What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime effect

I have a shades addiction, so I ordered these, the black P21ME’s and another pair with the 40% off sale. Still less expensive than the last pair of sunglasses I bought over 2 years ago…
I'm addicted to Ray-Ban that is all I have worn for over 30 years, prior to that it was Vuarnet.
Are these just costume shades are do they work?
serious question

If I’m outside, I’m walking, not looking at my phone. Never noticed a problem seeing my screen while wearing sunglasses.
Welp, Grandpa. You can’t see your screen with polarized sunglasses on. But if that doesn’t matter, and you don’t drive a car with a heads up display, no issues!

Why would you want polarized sunglasses when you can't see your phone screen or your heads up display in your car?
I tend to look at other things when using sunglasses.
Mean Girls 90S GIF by Baywatch

(Baywatch gif search was worth this mediocre joke )

I use my phone with polarized glasses all the time no problem. You sure you don’t have ****ty sunglasses?
The dude that sells glasses at the eye doctor tried to convince me you can now “basically” read phones with polarized prescription sunglasses. My response was “what about the heads up display in my car”. He then said “Well, you’ve got me there…”

Maybe one day every type of screen will be readable with polarized sunglasses.

The little tiny town in Maryland where we keep our boat has one store. It's a very small combination liquor and grocery store - maybe 600 sqft. There's a gas station and a couple restaurants.

I've been wearing my CU gear regularly here for 10 or so years. Never a single comment.

Until last weekend...

Now I can't go anywhere without hearing something positive.

Serious question. Do pilots wear polarized glasses?
Sometimes. Then they go “****, I can’t see my instruments, navigation panels, or out the windscreen”, then take them off and squint for the next few hours. It typically only happens once per pilot.

edit: context - when flying tactical aircraft, we usually wear helmets and dark visors (you’ll see folks with prescription glasses, but those aren’t polarized. But some of our other planes - P-8, C-130, T-44 (which I fly now as well as the T-6) it’s just a headset and sunglasses. my first flight in the T-44, I just wore the sunglasses I was wearing that day, and I couldn’t see anything so I had to take them off. Had to switch to my non-polarized Ray Ban Wayfarers that I specifically brought get for my Air Boss tour, where, first day I was in the tower I was wearing polarized wrap around sunglasses - couldn’t see out the window and the lenses kept fogging up. Switched to the wayfarers for the side ventilation and plain lens.

Last edited:
I'm addicted to Ray-Ban that is all I have worn for over 30 years, prior to that it was Vuarnet.
Are these just costume shades are do they work?
serious question

Ray-ban’s quality has gone down since the Luxotica takeover. Try Randolf Engineering. They are a much better value
Check out Shady Rays. Quality is very similar plus it’s a lifetime warranty. For anything lol. If you lose them, replaced for free. They have a ton of different styles including wayfarer style ones. Also much more reasonable price

Back