What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lets talk Askia

Is askia the only player in the pac to take desperation 3s? Where do his peers rank?

bump each of those by 10%, how many more games do we win?

to be fair, upper 30's % from mid-range is perfectly acceptable. The thing is, we don't want any of them shooting many of those shots. They're inefficient, you don't draw fouls from the mid-range and you don't really want an offense around them. I also don't think that a lot of the criticism on booker is fair, as said before who else can create and be reliable that you want to shoot?

I do encourage everybody to read this - How Iowa State eliminated the mid-range jumper

It's an issue with the offense, we run a lot of isolation pick and roll and if that doesn't work there isn't much else to go with. How many people remember SHT (simba) dropping dimes against UNLV in ABQ? It was because there were cutters, scott dan't stand a chance in the post when the double comes so fast and there isn't anybody at the high post to outlet to and the double is coming from the weak side, he can't pass to the wing either b/c when than double comes from the weak side he the wing's defender is on him super tight, his only chance is to dribble out.

Buffnik said it the other day, and Rumblin and I discussed it on twitter the other day, this team is built for the triangle. We'll see what happens, we've got guys like Wes, thomas and Scott who can pass out of the post, but they just aren't given the opportunities.

to be fair, upper 30's % from mid-range is perfectly acceptable. The thing is, we don't want any of them shooting many of those shots. They're inefficient, you don't draw fouls from the mid-range and you don't really want an offense around them. I also don't think that a lot of the criticism on booker is fair, as said before who else can create and be reliable that you want to shoot?

I do encourage everybody to read this - How Iowa State eliminated the mid-range jumper

It's an issue with the offense, we run a lot of isolation pick and roll and if that doesn't work there isn't much else to go with. How many people remember SHT (simba) dropping dimes against UNLV in ABQ? It was because there were cutters, scott dan't stand a chance in the post when the double comes so fast and there isn't anybody at the high post to outlet to and the double is coming from the weak side, he can't pass to the wing either b/c when than double comes from the weak side he the wing's defender is on him super tight, his only chance is to dribble out.

Buffnik said it the other day, and Rumblin and I discussed it on twitter the other day, this team is built for the triangle. We'll see what happens, we've got guys like Wes, thomas and Scott who can pass out of the post, but they just aren't given the opportunities.

Thanks jg... I'll rep you when I'm not on tapatalk...

13.2% isn't all that small for desperation 3's.

What is Askia's percentage when you take out the desperation shots?

Also - good article regarding Iowa State. It is maddening to me the number of long 2's that Askia takes. Some of those shots if he'd just step back a half step, it's a 3 and I have no problem with that shot if it's in rhythm.
Mid-range jumpers are only worth two points, but feature almost the same degree of difficulty as most three-point shots. NCAA tournament teams are shooting 34.9% on all two-point jump shots outside of the paint this season. That’s only a half a percentage point better than the average three-point shooting percentage.

Pretty accurate description of some issues. Not that I know anything about the Triangle offense, but we got to find a better strategy for the Josh Scott double teams. He's got no chance when it comes that quick, in the set we are in.

I can't help wondering when our offense looks really bad (those long draughts) if a top offensive recruit would think twice about coming here. On one hand, I'd think they would see how they could easily "be the man". But on the other hand, they'd have to wonder if they'd be handicapped.

The system hasn't changed, his shooting keeps getting worse. That's reality.

He's streaky and he went into a slump in the fall of 2012 and emerged at times after Spencer's injury.

I never said that his shooting hasn't gotten worse, just that the system hasn't been of any help. I don't think he's ever going to be a high percentage shooter, but somebody had to take shots when there's nobody else on the team to do so. It can be argued that he was forced into worse shots than he would take otherwise.

Also, it's interesting that you say it's "reality" that Askia's shooting keeps getting worse, even though his shooting percentage went up this season from last season.

Not the biggest sample but kind of amazed at Wallace given he shot 32 percent from 3 on the year.

Late offense

Jahii 5-17
Tyronne wallace 8-19
Nick Johnson 3-19
cj wilcox 7-14

If you want me to look anybody else, let me know

Not the biggest sample but kind of amazed at Wallace given he shot 32 percent from 3 on the year.

I was actually more surprised that cobbs wasn't taking the shots late in the offense, 1-5 at the rim, 3-8'on 2 pt j's and a shocking 0-4 on 3's in the last 5 seconds of the clock.

I'm guessing Wallace was the beneficiary of Cobb's kick outs.

