What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles - Former HC OSU/LSU/Kansas

I get you love Miles, but huge fail if we hire anyone else? Come on.

Not what I said Duff! I am personally setting myself up for a fail if its not Les Miles because I love the sound of it. RG may hire Lake and in 2-3 years it works out great, which would be awesome. I am not calling any other hire a possible fail.

I am all in all Miles and would love to see it. I will not be devestated if it is not him and will keep a very open mind. I have a ton of faith in RG, right or wrong. I think we are going to make a solid move up in quality and expectation with the program. Excited to see where the process goes.

Not what I said Duff! I am personally setting myself up for a fail if its not Les Miles because I love the sound of it. RG may hire Lake and in 2-3 years it works out great, which would be awesome. I am not calling any other hire a possible fail.

it shouldn't take 2-3 years to turn out great no matter who we hire

I’m aware know one likes the guy but I think Todd Graham is an underrated candidate whether at CU or elsewhere.

In 12 seasons as a head coach he’s had 5 seasons with 10 or more wins including twice at ASU. He’s made a bowl game in 10 seasons and missed a bowl by one game in the two other seasons. Overall record of 95-61 including 46-32 at ASU.

He’s also shown the ability to hire quality assistants. There are 7 of his former assistants who are currently D-1 head coaches- Auburn, Arkansas, Kansas, Houston, Memphis, Nevada, and Louisiana. And Chip Long will be a head coach soon. By comparison MacIntyre has never hired anyone who has become a head coach.

I am all in all Miles and would love to see it. I will not be devestated if it is not him and will keep a very open mind. I have a ton of faith in RG, right or wrong. I think we are going to make a solid move up in quality and expectation with the program. Excited to see where the process goes.
Les is my choice as well. I'd be quite upset if he ends up at Kansas or North Carolina. Those are basketball schools.

I really think Les here would be very similar to Mack Brown at UT. Great with donors, great with the media, great closing recruits - and definitely needs the right assistants.

RG could really use a HC that is great with donors...

Tedford gets a 5 second mention on ESPN and thats it.

Miles gets 30 seconds on day 1, and a weekly follow up from there, and immediately moves to the front of a pretty talented PAC 12 coaches fraternity.

He would be the only National Championship coach I believe in the league.

Recruiting would get a jump immediately, and of course the assistants become critical.

We/me are also setting myself up for a big fail if he does not get hired. Tedford is not really my second favorite choice but he would have actual coaching advantages especially with our currently strong QB room and of course keeping Evans locked in!

The audience that would care about Miles being on ESPN are going to be predominantly over the age of 45, still watch cable instead of Netflix, and live southeast of Stillwater.

I’m not entirely sold on the correlation between ESPN’s publicity and how that might translate into recruiting, money for the program, and relevance.

Any data to back up the Miles effect, or is that mostly opinion based on instinct?

The audience that would care about Miles being on ESPN are going to be predominantly over the age of 45, still watch cable instead of Netflix, and live southeast of Stillwater.

I’m not entirely sold on the correlation between ESPN’s publicity and how that might translate into recruiting, money for the program, and relevance.

Any data to back up the Miles effect, or is that mostly opinion based on instinct?
Your big donors are not young and hip. It’s the demographic that decided Lady Gaga was a good artist because she did The Voice and then cut a duet album with Tony Bennett.

While I fit the age demographic you describe (but not the other two), you don't think kids/players these days watch College Gameday? I know my boy is into it.

CU needs to be discussed nationally again. Miles' legitimacy definitely helps that. If you get a big name who has won a national championship, you hype it, market it, and get on sports channels.

Kids definitely still watch ESPN as do adults and donors. http://www.nationalmediaspots.com/network-demographics/ESPN.pdf

Others have better scouting opinions about the coaching search than I do, but I think Miles would be solid. I'd bet a lot of others on the board are more concerned about botching the hire than picking nits about whether Miles vs. Lake vs. <fill-in-a-top-candidate> is the grand slam guy.

Last edited:
i mentioned it elsewhere, but i think it is nearly certain that if mm is let go, the next hc, whomever it is, will receive the biggest contract in CU history. that's just the game now.

CU needs to be discussed nationally again. Miles' legitimacy definitely helps that. If you get a big name who has won a national championship, you hype it, market it, and get on sports channels.
This. But I have been singularly unimpressed with the ADs media chops.

Any chance takes less the first couple of years with the LSU offset, say 2.5-3 mil and year 3 it jumps to 4.5 to 5 to keep up with current salaries?
Does LSU pay that no matter whether he gets another job or is the new job offset against the $1.5M a year Miles gets as a payoff over time?

Does LSU pay that no matter whether he gets another job or is the new job offset against the $1.5M a year Miles gets as a payoff over time?
I thought I read he gets full contract value and LSU puts up any difference. I think the contract got averaged out instead of escalating every year.

I thought I read he gets full contract value and LSU puts up any difference. I think the contract got averaged out instead of escalating every year.
I know he was at $4.4M at LSU and that they tripled the length while turning it into monthly payments. But I have no idea whether that money is clean & clear or if it goes away if Miles takes another job that pays more than LSU is paying him. Obviously the best case for a school that wanted to hire him would be if Miles was making $1.5M from LSU and you could pay him $3M to make him whole at the pay scale he was at.

Not sure if this answers the question but from the SI article:
LSU still owes the coach about $6.5 million over the next four years, according to language in his contract. Miles receives roughly $133,000 a month, but that buyout is offset by any new compensation he earns.

Not sure if this answers the question but from the SI article:
Thank you.

So the money LSU is paying him is irrelevant to the school that hires him because Miles will be paid more than the LSU buyout if he takes a P5 head coaching position.

The only relevance to it is for LSU and for the leverage Miles has (he doesn't need to take a job).

Back