What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lappe adds Sborov to CU's 2011 class

RSSBot

News Junkie
First-year Colorado women`s basketball coach Linda Lappe has said she hopes to sign at least four recruits in November`s early signing period, and it appears she`s half way there.

More...

Here's what ESPN said about Jasmine Soborov:

"Jasmine is a big, versatile, athletic player who can finish in the paint, extended the defense and play multiple positions in a variety of systems," Davis-Wrightsil said in an email. "She has a nice mid-range pull up shot and her jumping ability is way above average. Her multidimensional game will serve her well as Colorado transitions from the Big XII to the Pac-10. In a conference of skilled players, Jasmine will be able to showcase her talents by bringing a nice blend of skill, athleticism and speed to the conference.

It was good to read that Lappe is looking to get our team up to the 15 scholarship limit. Ridiculous that we've been at 12. We need to find 4 more this class (2 early period and 2 late.)

Looking at the roster during last season plus the incoming 2010 class, the WBB team would have been at 15, not 12.But Fressle's transfer and the decisions by 2 others who were completing their degrees to not come back for their 5th years of athletics eligibility cut into that number.

BeBe,

Didn't we know for the spring recruiting period that those players wouldn't be back? Houston had quit and I thought Fressle announced her intentions pretty early. I don't remember on Mullaney.

On the other side, wasn't there a chance Dunn could have come back for another year, too, even though she was a senior? I think I remember something on that, but we may have known she was definitely moving on.

You are right. Very likely Lappe knew all of this once she took over the team in April if not before. But that is way late to start recruiting for the 2010 spring signing period. Remember, she came from a DII schooll, so kids she had established relationships with from her former job would not be the level of talent she would need at CU. I remember a comment from her to the effect that she would not sign players in the spring just to get more bodies; they needed to be players she felt could compete at this level. The post player she did sign is one that the previous coaching staff had already been recruiting at least at some level.

Boyle had a distinct advantage in this area. The pool of talent in the high school boys is much deeper than in girls and he was already recruiting for a DI school that had been to the NCAA's. So I have to believe he had a lot more usable relationships established than she had.

I think the real test for Lappe will be the 2012 class, since starting in April 2010 was even quite late for the 2011 class, at least on the girls side, since so many of the better players commit in the early period and many had already verballed or were down to their 'short list' by the time she was hired. And it's not like CU had any significant recent history of success for her to sell to recruits!

Back