I was actually more surprised that cobbs wasn't taking the shots late in the offense, 1-5 at the rim, 3-8'on 2 pt j's and a shocking 0-4 on 3's in the last 5 seconds of the clock.

Thanks jgi. So as I suspected CU doesn't have a giant issue forcing Askia to take a lot of bad 3's. Askia is the 3rd worst 3pt% shooter in the entire Pac-12 of those who shot more than 60 attempts. The two "ahead" of him play for USC and Wazzu. Also the gap between Askia and 4th worst is 3%

Last edited:
Thanks jgi. So as I suspected CU doesn't have a giant issue forcing Askia to take a lot of bad 3's. Askia is the 3rd worst 3pt% shooter in the entire Pac-12 of those who shot more than 60 attempts. The two "ahead" of him play for USC and Wazzu. Also the gap between Askia and 4th worst is 3%

Of those players, how many have taken >30% of their teams shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of those players, how many have taken >30% of their teams shots?

So this is the excuse now?

1. Dinwiddie going down negatively affected his shooting (28% with Dinwiddie)
2. We run such a crappy offense he is forced to take bad 3's as the shot clock expires (other Pac-12 guards compare similarly)
3. Now he takes too many shots? I'm not even going to bother looking into those totals

It's ok to call a spade a spade. Askia is on 2 full seasons of pretty much terrible 3pt shooting, yet nobody seems to care and continually makes every excuse in the book

2. We run such a crappy offense he is forced to take bad 3's as the shot clock expires (other Pac-12 guards compare similarly)
3. Now he takes too many shots? I'm not even going to bother looking into those totals

It's ok to call a spade a spade. Askia is on 2 full seasons of pretty much terrible 3pt shooting, yet nobody seems to care and continually makes every excuse in the book

What's your alternative to Ski shooting?

No it's just not all %'s are made equal. One would expect a player who takes nearly 1/3rd of his teams shots to have a lower shooting% than someone who shoots much fewer but shoots at a high %.

The Buffs stand around a lot and wait for ski to take a shot. Also they start their plays so far from the hoop it is not good. The bottom line is C.U. has a bad offensive scheme.

i was just reading through this again, i mean come on slider, you know better than to think that anybody has ever given ski a pass around here.

If you honestly think that, you haven't been reading this board or Rivals the past 2 seasons.

Without Ski on the floor working his ass off this team doesn't make the tourney this season.

Just so happens there is a former coach working in the CU AD that knows a thing or two about the Triangle, and had plenty of success with it.

If you honestly think that, you haven't been reading this board or Rivals the past 2 seasons.

Without Ski on the floor working his ass off this team doesn't make the tourney this season.

Ya he gets heat but as you see the majority in this thread are blaming everyone but Askia for his abysmal shooting. I guess mostly tini discounting every stat, so I shouldn't look too much into it. I don't think it's outrageous to suggest that one of the worst shooters in the entire conference should have a diminished shooting role if we want to take the next step. We're not talking bad, we're talking really, really bad shooting and going on two full seasons.

Ya he gets heat but as you see the majority in this thread are blaming everyone but Askia for his abysmal shooting. I guess mostly tini discounting every stat, so I shouldn't look too much into it. I don't think it's outrageous to suggest that one of the worst shooters in the entire conference should have a diminished shooting role if we want to take the next step. We're not talking bad, we're talking really, really bad shooting and going on two full seasons.
You seem to be downplaying how much heat Askia has gotten here. You''re a frequent poster and I know you've seen. C'mon now Slider.

So is the answer you want that Ski is a horrible shooter from 3-point range? He is...he is much better on the drive but has a hard time finishing at the rim because of his size....I like Ski best when he drives hard, plants and shoots the 15-foot pull-up jumper. But, is that an efficient shot to base your offense around?

I guess you lack the ability to think critically. EVERYONE has been tough on Ski, but people are applying critical thinking skills to it. It's not black and white like you are trying to portray it.

You mean its ok to call a spade a spade if they agree with you?

Booker has gotten plenty of heat on here, if you dont believe that use the search feature - him going 2-9 is not what buried us against Pitt, you and I both know that. Pitt shooting 51% from the floor had a **** ton more to do with it. Also your steadfast refusal to come up with a better solution to booker chucking, or to admit that him throwing prayers up just trying to hit the rim with 2 seconds left in the shot clock because our offense stagnated after an iso pick and roll is kind of ridiculous.

