What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Let's talk about our defense

jaybird

Club Member
Club Member
While we are all celebrating this great win, and the ease it seemed our offense could move the ball, our defense was the opposite. While we had over 500 years on offense, we also gave up over 500 yards.

Pass coverage I thought was good(we obviously have talent here), but our run defense was poor. We gave up 262 yards on the ground today.

What are you thoughts on if we can improve here? What do you think of Kelly? Our DL, linebackers? Or is it just that TCUs run game is really good?

While we are all celebrating this great win, and the ease it seemed our offense could move the ball, our defense was the opposite. While we had over 500 years on offense, we also gave up over 500 yards.

Pass coverage I thought was good(we obviously have talent here), but our run defense was poor. We gave up 262 yards on the ground today.

What are you thoughts on if we can improve here? What do you think of Kelly? Our DL, linebackers? Or is it just that TCUs run game is really good?
How does that compare to other Big 12 schools vs TCU in 2022? I think that spread I pretty hard to defend.

I am not going to worry about the defense until Monday....

I did mention in the game thread that we are thin at the DL... but we solved that problem today by scoring.

I trust our coaching.

I think the LB corp gets better when JuJu gets on the field.

I think Bishop will develop as the season progresses to give us a + talent dawg to get into the backfield and be disruptive. (Payne's a rotational guy, not a starter.)

Other opponents will play schemes which will allow Kennedy to dial up a lot more blitzes.

We won't see our run D as a team strength this year, but I think it will develop well enough to be competitive and keep offenses honest.

I trust our coaching.

I think the LB corp gets better when JuJu gets on the field.

I think Bishop will develop as the season progresses to give us a + talent dawg to get into the backfield and be disruptive. (Payne's a rotational guy, not a starter.)

Other opponents will play schemes which will allow Kennedy to dial up a lot more blitzes.

We won't see our run D as a team strength this year, but I think it will develop well enough to be competitive and keep offenses honest.
Its a little worrisome going into a game against a team who can't throw....but Nebraska comes down to this offense. If we move the ball like we did today, we handle the corn.

Defense will get better and they will have more time to communicate for the next couple weeks. I think they are still trying to grasp this complicated defense

This was big imo. We got pressure a few times, but not enough.

Maybe part of it is the defensive playbook learning curve. Hopefully things improve or we will have a big glaring hole in our game.

My thoughts? Made enough stops to win a game on the road against a top 20 team. Something the Buffs haven’t done since 2002. My thoughts are you should shutdafukup. Badass game and badass win. Let the coaches handle where we need to improve.

I expect to see drastic improvements for the run defense next week, especially against a very one dimensional Nebraska team. Our DBs won't break a sweat against their WRs and noodle armed QB, so our front 7 should slow down their run game significantly.

I have to believe our lack of depth was exploited a bit due to the intense heat. The limits on substitutions along with the heat had to have drained us as the game progressed. We shouldn’t have to deal with those conditions again.

I suppose a counterpoint is that we led in TOP by 10 minutes yet TCU scored 42.

Dykes runs a lot of stuff that requires solid coordination between defenders.

First game action for a defense made up of guys from all over the place it's not a surprise that they got burned. As they play together that will improve a lot, and the teams they are playing won't be as good at it.

Still need a better performance from the DL.

Consider how many times last year we looked worse that this against bad teams? We are still a work in progress but the defense this year will be much better than last years.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say, TCU’s O-line is better than Nubs’, and our D-line/DE/EDGE are better than Minnesota’s.
CU does not have to honor the pass the way they did against TCU. If they don't do a better job against the run then we won't deserve to win. Load the box

Back