What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Letter from Bruce Benson

Well, I guess this is hard to measure. Picture the U in the 80s. Thug life. Gangbangers in pads. This overshadowed greatly the fact that UMiami was a pretty good private university. Sure football put them on the map, but for the right reasons? You can argue, as Mick did somewhat, that CU had a similar halo effect during our glory years.

I think you make some good points, but I dont see how it is possible to sacrifice academics for sports. Athletes make up less than 1% of the student population, and even if they all had the IQ of Alan Grayson, the impact would be minimal on the university. Maybe you mean financially, but most sports related expenditures are separately funded from the academic side. A great sports program costs next to nothing in academic prestige, but the benefits are profound.

Well, I guess this is hard to measure. Picture the U in the 80s. Thug life. Gangbangers in pads. This overshadowed greatly the fact that UMiami was a pretty good private university. Sure football put them on the map, but for the right reasons? You can argue, as Mick did somewhat, that CU had a similar halo effect during our glory years.

I seem to remember an unprecidented increase in construction of new buildings at UM after they started winning football games, and enrollment applications skyrocketed. Right reasons, or not, football was very good to UM, and CU too.

:wave: ummm.... I came to CU in 1991 partly because of football....

but unfortunatly i do not qualify as a trustafarian..... :smokin:

atleast i did bring up the avg gpa... :goldcup: so you can't blame me for bringing us down to the Indianas of the world....

:thumbsup:

If it weren't for the liberal arts majors around here, this place would be overrun by accountants, attorneys and IT geeks.

:wave: ummm.... I came to CU in 1991 partly because of football....

but unfortunatly i do not qualify as a trustafarian..... :smokin:

atleast i did bring up the avg gpa... :goldcup: so you can't blame me for bringing us down to the Indianas of the world....

:thumbsup:

Damn Philly, you and I were there at the same time!:thumbsup: Came because my old man beat CU into me the minute I was born - did the same to my kids...

If it weren't for the liberal arts majors around here, this place would be overrun by accountants, attorneys and IT geeks.

Don't forget us engi-nerds jackass! :smile2:

Don't forget us engi-nerds jackass! :smile2:

Consider it a compliment not to be lumped in with those guys.

For street cred, the Engi-nerds would need to steal the soul of Allbuffs and stage a coup to overthrow the Barzilian Junta.

As it is, engi-nerds make great neighbors by keeping the yards mowed and not causing a big fuss.

You engi-nerds are way less annoying than the Husker law enforcement professionals who live in a van down by the river.

Back