Ski takes 4 types of shots - transition early in the shot clock (effective) dibble drive early (effective) midrange (not a good shot but as seen by the numbers he hits them) and a pile of late prayers. His numbers are driven down by a number of things - those late shots and his habit of driving wildly to the rack trying to draw a foul. Neither of those shots have any realistic chance of going in but the former has to be taken by someone and the later racks up fould on opposing players and since booker shoots 80% from the line are quite a nice option. So yes he gets a pass on chuckign the ball with 3 seconds left on the clock, and he gets a pass for driving hard to the rack becuase in most cases under these new rules it is a foul or a bucket.

Looking at Booker's overall numbers yes he shot the three ball poorly but until XJ went on a tear late in the year and stopped moving into his shots he was shooting the ball worse than Ski - if you look at Bookers numbers year over year and take out your "insignificant" 20% of his shots and his true shooting % and eFG% skyrocket. In the last 5 seconds of the shot clock hes 18.% as a shooter outside of that he is a 46% shooter from the floor - he gets asked to chuck and pray - it effects his numbers.

Sorry your frustrated about Pitt - **** happens.

Also we won 23 games this year get over it.

You mean its ok to call a spade a spade if they agree with you?

Booker has gotten plenty of heat on here, if you dont believe that use the search feature - him going 2-9 is not what buried us against Pitt, you and I both know that. Pitt shooting 51% from the floor had a **** ton more to do with it. Also your steadfast refusal to come up with a better solution to booker chucking, or to admit that him throwing prayers up just trying to hit the rim with 2 seconds left in the shot clock because our offense stagnated after an iso pick and roll is kind of ridiculous.

Ski takes 4 types of shots - transition early in the shot clock (effective) dibble drive early (effective) midrange (not a good shot but as seen by the numbers he hits them) and a pile of late prayers. His numbers are driven down by a number of things - those late shots and his habit of driving wildly to the rack trying to draw a foul. Neither of those shots have any realistic chance of going in but the former has to be taken by someone and the later racks up fould on opposing players and since booker shoots 80% from the line are quite a nice option. So yes he gets a pass on chuckign the ball with 3 seconds left on the clock, and he gets a pass for driving hard to the rack becuase in most cases under these new rules it is a foul or a bucket.

Sorry your frustrated about Pitt - **** happens.

Also we won 23 games this year get over it.
I sincerely hope no one is pinning the Pitt loss on ONE player. It was a dreadful performance by the entire team, they all deserve blame including the coaching performance. And yeah, Pitt really showed up. They were also the better team.

I think this thread is a damn good idea. I do think that we need to talk Askia.

13.7 ppg (third on the team behind Jelly & Spencer)
3.3 apg (second on the team, behind Spencer)
1.3 spg (second on the team, barely behind Spencer)
3.7 rpg (as a midget guard - fourth on the team behind Jelly, Wes and XJ)
81.8% ft shooter (second on team behind Spencer)
30.5 mpg (third behind Jelly and Spencer)
25.8% assist rate (second on team, barely behind Spencer and 181st in the nation)
2.5% steal rating (tied for second on team with JHop behind Spencer and 385th in the nation)
2.3 fouls per 40 minutes (220th in the nation, tied with Jelly for team lead)
481 points this season - tied with Donnie Boyce's 1994-95 season for the 29th best single season in school history
45 steals this season - tied with Toney Ellis (1978-79) for 25th single season in school history
116 assists this season - tied with Donnie Boyce (1993-94) and Jay Humphries (1981-82) for 21st best single season in school history

And those are this season's numbers.

How about career numbers?

1,208 points scored as a Buffalo - #19 in school history, passing Vince Kelly. If he does exactly what he did this year scoring wise, that would put him at 1,689 points - or #7 in CU's all-time scoring list.
236 assists as a Buffalo - #18 in school history, passing Howard Frier. Some of that was because he played the point more this year due to Spencer going down. Next year, Dom will probably get a lot of PG PT, so let's say his numbers find a happy medium between his jr and sophomore years. If so, he'll finish around 325 assists - which will put him at #10 in CU history (and striking distance of #8 & #9).
111 steals as a Buffalo - tied for #11 with Nate Tomlinson. If he does the exact same number as he did this year, he'll finish at #8 in school history - right behind Dre.

Most importantly? Barring something no one wants to see next year, Ski is going to leave campus with the most wins in school history. No one will have won more games than Ski when he leaves Boulder and goes on to the next stage of his career.

I'm glad we're talking Askia. He gets a lot of **** on these boards (and honestly, a portion of that falls on me as last year I focused too much on the "negatives" Ski brought instead of the positives), but I'm glad that we can finally point out the good things that he brings to CU.

His number should be in contention to go to the rafters.

Back