, and programs like HOUSTON, UNLV, and even MINNESOTA would actually override the Skers if only the perfect factors were included. Ironically, they also mentioned that certain Rivalries would pull certain programs into the super conference, such as Auburn being brought in by Alabama, and the reason they mentioned UCLA was that USC would suck them in. I do not buy that and would argue that Auburn and UCLA would not be needed!!!

My Super 32 would be:

ALABAMA, CLEMSON, FLORIDA STATE, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, MIAMI, TEXAS, OKLAHOMA, MICHIGAN, OHIO STATE, PENN STATE, WISCONSIN, USC, WASHINGTON, COLORADO, ARIZONA STATE, HOUSTON, STANFORD, LSU, IOWA, NOTRE DAME, OREGON, KANSAS STATE, MISSOURI, TENNESSEE, TEXAS A&M, OLE MISS, SOUTH CAROLINA, and the final 3 spots would be argued between:

NEBRASKA, UCLA, PITTSBURGH, TCU, MINNESOTA, BYU, LOUISVILLE, MICHIGAN STATE, and UNLV

I actually thought of this College Super 32 as the minor league teams of the NFL???

Forgot to add AUBURN in the final list... AND, probably forgot to just put ARKANSAS in!!!

Denver Broncos = Colorado Buffaloes
Kansas City Chiefs = Kansas State Wildcats
LA Chargers = USC Trojans
Oakland Raiders = Oregon Ducks
San Francisco 49ers = Stanford Cardinals
LA Rams = Missouri Tigers (St Louis Connection)
Seattle Seahawks = Washington Huskies
Arizona Cardinals = Arizona State Sun Devils
Houston Texans = Houston Cougars
Indianapolis Colts = Iowa Hawkeyes
Tennessee Titans = Tennessee Volunteers
Jacksonville Jaguars = Florida State Seminoles
Minnesota Vikings = Minnesota Golden Gophers
Green Bay Packers = Wisconsin Badgers
Detroit Lions = Michigan Wolverines
Chicago Bears = Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Miami Dolphins = Miami Hurricanes
New England Patriots = Alabama Crimson Tide (Ironic Connection)
Buffalo Bills = Ohio State Buckeyes
Pittsburgh Steelers = Penn State Nittany Lions
Dallas Cowboys = Texas Longhorns
Atlanta Falcons = Georgia Bulldogs
New Orleans Saints = LSU Tigers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers = Florida Gators
Carolina Panthers = Clemson Tigers

NY Jets, NY Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins = Choice of OKLAHOMA, TEXAS A&M, SOUTH CAROLINA, OLE MISS, AUBURN, or ARKANSAS
The Northeast NFL block of teams matches up with the Southeast and Southern block of College teams.

With this exercise, I have officially eliminated the Huskers!!! Exactly what should happen!!!

I consider it a resounding success when Colorado fans still consider Nebraska a hated rival and Nebraska fans don't see the need to reciprocate.

How's the Utah rivalry going? Seems forced like what the B1G is trying to do with the Nebraska vs Iowa game.

Isn't it kind of ironic that Utah's colors match Nebraska's colors and Iowa matches CU's colors to a degree? And both CU & NU have new rivals with just four letters in the state's name?

CU-Utah is warming up...those Utes can't like the fact that we denied them a spot in the first P12 CCG and couldn't stop CU from going to the CCG last season. It's hotter on the basketball side where both teams have been decent so it'll get there. Those Iowa fans still haven't shoved grandmothers down the stairs, put batteries in snowballs, and tossed urine bombs yet?

Are Nebraskans having to stop at the Iowa DMV to get Iowa license plates?

Last edited:
i think Utah could grow into a nice rivalry. they beat us a couple times in hoops i didn't like. i liked the win last year at Folsom.

i like the direction CU is going a lot more and the Pac than the Mike Riley Huskers in the Big 10. no one in Chicago or the Great Lakes cares about the Bugeaters much. Riley is a career 8-9 win guy. that's what he gives them. same as Bo Pelini, same as Bill Callahan, same as Frankie....

i sort of miss the Mizzou-Kansas rivalry. those people don't like each other at all going back to the Civil War. really, underrated rivalry. was a good basketball series and since the football game didn't usually mean much.....all about the hate.

Yep, you don't think about us at all anymore....

Yeah. I don't think most Nebraska fans fully appreciate how much we hated you and how much that still lingers for CU fans over 25 years old.

Back